IGNORED

Low cost options for recording 2600 gameplay

bigfriendly

Hello everyone:)

I spent some time digging around in the forums looking for info on this subject. I found some threads that included using VCRS, rewritable DVDS and something called a USB DV Capture Dongle. I checked on Amazon and the Dongle box is really expensive! What I would like to do is hook up a real 2600 to a modern HDTV and link up my laptop somehow to the HDTV to record. The video doesn't have to be in HD or anything. Is their a low-cost option to do this?

Thanks

A VCR and something like this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/905778-REG/startech_svid2usb23_s_video_composite_to.html

But - and I say this as someone who actually does real capture - do you really need to capture the real hardware vs. just recording an emulator? Most YouTube videos and such are using emulators, which is obvious from the clean look. It's a lot easier, and it's free. It depends on what you're really trying to show, though.

An old friend and I are going to play some M-network Super Challenge Football in the near future. I would like to record our contest against each other. I have never considered using Stella for this purpose. To play this game with any precession you have to use real 2600 joysticks. Gamepads just won't cut it.

Edited by bigfriendly

Well if you don't mind using Stella instead of a real Atari liteCam is not that expensive.

Some modern TVs will actually record to a USB memory stick or external HD, if your TV has that capability and records in MP4 on an NTFS formatted stick you should be ok, however I suspect they will use a non standard video or file format it prevent public distribution of any recordings.

Hello everyone:)

I spent some time digging around in the forums looking for info on this subject. I found some threads that included using VCRS, rewritable DVDS and something called a USB DV Capture Dongle. I checked on Amazon and the Dongle box is really expensive! What I would like to do is hook up a real 2600 to a modern HDTV and link up my laptop somehow to the HDTV to record. The video doesn't have to be in HD or anything. Is their a low-cost option to do this?

Thanks

USB capture 'dongles' can be gotten cheap, I got one for well under $25, quality is fine.

An old friend and I are going to play some M-network Super Challenge Football in the near future. I would like to record our contest against each other. I have never considered using Stella for this purpose. To play this game with any precession you have to use real 2600 joysticks. Gamepads just won't cut it.

I don't think Stella has a recording function, but I am not very familiar with that emulator.

But I think the best way to accomplish your goal would be to use Stella on a computer, and then for the joysticks you can get a couple of the 2600-daptor II adapters and you can use real Atari joysticks.

Then you can use a free screen recording software for the computer. There are tons out there and I've seen threads in some other sub-forums here on AA that talk about screen recording software.

I don't think Stella has a recording function, but I am not very familiar with that emulator.

But I think the best way to accomplish your goal would be to use Stella on a computer, and then for the joysticks you can get a couple of the 2600-daptor II adapters and you can use real Atari joysticks.

Then you can use a free screen recording software for the computer. There are tons out there and I've seen threads in some other sub-forums here on AA that talk about screen recording software.

Windows 10 recording function works with Stella. Thanks everybody for all the ideas and input.

• Like 1