IGNORED

A new CP/M system out of Japan

JamesD

It's definitely a nice looking machine. There is a version with a wood called the elegant model.

Picture-h533-1.jpg

The conversion from yen to US dollars came out to be around (over) $1500 for the first one and under $500 for the budget version but I don't remember exact #s.
That seems a little high but it's a pretty nice system as far as looks and performance.
The system is based on a Z180 and is switchable from 2MHz to 10MHz. That's probably about the speed of a 13.3MHz Z80, so it's pretty fast as far as CP/M machines go.
When a bare board Z180 CP/M system clocked at 6MHz is over $100 (if you can still get them) it's not really that bad once you add on everything..
It comes with 512K though Z80 code won't know about anything over 64K.

The original article also mentioned a 6800 machine with a 6802 CPU

• Like 2

If they're hand made in low quantities, I'm not that surprised about the asked price. Though it is true that you'll likely get an original vintage 8080 system for the same money, possibly in similar visual condition too. These are pretty but not historically significant so it depends for which reason you would want one.

If they're hand made in low quantities, I'm not that surprised about the asked price. Though it is true that you'll likely get an original vintage 8080 system for the same money, possibly in similar visual condition too. These are pretty but not historically significant so it depends for which reason you would want one.

I would love one, but you are right... it's not historically significant.

If I just wanted to run CP/M, the budget system would be great... but it's kinda blah without all the switches and blinking lights and you can probably save a little money elsewhere.

One thing in it's favor, is that it has to be more reliable than the originals. The power supply, multiple cards, type of RAM, etc... just aren't as reliable on those old systems.

As far as CP/M systems go, it has to be one of the faster machines, but what would you do with that speed?

If you had a custom application that's been running on CP/M since the 70s then yeah, but who would do that?

It would be neat for teaching, but I think it would be like the class I had. One assignment involved switching on the front panel and that was it.

In spite of the price and lack of historical significance (other than being a work alike), I LKIE IT!

I think I'd splurge for the first design and buy a rack mount travel case for it. Then I'd put a Pi or CHIP in it as a terminal emulator.

Gut the fucker and stick and R-Pi in there for emulation. Or, display it nicely on the other side of your electronic's lab.

Reminds me of this:

http://www.altairkit.com/

attachicon.gif061119-completed_altair_1974.jpg

This is designed to take a PC motherboard

http://altairclone.com/details.htm

I think these early rigs, including the IMSAI, are historically important. They were the more popular kits of the 1970's, and for many the only practical & affordable way to get a computer in the basement.

I have no qualms about a repro kit like these in this thread, because, reliability. If anything I hate, it's trying to troubleshoot 2 problems at once, wonky ratbaggy hardware and the software at hand.

Gut the fucker and stick and R-Pi in there for emulation. Or, display it nicely on the other side of your electronic's lab.

Reminds me of this:

http://www.altairkit.com/

After visiting that site I was reminded that Altair made a 680 machine with a similar front panel.

Those have to be really rare since the SWTPC systems with the autoboot hit about the same time and were cheaper.

I think these early rigs, including the IMSAI, are historically important.

No doubt that an IMSAI 8080 is historically important, but a Legacy 8080 is not, even if there used to be a model looking exactly like that and this is a replica. Just as historically important as an NES Classic Mini, fun to play with but surely not worth $500 to add to your collection.

I rather want the elegant model; there is just something appealing about the console lights and the woodgrain covered case.

This information may be provided on the original site, but I cannot read Japanese, so:

Does this system include a hard drive, or is it necessary to source an original floppy disk drive? I see a USB port on the back, but are there even CP/M drivers for it?

Is the disk format compatible with any other systems -- I realize that CP/M "standards" are rather loose.

In short, is this an actual usable piece of hardware (with the appropriate peripherals and accessories), or is it just an expensive display piece?