Photo

Now that the "Wii Brand" Is finally retired, what's the final verdict?

34 replies to this topic

#26 zzip OFFLINE  

zzip

Stargunner

• 1,563 posts

Posted Thu Nov 2, 2017 7:33 AM

Generally the average consumer found Wii U more confusing than Xbox One. But Microsoft basically followed off of "360" so they had a safety net. If Xbox One came after the actual Xbox 1 well...uh...

Only thing that naming it Xbox One caused was making it hard to find original Xbox stuff for a year and a half.

Wii u however had more than the name against it. I mean the marketing was a complete failure for way to long.

I think the first major event didn't even show the tablet it just showed a Wii U on the side at a weird angle and comments thinking the consoles was actually just an original Wii starting the add-on rumors.

I think it was more that the large Wii casual audience had abandoned the Wii by the time the Wii U released. Maybe they were more enamored with mobile games by then or whatever, and the Wii U had nothing with the wow factor of Wii Bowling to bring them back on board.

MS has been known to artificially bump up version numbers to make a technology appear more mature than it is. That's why they didn't want an Xbox 2 competing against a PS3, so they named it Xbox 360. So it's baffling that they'd name their 3rd version "one"

#27 JaguarVision OFFLINE  

JaguarVision

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 168 posts

Posted Thu Nov 2, 2017 4:39 PM

Well the reason is all-in-one-entertainment-system.

As odd as that may seem, it didn't get the masses as confused. Helps the Kinect took a 4th of the Wiis market on the 360.

#28 Jin ONLINE  

Jin

Solar Striker

• 1,797 posts

Posted Thu Nov 2, 2017 5:55 PM

I never owned a Wii U, but the Wii is my all time favorite home console. Between the Wii's killer library of on-rails shooters, action-adventure, and survival horror games, it's backwards compatibility with GameCube games, and the option to add the Homebrew Channel to emulate everything from Atari 2600 to Sega Genesis there isn't much that I like gaming wise that I can't play on the Wii. It's pretty much the "all in one" console for me, and I think that motion control with the Wii remote is the most precise and elegant way ever devised to control any first-person game that involves shooting things. :) 

#29 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

Nodus Tollens

• 16,910 posts

Posted Wed Nov 8, 2017 12:31 AM

I never owned a Wii U, but the Wii is my all time favorite home console. Between the Wii's killer library of on-rails shooters, action-adventure, and survival horror games, it's backwards compatibility with GameCube games, and the option to add the Homebrew Channel to emulate everything from Atari 2600 to Sega Genesis there isn't much that I like gaming wise that I can't play on the Wii. It's pretty much the "all in one" console for me, and I think that motion control with the Wii remote is the most precise and elegant way ever devised to control any first-person game that involves shooting things. :)

Yep, The Wii took what the Dreamcast started as far as the all in one emulation and ran with it to heights I love to this day :)

#30 LidLikesIntellivision OFFLINE  

LidLikesIntellivision

River Patroller

• 3,493 posts
  • HSC Player

Posted Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:39 PM

yep. I also loved the wii remote for first person shooting games. For me, you only can play with keyboard and mouse or with the wiimote. Dpads with little sticks aren't good for shooters in my opinion.

I really don't understand how people could prefer the standard modern console controler for fps...

• Jin likes this

#31 Jin ONLINE  

Jin

Solar Striker

• 1,797 posts

Posted Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:43 PM

yep. I also loved the wii remote for first person shooting games. For me, you only can play with keyboard and mouse or with the wiimote. Dpads with little sticks aren't good for shooters in my opinion.

I really don't understand how people could prefer the standard modern console controler for fps...

I'm not really picky when it comes to first-person shooter games, I'll play them with a D-pad, dual analog sticks, keyboard and mouse, or pretty much any other control system developers can devise; though the Wii remote is definitely my favorite aiming method. Playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare on the Xbox 360 with it's twin stick controls just feels awkward and clunky once I got used to playing Modern Warfare: Reflex Edition on the Wii. Same goes for the Metroid Prime games on the GameCube versus the ones on the Wii. There is definitely a learning curve to using the Wii remote to aim and it took me a few hours of practice to really get comfortable with it, but once I did it quickly became my favorite control method for first-person shooters. Third person shooters can benefit a lot from Wii remote aiming too actually. Resident Evil 4 on the Wii is almost too easy when you have the Wii remote to aim with. Poppin' heads all day long! :D

#32 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• 10,374 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:54 AM

My Wii was mostly for Virtual Console.

#33 omegadot OFFLINE  

omegadot

Dragonstomper

• 929 posts

Posted Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:56 PM

I'm suddenly curious of your must buy list.

#34 Jin ONLINE  

Jin

Solar Striker

• 1,797 posts

Posted Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:48 PM

I'm suddenly curious of your must buy list.

Ask and you shall receive! It's a long list so check the spoiler tag below for my personal list of recommended Wii games sorted by genre, with their current average complete in box prices included. Bear in mind that there are a few sports and rhythm games on the list that I personally enjoy but your results may vary depending on whether or not you're into those genres of games.  :) 

Spoiler

Edited by Jin, Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:27 PM.

#35 homerj OFFLINE  

homerj

Star Raider

• 58 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:54 AM

The Wii is my favorite console of that generation. I still have my original Wii that I bought on launch day & still play it pretty regularly. I imagine that most "gamers" that dismissed the Wii as a system for kids & grandparents didn't give it a fair shake. I have 70+ games, most of which are exclusives, and 99% are at least decent.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users