Photo

Which system had the better Library 3DO or Sega Saturn? (No imports)

95 replies to this topic

Poll: Which system had the better Library 3DO or Sega Saturn? (No imports) (51 member(s) have cast votes)

Which has the better library (No imports)

1. 3DO (3 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

2. Sega Saturn (48 votes [94.12%])

Percentage of vote: 94.12%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#76 godslabrat OFFLINE  

godslabrat

River Patroller

• 4,324 posts
  • I took the midnight train going a-ny-where...

Posted Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:35 PM

Why would we deny that a poll is subjective?

#77 JaguarVision OFFLINE  

JaguarVision

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 171 posts

Posted Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:45 PM

That's happened a few times already if you look back.

Anyway, I always found it interesting the 3DO to my knowledge never had a 3D fighter and the Jaguar did although from what we know of the two the 3DO was more capable of doing that.

But, in the U.S. at least, outside of Mortal Kombat and Tekken I don't think there were any other major 3D fighters until Soul Calibur Dreamcast.

#78 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Launch Edition

• 6,026 posts
  • Remember how bright the future used to look?

Posted Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:16 PM

But, in the U.S. at least, outside of Mortal Kombat and Tekken I don't think there were any other major 3D fighters until Soul Calibur Dreamcast.

1. Mortal Kombat was 2D

2. Battle Arena Toshinden? Virtua Fighter? Soul Edge/Blade?

Edited by BassGuitari, Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:17 PM.

#79 keepdreamin OFFLINE  

keepdreamin

Dragonstomper

• 945 posts

Posted Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:17 PM

That's happened a few times already if you look back.

Liar.    :)

Everyone has just been saying it's a ridiculous question.  Like if you asked whether we'd prefer a steak dinner, or dropping a cinder block on our bare feet.

Edited by keepdreamin, Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:19 PM.

#80 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• 10,464 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:40 PM

I don't even want to know what you would consider "major." Serious question: how old were you in 1995?

1. Mortal Kombat was 2D

2. Battle Arena Toshinden? Virtua Fighter? Soul Edge/Blade?

Virtua Fighter was out in arcades in 1994, and on Saturn in early 1995, with Remix out by the fall. That's a major 3D fighting game and was exclusive to Sega.

Also out in 1995 were Tekken, Battle Arena Toshinden, and Zero Divide on Playstation in the US. 1996 brought Criticom, Toshinden 2, Tekken 2, and Star Gladiator. 1997 brought Soul Blade, Toshinden 3, Bushido Blade, Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha, Bloody Roar, Fighting Force, and Star Wars Masters of Teras Kasi. Any of these had more sales and fans than anything on 3DO (ever), and all predate Soul Calibur which didn't come to the US until fall of 1999. 

I'm done replying to you, because it seems like you get off on argument rather than discussion. Plonk!

#81 JaguarVision OFFLINE  

JaguarVision

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 171 posts

Posted Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:21 PM

Uh in the U.S. the only major 3D fighters before Dreamcast SC (I suppose you can count early hype for 3tb) were Mortsl Kombat 4 and Tekken. Battle arena and Saturn fighter were a blip in sales it's like there's revisionist history here.

I think there might be one more 3 D fighting game I forgot but it was primarily MK and Tekken all the N64 fighters were generally flops. Not sure how that's debatable.

Looking at flojos post you would think Fighting Vipers was a popular selling fighting game in NA. Uh.. no?

The point was that I found it strange that the Jaguar got a 3D fighter (2?) While the 3 DO that's arguably more capable didn't. Well there's Ball but eh...

#82 JaguarVision OFFLINE  

JaguarVision

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 171 posts

Posted Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:27 PM

Also Get outsold most of the games you listed on 3DO alone. How big do you think Zero Dividee were in the us/na the region specified in this thread?

http://m.neogaf.com/...read.php?t=7640

Only games on that list are Tekken, M 4 and Soul Blade.

#83 keepdreamin OFFLINE  

keepdreamin

Dragonstomper

• 945 posts

Posted Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:28 PM

oh, god.  You're not a refugee from neogaf are you?   :-o

it makes sense though.

Edited by keepdreamin, Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:29 PM.

#84 JaguarVision OFFLINE  

JaguarVision

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 171 posts

Posted Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:35 PM

Those are npd sales numbers showing my statement that there were only a few popular 3D fighters in NA right.

Please provide a counter link if you think I'm wrong.

(Also I've been on this forum awhile)

#85 Black_Tiger OFFLINE  

Black_Tiger

Moonsweeper

• 327 posts

Posted Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:51 PM

Uh in the U.S. the only major 3D fighters before Dreamcast SC (I suppose you can count early hype for 3tb) were Mortsl Kombat 4 and Tekken. Battle arena and Saturn fighter were a blip in sales it's like there's revisionist history here.
I think there might be one more 3 D fighting game I forgot but it was primarily MK and Tekken all the N64 fighters were generally flops. Not sure how that's debatable.
Looking at flojos post you would think Fighting Vipers was a popular selling fighting game in NA. Uh.. no?
The point was that I found it strange that the Jaguar got a 3D fighter (2?) While the 3 DO that's arguably more capable didn't. Well there's Ball but eh...

If sales numbers are your measure of legitmacy, then the 3DO doesn't have any games that count.

Here are some certified hit 3D fighters for Playstation which received Greatest Hits reprints:

Toshinden
Digimon Rumble Arena
Soul Blade
Mortal Kombat 4
Tekken
Tekken 2
Tekken 3
X-Men Mutant Academy

Obviously other 3D fighters for Playstation sold well and/or had an impact. Street Fighter EX and the 3D Star Wars fighter were a big deal when they came out.

The measure of success of Saturn 3D fighters should be proportionate to the install base. Virtua Fighter 2 and Fighters Megamix sold well for sure and Last Bronx, Fighting Vipers and VR Remix were obviously major releases.

#86 JaguarVision OFFLINE  

JaguarVision

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 171 posts

Posted Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:59 PM

No they were not. Look at the npd list they were not even major hits for the system. Launch hype is at best all they had. Can't even hit 250k for a lot of them with the promotions. It was as shown, is NA, Tekken, MK4, and Soul Blade.

As for Saturn and N64 the fighters on those systems adjusted for install base don't change the picture for NA sales at all.

But again the point wasn't Fighters in NA, it's that the 3DO basically none, outside maybe Ball, while the Jaguar, a weaker console might have had two. Maybe the 3DO 3D wasn't suited for 3D fighters.

Edited by JaguarVision, Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:00 PM.

#87 zylon OFFLINE  

zylon

Quadrunner

• 6,152 posts
  • 5200 HSC Mod

Posted Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:08 PM

3D fighters weren't my interest then and only became a small part of my library at best, but VF2 is a tough one to count towards sales as it was part of a 1-cent pack bundle available w/purchase of a Saturn V2. If you bought a system at the $199.99 price, you could opt to add on a game 3-pack for a penny consisting of Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop, and Daytona USA.

I did get the add on pack, but maybe played VF2 about 10min in my lifetime, lol.

Edited by zylon, Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:09 PM.

#88 phoenixdownita OFFLINE  

phoenixdownita

River Patroller

• 2,823 posts

Posted Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:03 PM

Not sure why the staunch defense of an untenable position?

I understand HE likes the 3DO more, sure ... but that's it.

#89 digdugnate OFFLINE  

digdugnate

Dragonstomper

• 711 posts

Posted Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:30 AM

2600problems... is that you? ;)

#90 godslabrat OFFLINE  

godslabrat

River Patroller

• 4,324 posts
  • I took the midnight train going a-ny-where...

Posted Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:50 AM

2600problems... is that you? ;)

I dunno, but I feel like I've heard this before...

#91 Montrealer OFFLINE  

Montrealer

Space Invader

• 11 posts

Posted Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:39 PM

I love 3DO and it's my main collecting focus. But let's get real here. The Saturn blows the 3DO out of the water. It rivals the PSX, not the 3DO/Jaguar/Sega CD/Amiga CD-32.

Now if you want to compare the 3DO to the Sega CD we'll talk :P

#92 imstarryeyed OFFLINE  

imstarryeyed

Moonsweeper

• 306 posts

Posted Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:57 PM

I am a super avid collector and lover of Saturn, I also own a 3DO as well, but my opinion is Saturn is not a contender to 3DO and would be difficult to compare.

#93 Black_Tiger OFFLINE  

Black_Tiger

Moonsweeper

• 327 posts

Posted Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:10 PM

I am a super avid collector and lover of Saturn, I also own a 3DO as well, but my opinion is Saturn is not a contender to 3DO and would be difficult to compare.

Game players disagree.

#94 derFunkenstein OFFLINE  

derFunkenstein

Chopper Commander

• 176 posts

Posted Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:51 PM

The Neo Geo was a big red monolith in every arcade, pizza joint, movie theater, etc..  Across the country.  More folks had more encounters with the Neo Geo throughout their daily life than any had with the 3DO.  Try again.

93% of the people who took your own poll think the Saturn had the better library.  Also, what the hell is "yspped" and "butbutpite"?  :?

Anecdotally speaking, I played Samurai Shodown, Fatal Fury Special, and KoF 94 at my local Godfather's Pizza every time I went. I'm yet to ever lay eyes on anything but a picture of a 3DO.

The 3DO looked cool in EGM and all, but I don't know anybody personally who had one. Babbage's had a "wall" for it (where the walls were plentiful and the width of the wall was narrow) but I never saw one in person. 

Edited by derFunkenstein, Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:08 PM.

#95 imstarryeyed OFFLINE  

imstarryeyed

Moonsweeper

• 306 posts

Posted Wed Nov 1, 2017 9:42 PM

I read Black Tigers response to my response, and I had to laugh... I honestly did not read it the way you all did...  I wrote..

"I also own a 3DO as well, but my opinion is Saturn is not a contender to 3DO and would be difficult to compare."

in my head I was trying to say...... 

"I also own a 3D0 as well, but in my opinion is Saturn is not a contender to the 3D0, as the Saturn is in a class of gaming by itself, and would be difficult to compare."

Amazing on what I typed and meant.. were so far away from each other.

Black Tiger your eyes are must be younger than my 45 year old ones... haha.. thanks for the point out!

#96 tbb033 OFFLINE  

tbb033

Star Raider

• 90 posts

Posted Fri Dec 1, 2017 2:55 PM

I'd be hard pressed to find a half dozen or so titles I care about on 3DO ( just personal preferences) but I have probably 3 times that on Saturn as is. This is like asking SNES or CDI. 

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users