IGNORED

TI 99/4A replacement capacitors?

x24b

The black and silver 99/4A in the eBay ad was purchased for a premium because they said it worked.

It does! Hooray!

However, when it arrived, it turns out to be a beige v2.2 unit and it has all kinds of cosmetic and electronic issues. Not the least of which is a video output that looks like a bad episode of the Twilight Zone.

I can wield a soldering iron to some extent, and I know I need to at least clean up all of the contacts. But I am sure it goes deeper.

This machine is old, yellow/brown, and it needs a RetrObrite treatment on the case, some TLC to repair the on/off switch (blue on the left side, no blue stripe) and it needs an addition of an F18A VGA video mod. I bought two a while ago. I'll save one for a real black and silver case, but I love orphans so the v2.2 will be saved for a future of limited use and public derision (as I coddle it and keep it safe).

Is there a full-list of replacement capacitors for the Mobo?

I'll be replacing ALL of them. That seems to be a weak point on all old electronic equipment.

I suppose I should only ask for the proper type of replacement Capacitor and read the caps myself (hopefully, once I crack it open).

Also, if you have any tips and gotcha's in this process, please shout it out. I'm goin' in!

If someone has made a list, I could just purchase those on it and get moving quickly with an order from DigiKey or Amazon.

Hunt the Wumpus in all it's glory. I love it.

• Like 1

However, when it arrived, it turns out to be a beige v2.2 unit and it has all kinds of cosmetic and electronic issues. Not the least of which is a video output that looks like a bad episode of the Twilight Zone.

I was just lamenting how difficult it has been for me to find one of these v2.2 consoles, and you score one by accident.

• Like 3

Also, if you have any tips and gotcha's in this process, please shout it out. I'm goin' in!

If someone has made a list, I could just purchase those on it and get moving quickly with an order from DigiKey or Amazon.

Hunt the Wumpus in all it's glory. I love it.

I've done a list several times to plus up my parts bins looking for quantity sales of the weird stuff - ferrites, inductors, caps (though tech is a lot better now to prevent drying/leaking of the latter). I may be off my meds here, but I've never had problems de-soldering of the original boards. However, when they changed to the cost-reduced ones it seems like they welded rather than soldered (and of course socketed less). The assembly process was definitely changed when they changed MBs.

• Like 1

<snip> However, when they changed to the cost-reduced ones it seems like they welded rather than soldered (and of course socketed less). The assembly process was definitely changed when they changed MBs.

That's good to know, and to watch out for. If the process is changed for the cost reduced ones, I'll at least have this "heads up" notice. Thanks!

I was just lamenting how difficult it has been for me to find one of these v2.2 consoles, and you score one by accident.

I'm sorry for your misfortune with your hunt. Are you collecting every type made?

I'm not much of a collector (no space or cash), but I do appreciate those that do!

It's fun, educational and deeply interesting for those of us interested in history, trivia or restoration. Good examples are hard to come by.

I wish you well in your quest!

I'm sorry for your misfortune with your hunt. Are you collecting every type made?

I'm not much of a collector (no space or cash), but I do appreciate those that do!

It's fun, educational and deeply interesting for those of us interested in history, trivia or restoration. Good examples are hard to come by.

I wish you well in your quest!

Not trying to be like Ksarul, just for some reason I have been compelled to grab a v2.2 console. Likely it will just wind up as a display piece for fests. Last year I had a gutted silver and black console, and next year I plan to have that and a QI console on wood.

• Like 2

Not trying to be like Ksarul, just for some reason I have been compelled to grab a v2.2 console. Likely it will just wind up as a display piece for fests. Last year I had a gutted silver and black console, and next year I plan to have that and a QI console on wood.

And it looked great too... we got so many comments about it at the booth!

You should complain to ebay / Paypal about the bait and switch. Be very thorough in your description, include pictures of what you got vs. what was advertised. State that you do not want to pay to return ship it due to expense and flagrant misrepresentation. You should win.

OLD CS1 - I have a console somewhere... PM'ed you. :)

Edited by unhuman

And it looked great too... we got so many comments about it at the booth!

Speaking of, I finished mounting a real QI board.

TI-99/4A internals displays

I could send you the BOM I had when I recapped my TI. I dont know if the list is compatible tho

Can you post that, as well, please?

• Like 3

Speaking of, I finished mounting a real QI board.

Can you post that, as well, please?

That is a lovely display. Thanks for sharing. I have something to shoot for now. Thank you all for helping me with your suggestions and warnings!