IGNORED

[SOLD] Apple II Software Mystery Box

BigO

You can ship it USPS Media Mail I do it all the time, just put a label (or note) on the box that it is ok to open for inspection and list the contents as Computer Floppy Disk. No one will give you any problems no matter what is on the media.

I have even shipped Floppies still in the flip top case, that have been opened for inspection and approved.

You can ship it USPS Media Mail I do it all the time, just put a label (or note) on the box that it is ok to open for inspection and list the contents as Computer Floppy Disk. No one will give you any problems no matter what is on the media.

I have even shipped Floppies still in the flip top case, that have been opened for inspection and approved.

It's not just floppy disks. There's original packaging for a variety of software. I wonder if that would make a difference in the scenario you experienced.

I personally don't comprehend why it being a game would make a difference.

I didn't envision this thread turning into an actual interesting, tangential discussion. :)

It's not just floppy disks. There's original packaging for a variety of software. I wonder if that would make a difference in the scenario you experienced.

I didn't envision this thread turning into an actual interesting, tangential discussion. :)

Sometimes it just depends on the USPS employee who looks in the box - it is left up to their interpretation (or if they are having a good/bad day). Sometimes the box never gets opened or inspected.

BTW - FedEx ground would be $31.83 to me. Not too bad.

UPS would be $35.68.

It wont make a difference at all. It has been my experience that if you put that note on the box ( "Computer Floppy Disk - Postal Worker OK to Open to Inspect") they never do. WORST case the they will send it back to you and say no go, so nothing to lose for trying.

The USPS link on Media Mail does state under qualified items (https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/173.htm), "Computer-readable media containing prerecorded information and guides or scripts prepared solely for use with such media." But that is so vague that I guess they leave it up to the inspector to make the call? So I guess if there's a catalog or a flyer advertising other products included with the contents of the software package, that may be a disqualifier.

I just tend to avoid Media Mail unless I'm shipping a book.

• Like 1

The USPS link on Media Mail does state under qualified items (https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/173.htm), "Computer-readable media containing prerecorded information and guides or scripts prepared solely for use with such media." But that is so vague that I guess they leave it up to the inspector to make the call? So I guess if there's a catalog or a flyer advertising other products included with the contents of the software package, that may be a disqualifier.

I just tend to avoid Media Mail unless I'm shipping a book.

I'd just about bet that there is something in there that one could qualify as advertising. Not sure how hard an inspector would look, but I tend to follow your tendency.

The short answer for media mail is: Software yes, video games no.

Productivity software (word processors, operating system discs, etc.) are fine. Educational software is fine. Edutainment software is probably fine, provided the focus is more on education than on entertainment: those Fisher Price math CDs with little games featuring that Frogger knock-off mascot probably wouldn't stir up any ire, but real-guitar game RockSmith would likely be frowned upon. Simulation games is where you really start hitting a gray area. Anything beyond that, forget it. Console discs are right out.

Having said all that, a big box of random old computer disks, most of which are probably productivity and educational software or other "back-up" disks, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over sending it Media Mail. If you really want to keep your conscience clean, though, I'd suggest what others have already suggested, and compare USPS vs. FedEx and UPS rates.

I'm curious what's in this box. I'll make a $70+shipping bid.

Edited by FujiSkunk
  • Like 1

Cool, thats reletivly close. heres my offer. its less then the other guys but i dunno how much you may value the convience.

$60 cash, so no paypal fees or transfers to bother with. I'll come to you so no lugging the disks to the PO, no messing with postage or lines or worrying about things getting lost in the mail.

I at least thought I would try :)