Photo

Emulation on 4K TV's

12 replies to this topic

#1 atarifan88 OFFLINE  

atarifan88

Dragonstomper

• 578 posts

Posted Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:13 PM

Hey everyone.  Currently I am running Atari & Intellivision emulation on a regular HD TV with 1080i resolution.  I have no special "game modes" on the TV and notice no latency while running these emulators.  My TV is starting to act up which means I will be shopping for a new one.  I have been looking at the 4K TV's but was wondering if anyone on here has one and have tried out Stella & JZINTV using these newer model TV's?  If so, did you notice any latency and was there a "game mode" on them that fixed it?  I'm wanting to weigh the new technology before I go and buy one.  Thanks in advance for the help!

#2 stephena OFFLINE  

stephena

River Patroller

• 3,010 posts
  • Stella maintainer

Posted Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:52 PM

No advice on the TV, since I'm not yet in the market for a 4K TV.  My only concern is how Stella will scale to 4K.  Or more to the point, if performance will suffer.  It really shouldn't, but I've never tested on such a high resolution before.  It's also possible the in-game fonts will be quite a bit smaller.

At some point I will move to a 4K computer monitor and be able to better test this.  But I'm holding out for a cheap (relatively speaking) 30" 4K IPS monitor.

#3 spacecadet OFFLINE  

spacecadet

River Patroller

• 2,344 posts

Posted Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:23 PM

You can find latency tests for most major modern TV's on rtings.com. It's a great site; they go really in depth and are unbiased. It's how I found my Sony X900E.

The X900E does have pretty high latency in its regular picture modes, which I do notice (I haven't played those emulators specifically, but it shouldn't matter - latency isn't going to change). Interestingly and probably related, when I output sound to both the TV and my receiver, the sound is out of sync by almost exactly 100ms. Luckily my receiver will compensate up to that amount.

It does have a game mode, though, that brings the latency down to around 30ms, which is not noticeable (at least to me).

Most 4K TV's will do a bit better than that in both regular and game mode, and most do have a game mode. But it's part of the standard tests on rtings.com to tell you that.

I definitely wouldn't buy a TV solely for having low latency, though (and obviously I didn't). Unless it's significantly over 30ms even in game mode, I would worry a lot more about picture quality and other things.

Edited by spacecadet, Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:25 PM.

#4 israelg OFFLINE  

israelg

Moonsweeper

• 330 posts

Posted Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:24 PM

it will be interesting to see CRT emulation on 4K TV, 

Since they have 4X pixels and the potential for a closer CRT reproduction...

Please post pictures...

#5 stephena OFFLINE  

stephena

River Patroller

• 3,010 posts
  • Stella maintainer

Posted Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:32 PM

Please post pictures...

In the case of Stella at least, it won't make any difference in the current code.  Everything is just scaled larger, so the CRT effects aren't taking effect of a larger resolution.  At some point we may add more accurate TV effects that require a high-res monitor/TV, but that isn't going to happen at least until I have the hardware myself (and even then, only if we can find time to do it).

#6 Flojomojo ONLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• 10,302 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:42 PM

I AM PUTTING ON MY CAPS LOCK KEY JUST TO SHOUT ABOUT HOW AMAZING MODERN RESOLUTIONS ARE

THIS IS SD VS HD VS 4K

4k_comparison.jpg

AND THIS IS A 2007 IPHONE SCREEN SUPERIMPOSED ONTO THE HIGH DEFINITION SCREEN OF THE 2017 IPHONE X

300762-640.jpg

CAN I GET A "HOLY SH!T" HERE?

#7 zzip OFFLINE  

zzip

Stargunner

• 1,518 posts

Posted Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:52 PM

Please post pictures...

A lot depends on the quality of CRT emulation in the emulators themselves. Some just suck at it. The better ones give good results on a 1080p TV.

One thing to remember- if you are making the emulator do the 4K output and apply the effects, it's going to run slower. Sometimes you might be better off having it run at a lower res and letting the TV do the upscaling.

The atari800 emulator can do a nice CRT emulation at 800x600. Looks fine upscaled on my monitor.

#8 mr_me OFFLINE  

mr_me

River Patroller

• 2,117 posts

Posted Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:37 PM

With your current TV you should be ouputting 1080p or 720p/768p. Interlaced 1080i will give you 30Hz video rather than 60Hz video.

#9 atarifan88 OFFLINE  

atarifan88

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 578 posts

Posted Tue Nov 7, 2017 2:59 PM

Picked up a 4K TV and tried out my raspberry pi powered Intellivision Flashback on it.  No noticeable lag during game play and the graphics are super crisp!  Looking forward to picking up one of those Atari Flashbacks with HDMI soon!

#10 zzip OFFLINE  

zzip

Stargunner

• 1,518 posts

Posted Tue Nov 7, 2017 3:28 PM

Picked up a 4K TV and tried out my raspberry pi powered Intellivision Flashback on it.  No noticeable lag during game play and the graphics are super crisp!  Looking forward to picking up one of those Atari Flashbacks with HDMI soon!

Is the Pi doing the upscaling or is the TV? I'd expect the Pi to struggle more if it has to upscale. But the only reasons to have the Pi do it is maybe you want to play with CRT emulation or other filters at higher res, or your TV does a lousy job.

#11 atarifan88 OFFLINE  

atarifan88

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 578 posts

Posted Tue Nov 7, 2017 3:31 PM

Is the Pi doing the upscaling or is the TV? I'd expect the Pi to struggle more if it has to upscale. But the only reasons to have the Pi do it is maybe you want to play with CRT emulation or other filters at higher res, or your TV does a lousy job.

I'm not sure.  I had this built for me so I'm not really tech savy.  All I know is it's better than the real thing because of the picture quality! :)

#12 stephena OFFLINE  

stephena

River Patroller

• 3,010 posts
  • Stella maintainer

Posted Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:37 AM

Just an FYI, but I'm the process of getting a 4K monitor for my main development machine.  So at least I will be able to see how Stella works in such an environment.

EDIT: One of the things that I'm buying to help with Stella development, as promised in my retro-computer sale in another thread (and generous donations from users).  Never let it be said that I don't invest in Stella development :)

#13 keepdreamin ONLINE  

keepdreamin

Dragonstomper

• 911 posts

Posted Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:55 PM

I just grabbed a new 4K HDR set that has only around 14ms of input lag in game mode.  Considering most high end PC gaming monitors are around 9ms, this is pretty damn impressive for a 55" set that isn't specifically billed for gaming, just a run-of-the-mill no frills smart TV.  I wouldn't be able to tell much of a difference (if any at all really) between a 30ms delayed set vs 14ms.  That change certainly wouldn't affect my gaming.  But more importantly for this new TV was the price point, and it's fully OSSC compliant (which should be a TV testing standard for all manufacturers  :lol: )

http://atariage.com/...-on-4k-for-800/

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users