IGNORED

Picked up a C128 at the Houston Arcade Expo yesterday

Mitkraft

I had a Mac Portable that I'd intended to refurb but was really just one in way to many projects I wasn't getting around to so I took it up to the swap meet with some other stuff. Ended up trading it to a nice couple for a boxed C128, printer, and some cash. I'll probably sell the printer because I really don't have any need for vintage printing but I'm excited to have the C128. The only 8-bit computer I still really wanted and didn't have was a C64 since that was the very first computer I was exposed to. Since a C128 is compatible with C64 stuff I figured I could satisfy my C64 needs with it.

So now begins the process of learning all about the C128 and what I need to get it set up the way I want.

The first item on the todo list is figure out how to hook it up. Optimally I'd like to hook it up via VGA so I can switch between my old Packard Bell, TI 99/4A (with F18A) and the C128 on the same monitor. I did some quick searching and will have to do more but I didn't immediately see killer pre-made solution like the F18A. I'll do some more digging but feel free to point me in the right direction.

Next up will be checking on multi cart or flash disk options.

I think I have a lot to learn and of course AtariAge as always will be the goto resource!

The 40 column mode on the C128 will require some kind of splitter from S-Video to RGB and then an upscaler to get a VGA signal. There probably are solutions, but none that is straightforward. The 80 column mode already is digital RGBI so it needs only a way to bring down the levels to lower voltages plus an upscaler. You might be a little more lucky to find a such converter, but only a few programs run in 80 columns mode. A common newbie mistake is to assume that the RGBI output on the C128 handles both modes, while it is exclusive for 80 column mode as the C128 contains two different video chips for respective mode.

SD card solutions are much easier, ranging from SD2IEC thogh 1541 Ultimate series with varying degree of functionality and price range.

• Like 1

The EasyFlash is excellent, though it takes some skill to program unless the latest models have an outside accessible USB interface or similar?

Yes they do. And a program to flash the cartridge is built in now, so you can flash stuff using your Commodore and an SD drive, 1541, etc.

Re: VGA out, anyone know if/when the Turbo Chameleon is going to be re-released? Seems like a super hot product, but with low production for whatever reasons.

https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/de/shop/product/Turbo_Chameleon_64.html

• Like 1

The first item on the todo list is figure out how to hook it up. Optimally I'd like to hook it up via VGA so I can switch between my old Packard Bell, TI 99/4A (with F18A) and the C128 on the same monitor. I did some quick searching and will have to do more but I didn't immediately see killer pre-made solution like the F18A. I'll do some more digging but feel free to point me in the right direction.

Next up will be checking on multi cart or flash disk options.

I think I have a lot to learn and of course AtariAge as always will be the goto resource!

The Commodore 8 bit computers has the capability of Composite and SVideo output easily plugged into a regular TV. If you really want to upscale to VGA monitor, be sure to maximize the 128 by bulling the SVideo feed. Many 8 bit computers are forgotten in retro gaming, most already have a game cart library and have easy cable adapters capability hooking up to a TV, Composite monitor or even an HD TV composite input.

I’m not really interested in upscaling. I’d prefer to get the best possible native output (mods like the F18A are ok). Looks like the C128 is an unusual animal due to the dual mode.

I did recently find a TV with scarf on the curb. If that works I could have the best of all worlds.

The VDC chip that produces the 80 column display in C128 mode is quite programmable, up to 720x700 pixels ultra hires interlaced IIRC if you can find a display that syncs to that graphics mode! It won't be pretty but quite amazing from a home computer released in 1985. You can also get it to generate a 320x400 pixel display that will sync at 31 kHz VGA, which is used in a Boulder Dash-like game in development. You would still need a RGBI to analog RGB converter, at least voltage dividers made from resistors, and then wire the signal into a HD15 connector. However besides from that game I don't know of any software that runs in that screen mode. Perhaps in the future there will be some, but then again in the 40 column mode you get 320x200 pixels at 15 kHz and hardware sprites on top of that so other than getting a video mode that will sync on VGA displays, possibly it is mostly a proof of point.

So far as I know, there are no F18A-like upgrades for the C64 or 128. The luma/chroma output is compatible with S-Video with a resistor (330 ohm on the chroma, I think,) which up-scales just fine with the right up-scaler (240p problem... too lazy to type, just Google it.)

That said, the 80 column VDC output has some conversion to VGA which can be done with a couple of different projects (I think I got mine from the guys at GG Labs) and a Gonbes 8220 (which EVERYONE is using, they work great and are pretty much dirt-cheap.)

BTW, that is a right purty machine you got there.

• Like 1

80-column RGB digital-to-VGA converter at

http://bit-c128.com

40-column composite/s-video-to-HDMI converter at

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1080P-HDMI-To-3-RCA-AV-CVBS-Composite-S-Video-R-L-Audio-Converter-Adapter-USA/222429254484?epid=1140068747&hash=item33c9d11354:g:3S0AAOSwdGFYulqk

Both work very well,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group

http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

Thanks! I had seen this one while searching and it looked to be the most promising. I needed to read it further and better understand it all and what pieces I'd need but it looks like in the end using that and a Gnobes I could end up with proper native resolution VGA in both 40 and 80 column modes. Not super cheap but not too expensive either. I have a curb find TV in the garage I need to check out and see if it might become the monitor for this project since it has SCART (super rare here in the US) which I think would effect which parts I'd need. Thanks for the link as I'd forgotten about stumbling on that one.

80-column RGB digital-to-VGA converter at

http://bit-c128.com

40-column composite/s-video-to-HDMI converter at

There are loads of 80 columns programs for this machine. Just use 128 and CP/M modes. There are ways to get to VGA, but the C-64 side doesn't like these at all. Very poor quality displays in most cases.

The easiest display is to use an old Commodore monitor that was made for the C-128 - from the 1902, to the 2002, 1080, or 1084/1084S. These give a excellent 40 colum, C-64 display, and a very good 80 column display for 128 and CP/M. What ever you use, The Gnobes adapters are crap. You're throwing money away with these devices.

The C-128 is a very interesting machine, from its BASIC 7, to many possible hardware upgrades.

Edited by motrucker