Photo

Does anyone use Pascal anymore?

12 replies to this topic

#1 jhd OFFLINE  

jhd

Stargunner

• 1,578 posts

Posted Wed Nov 1, 2017 10:48 AM

I am no programmer, but I have dabbled a little bit.

Back when I was in University, Pascal was the language of choice. Turbo Pascal was the dominant platform on PCs. 

Has Pascal now been completely supplanted by C/C++ (or Java, depending on the context/application)?

#2 danwinslow OFFLINE  

danwinslow

River Patroller

• 2,531 posts

Posted Wed Nov 1, 2017 10:51 AM

If you mean in the modern development industry, then no, nobody really uses it for new development. There are nooks and crannies doing legacy maintenance that might have some pascal, but it would less than 1% of the market, probably much less.

• jhd likes this

#3 zzip OFFLINE  

zzip

Stargunner

• 1,563 posts

Posted Wed Nov 1, 2017 10:54 AM

Did anyone ever use Pascal? Lol, when I learned it in school, it was always presented as a 'teaching language' and not really used in the real world.

Ironically my first job out of college involved maintaining the code for a system written in Pascal :)

#4 AMenard OFFLINE  

AMenard

Star Raider

• 66 posts

Posted Wed Nov 1, 2017 11:20 AM

Pascal, or to be more precise, Turbo Pascal was used in commercial product dev. especially communication software for some reason. But mostly it was used in education because it's a strongly typed and structured language. It was the one of the languages that I learned in college, that and Cobol (yeah, I'm old...). When I got to university it was replaced by Ada.

#5 zzip OFFLINE  

zzip

Stargunner

• 1,563 posts

Posted Wed Nov 1, 2017 12:08 PM

Pascal, or to be more precise, Turbo Pascal was used in commercial product dev. especially communication software for some reason. But mostly it was used in education because it's a strongly typed and structured language. It was the one of the languages that I learned in college, that and Cobol (yeah, I'm old...). When I got to university it was replaced by Ada.

I had to learn Cobol as well, at the time it was already considered an archaic language, but the justification was "hey, it's still widely used in business systems". Never once worked on Cobol in the real world. But they also told me I'd never encounter Pascal and I did so...

#6 AMenard OFFLINE  

AMenard

Star Raider

• 66 posts

Posted Wed Nov 1, 2017 12:15 PM

I had to learn Cobol as well, at the time it was already considered an archaic language, but the justification was "hey, it's still widely used in business systems". Never once worked on Cobol in the real world. But they also told me I'd never encounter Pascal and I did so...

Same here... I've been traumatized for life the first time I saw I had 35890 errors in my listing because I forgot a "." at the end of a line  :D

But my first job was in Delphi (Object Pascal). I then moved to .Net (vb & c#) and plain old C.

Edited by AMenard, Wed Nov 1, 2017 12:15 PM.

#7 awhite2600 OFFLINE  

awhite2600

Moonsweeper

• 288 posts

Posted Thu Nov 2, 2017 11:08 AM

I was never a fan of Pascal.  I had a buddy in the late '80s that loved Pascal.  He convinced me to get a Modula-2 compiler for the Amiga as it was similar to Pascal and affordable.  I could never get my head around the language enough to write anything beyond a very simple program.

I do know that the original Great Plains Accounting product was written in Pascal.  Both the popular DOS version and the almost unknown Windows version.  This is not the same as the current Dynamics GP product - which is written in C++.

As for older languages.  I learned COBOL, Fortran and RPG in school.  In about 1988 I wrote a couple of very minor COBOL programs that became part of a large system used by an investment bank.  

#8 danwinslow OFFLINE  

danwinslow

River Patroller

• 2,531 posts

Posted Thu Nov 2, 2017 11:51 AM

I really liked Ada, I was in the DoD world when it got started. In fact, I participated in the Ironman tests on the Honeywell/Bull team. Most people wound up not liking it, mostly because the compilers just could not handle it very well, it was WAY ahead of it's time.

Turbo pascal eventually turned into Delphi I think, but that's not used much anymore.

#9 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

Thrust, Jammed, SWOOPS!, Boulder Dash, THREE·S, Star Castle

• 22,790 posts
  • Always left from right here!

Posted Thu Nov 2, 2017 1:04 PM

I used to use Turbo Pascal quite extensively for private project. And sometimes I am using it still today (Free Pascal that is).

#10 carlsson OFFLINE  

carlsson

Quadrunner

• 5,063 posts

Posted Thu Nov 2, 2017 5:02 PM

I would think that back in the early days with UCSD Pascal and the P-systems, those were used commercially to some degree, or perhaps there were other compilers emitting P-code besides Pascal? Of course from the early 1990's and onwards, the situation may have changed though Delphi appears to have had enough users to be released in new versions over the years. A programming language without the commercial demand probably would just disappear from the market or turn into open source for the remaining hobbyists.

Edit: Bah, I always mix up the order of the letters: UCSD or USCD and most of the time I get them in the wrong order.

Edited by carlsson, Thu Nov 2, 2017 5:03 PM.

#11 MortoffGames OFFLINE  

MortoffGames

Chopper Commander

• 144 posts

Posted Fri Nov 3, 2017 3:10 PM

Yes people still use it for instance Cardano used it to make their new currency ADA

https://www.cardanohub.org/en/home/

#12 JamesD ONLINE  

JamesD

Quadrunner

• 7,754 posts

Posted Sat Nov 4, 2017 1:24 PM

When I first learned Pascal, I loved it (coming from BASIC and Fortran).
Once I learned C, I stopped loving Pascal.
Pascal has a lot of the things I don't like compared to C, but modern versions fix a lot of that.  It also has a lot of things I like that I didn't appreciate when I was younger.

There are several modern versions of Pascal still in use.  The most common that still very Pascal like is Delphi and searching for jobs on Dice or Monster always seems to turn up a few jobs.
ADA is used for many govt projects and you'll see jobs posted for that, though technically it's not really Pascal. 

I would think that back in the early days with UCSD Pascal and the P-systems, those were used commercially to some degree, or perhaps there were other compilers emitting P-code besides Pascal? Of course from the early 1990's and onwards, the situation may have changed though Delphi appears to have had enough users to be released in new versions over the years. A programming language without the commercial demand probably would just disappear from the market or turn into open source for the remaining hobbyists.

Edit: Bah, I always mix up the order of the letters: UCSD or USCD and most of the time I get them in the wrong order.

There was a Pascal User newsletter back in the early days. 
Based on the articles and code from that, UCSD was obviously used by a lot of CS departments and researchers, but I'm not sure how many applications were written for it outside of that group.  It had some outrageous license fee like $10,000 in the early years, and there was no runtime only license until the 80s.
BYTE has advertisements for UCSD Pascal in 1982 targeting business type devs, so there has to be some programs written for it outside of that group. A company named SoftTech owned it at that time, there is no mention of license fees though.

The P-Machine was supposedly used by several other languages.  Fortran, BASIC, Modula 2 (around 1986), and C, though I've never found all of those on the internet.

*edit* LOL It's really easy to type US.    Just remember UCSD stands for University of California San Diego, not United States something.  

Edited by JamesD, Sat Nov 4, 2017 1:26 PM.

• jhd likes this

#13 teh_supar_hackr OFFLINE  

teh_supar_hackr

Space Invader

• 23 posts

Posted Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:05 AM

I installed it and never got the time to learn the language scence I was busy with Q-Basic at the time.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users