Photo

Intellivision newby; some questions ...

15 replies to this topic

#1 Yosikuma OFFLINE  

Yosikuma

Star Raider

• 60 posts

Posted Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:37 PM

So I just picked up an Intellivision Model I and some games (the super common ones -- Astrosmash, etc.). 

I noticed that my player one controller's disc has a tendency to "stick" in a certain direction.  What can I do to alleviate this?

Also, what games would you suggest to someone new to the platform?

Thanks!

#2 HunterZero OFFLINE  

HunterZero

Dragonstomper

• 648 posts

Posted Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:14 PM

Does spinning the disc change the location where the disc gets stuck?

Best idea is probably to take the controller apart, check for broken pieces or spilled sticky drink, and give the plastic parts a good clean. Check the mylar insert with conductive printing for damage/wear. If you clean the mylar contacts, give them a gentle clean with a damp cloth or small amount of isopropyl alcohol (be very careful as you could damage the printed material on the mylar).

Ensure that the disc spring and the white plastic washer are intact and correctly assembled. If the disc movement isn't smooth, use a non-conductive dry lube like white graphitic BN where the disc pivots in the back housing.

#3 HunterZero OFFLINE  

HunterZero

Dragonstomper

• 648 posts

Posted Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:16 PM

https://console5.com...rvice_Flyer.pdf

#4 spacecadet OFFLINE  

spacecadet

River Patroller

• 2,357 posts

Posted Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:27 PM

It depends on which super-common games you already have. The Intellivision is a little different than most systems in that probably 90% of the games from its heyday are "very common" and probably 90% of its best games are among that group. I don't think of it as a system with a lot of hidden gems; its best games were generally its most popular. Some exceptions might be in the later INTV corp releases; mostly they just re-released older games but they did also put out some new ones and they were much more limited. I don't have a lot of those, although I do have a few of their arcade ports and sports games and they're generally good.

That said, obviously some games hold up today better than others. So here are some games that I think are still fun or unique, or are just best on Intellivision vs. other systems:

Atlantis

B-17 Bomber

Bump n Jump

Microsurgeon

Burger Time

Demon Attack

Frog Bog

Sea Battle

Space Battle

Tron: Solar Sailer

Tron: Deadly Discs

Utopia

You'll need an Intellivoice for Tron: Solar Sailer and B-17 Bomber, but those are literally like $5. 

Obviously that's not an exhaustive list, just games that I've played recently that I think are still fun. And they're all common so you shouldn't have trouble finding them.

#5 HunterZero OFFLINE  

HunterZero

Dragonstomper

• 648 posts

Posted Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:09 PM

Thunder Castle and the AD&D games are worth tracking down, although Thunder Castle and Tower of Doom can be on the pricey side.

Thunder Castle

Lock 'n' Chase

Beauty and the Beast

Locomotion

Happy Trails

If you can track down the homebrew games Christmas Carol, Donkey Kong/D2K and Ms Pacman, they are amazing.

Here's the top games list as voted by AtariAge users:

http://atariage.com/...ou/?hl= top 20

- J

#6 mr_me OFFLINE  

mr_me

River Patroller

• 2,136 posts

Posted Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:32 PM

Sea Battle is a great game but is for two players only. Same thing with Biplanes on the Triple Action cart. I can recommend Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, Space Battle, Auto Racing, Tron Deadly Discs, Dreadnaught Factor, Thunder Castle. A flash memory cart might not be a bad investment.

And that white plastic washer in the Intellivision controller is very important.

#7 JasonlikesINTV OFFLINE  

JasonlikesINTV

Quadrunner

• 8,431 posts

Posted Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:45 PM

So I just picked up an Intellivision Model I and some games (the super common ones -- Astrosmash, etc.). 

I noticed that my player one controller's disc has a tendency to "stick" in a certain direction.  What can I do to alleviate this?

Thanks!

Not saying that you don't have a controller issue, but it could be a technique thing. The disc works by rolling clockwise and counter clockwise. I notice "sticking" more in maze games where I try to change direction abruptly from up to down or right to left. Try rolling around the clock with the disc. If it's just blatantly sticking or worse, it could be the controller. If you own Golf or MLB, you can test the disc motion as both of those games utilize all 16 directions (aiming in golf and fielding the ball in MLB). MLB is also good for testing side buttons and the keypad. As a last resort, try taking apart the controller, but it can be tricky getting it back together properly if you're doing it for the first time, so be careful. There are a few decent videos on YouTube.

#8 Yosikuma OFFLINE  

Yosikuma

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 60 posts

Posted Thu Nov 2, 2017 8:18 PM

Well I popped open the controller and found this. The Mylar under the disc has burned or rusted and caused this lovely ring. I have tried a bit of cleaning to no avail. It's pretty on there.

Suggestions?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6591.JPG

#9 intvsteve OFFLINE  

intvsteve

River Patroller

• 2,771 posts

Posted Thu Nov 2, 2017 9:33 PM

Ugh... That looks totally worn thorugh! Not sure if that can be repaired easily. I've tried conductive paint in the past, others use pens. For example this kind of stuff. Can't say what the rate of success is, though.

Getting good controller guts for a decent prices is a crap shoot.

If you're not set on keeping the system cosmetically pure, you could use a controller from the Intellivision Flashback along with an adapter cable. Not certain on stock there, and if the store there is operating effeciently. If you're handy, you can do the adapter cable yourself, too. Nurmix here on the forums has a youtube video showing the process, IIRC.

#10 Yosikuma OFFLINE  

Yosikuma

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 60 posts

Posted Fri Nov 3, 2017 6:21 AM

If you're handy, you can do the adapter cable yourself, too.

Hehehe.

BAAAAHAAAHAAHAAAA!

Yeah, not so much. I can operate a screw driver and I've replaced a socketed chip once. Handy is not an adjective you can apply to me.

#11 IMBerzerk OFFLINE  

IMBerzerk

Chopper Commander

• 101 posts

Posted Fri Nov 3, 2017 7:53 AM

Search eBay for parts only units. Eventually you'll find one that you can buy for a good price. Anyone that collects old consoles knows that you need a few extra scrap units just to keep the main one working.

#12 mr_me OFFLINE  

mr_me

River Patroller

• 2,136 posts

Posted Fri Nov 3, 2017 8:11 AM

Hehehe.

BAAAAHAAAHAAHAAAA!

Yeah, not so much. I can operate a screw driver and I've replaced a socketed chip once. Handy is not an adjective you can apply to me.

Like Intvsteve said, Intellivision Productions sells the adapter cable as well, or you can contact atariage user Nurmix directly.

If the plastic circuit has a hole worn through, you'd have to patch the hole first before you can repair it with conductive ink.  Not sure how well that might turn out but there is no harm in trying. 

I wonder what game they were playing to make that hole.

Edited by mr_me, Fri Nov 3, 2017 8:12 AM.

#13 SiberianSpForces OFFLINE  

SiberianSpForces

Chopper Commander

• 142 posts

Posted Fri Nov 3, 2017 2:55 PM

Luck has it that I have a parts intelli that's taking up space. I'll be home later tonight, so I can check/test the controllers.

#14 Yosikuma OFFLINE  

Yosikuma

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 60 posts

Posted Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:08 AM

That would be fantastic!

#15 SiberianSpForces OFFLINE  

SiberianSpForces

Chopper Commander

• 142 posts

Posted Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:23 AM

With just swapping them, they don't work properly. I'll give them a good cleaning/look over and try again.

#16 Yosikuma OFFLINE  

Yosikuma

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 60 posts

Posted Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:20 PM

I appreciate it!!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users