IGNORED

So how powerful is the Jaguar exactly?

JaguarVision

Need for speed rat is a good point, 3do is supposedly the best version, and I doubt the jag could do it even in nekid polies as the count is pretty high for a game of the era.

Well, you could compare something on all systems. SNES through fx, Sega through 32 x, 3do through ???, and jaguar through itself (least I don't think it has additional hardware) Doom, behuch, nuff said. (Drops mic)

Edited by Video
  • Like 1

The Jaguar is anywhere up to 10.8Watts of power according to this.

s-l1000.jpg

P=IE

P=1.2A * 9V

P=10.8W

And here is the power adapter for the PSOne

For-PS1-AC-Adapter-font-b-Power-b-font-S

7.5V * 2.2A = 16.5W

Jag = 10.8W

PSOne = 16.5W

These numbers aren't perfect as the systems will not necessarily draw the max current from their wall adapters but to provide a rough estimate, as I have neither system to test.

PSOne requires more power so therefore must be more powerful than the Jag.

So therefore the Jag is only about 65.5% as powerful as the PSOne. I did the math!

• Like 8

I've 'done the math' many times. I still don't get how the Jaguar is a 64-bit system :P

Well lets see...

Ignore the 68000, since it was only put in there for people who didn't want to learn to program something new. That leaves us with 4 processors. 16+16+16+16=64! There, that solves it, right. ;)

(Sad fact: I used to think this was how Atari arrived at the 16-bit figure. Except I did the math wrong; I had 16+16+16+16+16=64. :( )

Ok we just did some testing and I think I can safely answer the OPs question.

We clocked the Jaguar at some amazing speeds but to sum it up the way the question was asked "where does the Jaguar stand?"

Its much faster than a bread toaster but not quite as powerful as a griddle however if you use the right power supply it is capable of frying an egg, although you can only do this once.

• Like 4

Ok we just did some testing and I think I can safely answer the OPs question.

We clocked the Jaguar at some amazing speeds but to sum it up the way the question was asked "where does the Jaguar stand?"

Its much faster than a bread toaster but not quite as powerful as a griddle however if you use the right power supply it is capable of frying an egg, although you can only do this once.

No,No it's powerful enough to run the flux compensator!

Edited by walter_J64bit
  • Like 1

"A short and stocky limb structure makes the jaguar adept at climbing, crawling, and swimming. The head is robust and the jaw extremely powerful, it has the third highest bite force of all felids, after the tiger and lion. A 100 kg (220 lb) jaguar can bite with a force of 503.6 kgf (1110 lbf) at canine teeth and 705.8 kgf (1556 lbf) at carnassial notch. This strength adaptation allows the jaguar to pierce turtle shells. A comparative study of bite force adjusted for body size ranked it as the top felid, alongside the clouded leopard and ahead of the tiger and lion. It has been reported that "an individual jaguar can drag an 800 lb (360 kg) bull 25 ft (7.6 m) in its jaws and pulverize the heaviest bones". The jaguar hunts wild animals weighing up to 300 kg (660 lb) in dense jungle, and its short and sturdy physique is thus an adaptation to its prey and environment."

• Like 4

Hey, the teacher was cools!

Informant!!!

:P

It's not fumes, it's trolling. This dude also made a 3DO vs Saturn poll. Give me a break. That is not even a contest. It's like making a Pippin vs N64 poll.

If nothing else, that would at least give us an excuse to talk about the oft-forgotten Pippin for a couple of pages. Interesting system! In fact, I bet in that some ways, its library is better than the Saturn's. For that matter, why is the importance of the Pippin almost never brought up historically?

:-D

From wikipedia:

The jaguar, a compact and well-muscled animal, is the largest cat in the New World and the largest carnivorous mammal in Central and South America.[28] Size and weight vary considerably: weights are normally in the range of 56–96 kg (124–211 lb). Larger males have been recorded to weigh as much as 158 kg (348 lb)[22][29] (roughly matching a tigress or lioness; however note this animal was weighed with a full stomach).[30] The smallest females have low weights of 36 kg (79 lb).[22] Females are typically 10–20 percent smaller than males. The length, from the nose to the base of the tail, of the cats varies from 1.12 to 1.85 m (3.7 to 6.1 ft). Their tails are the shortest of any big cat, at 45 to 75 cm (18 to 30 in) in length.[22][31] Their legs are also short, considerably shorter when compared to a small tiger or lion in a similar weight range, but are thick and powerful. The jaguar stands 63 to 76 cm (25 to 30 in) tall at the shoulders.[32] Compared to the similarly colored Old World leopard, the jaguar is bigger, heavier and relatively stocky in build.[21]

• Like 1

From wikipedia:

The jaguar, a compact and well-muscled animal, is the largest cat in the New World and the largest carnivorous mammal in Central and South America.[28] Size and weight vary considerably: weights are normally in the range of 56–96 kg (124–211 lb). Larger males have been recorded to weigh as much as 158 kg (348 lb)[22][29] (roughly matching a tigress or lioness; however note this animal was weighed with a full stomach).[30] The smallest females have low weights of 36 kg (79 lb).[22] Females are typically 10–20 percent smaller than males. The length, from the nose to the base of the tail, of the cats varies from 1.12 to 1.85 m (3.7 to 6.1 ft). Their tails are the shortest of any big cat, at 45 to 75 cm (18 to 30 in) in length.[22][31] Their legs are also short, considerably shorter when compared to a small tiger or lion in a similar weight range, but are thick and powerful. The jaguar stands 63 to 76 cm (25 to 30 in) tall at the shoulders.[32] Compared to the similarly colored Old World leopard, the jaguar is bigger, heavier and relatively stocky in build.[21]

Serious question... at what point do we no longer consider the Americas to be "the New World?"

...when we start building a base on the moon? ...when we start colonizing Mars?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...