Atari founder Nolan Bushnell is coming to the Alamo City

8 replies to this topic

#1 RARusk OFFLINE  

RARusk

Stargunner

• 1,069 posts
  • Excuse me, which way to Tokyo?

Posted Wed Nov 1, 2017 7:50 PM

On November 9 there will be a rally by a local group called Tech Bloc that will be held at RackSpace here in San Antonio featuring Atari founder Nolan Bushnell (this page goes into more detail about the event and how much to attend). If you're local this would be where the old Windsor Park Mall used to be (I-35 and Walzem).

Prior to the main program there will be the pre-party with gaming contests and cosplay. The contests will be done using the four main Atari consoles: 2600, 5200, 7800, and Jaguar. All consoles, controllers (including homebrew), games, and other stuff that have been accumulated over the years (including the Lynx) are being provided by me for the event.

I'm hoping that some of the local AA'ers will come by and partake in the festivities. Feel free to ask me questions if you're interested.

#2 amiman99 OFFLINE  

amiman99

Stargunner

• 1,023 posts

Posted Wed Nov 1, 2017 9:40 PM

It would be nice to go, but on Thursday is a no go for me, it's a school night and kids can't go.

I wished they did that on a weekend.

#3 PikoInteractive OFFLINE  

PikoInteractive

Moonsweeper

• 469 posts

Posted Thu Nov 2, 2017 10:01 AM

I bought Tickets already, hopefully nothing comes up.

#4 RARusk OFFLINE  

RARusk

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,069 posts

Posted Sun Nov 5, 2017 12:39 PM

As I mentioned there is going to be gaming contests held before the main program. Each of the four consoles will use one game for them with volunteers keeping track of the scores. And the games are:

On the Atari 2600 it will be Space Invaders.

On the Atari 5200 it will be Pac-Man. The console itself has been modified to get rid of needing to use the special switchbox. The controller used will be an arcade stick (built into an old ColecoVision case) with a Wico Command Center keypad module and all attached to a Redemption 5200 adapter.

On the Atari 7800 it will be Asteroids. The controller used will be the Mini 7800 controller used for the early Atari Flashback consoles but re-wired so it can be used on the 7800 itself.

On the Jaguar it will be Tempest 2000. The controller used will be a rotary controller I built years ago and with a second joypad for bonus stages and high-score entry.

#5 RARusk OFFLINE  

RARusk

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,069 posts

Posted Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:49 AM

The event went pretty well and I got a couple of pictures of myself with Nolan. He also came in with the express purpose of shoeshaming everybody - he wore bright red shoes with LED lighted soles. Everybody also liked the consoles and setups - winners of the contests got a flat screen TV. After everything was said and done I was invited to dinner at a restaurant near Trinity University which I happily accepted. Glad I went. Not only was the food taken care of, meaning free dinner, I also got to sit just a few feet away from two of the three founders of RackSpace, Nolan Bushnell, and the Mayor of San Antonio. All in all, a pretty good night. I have plenty of pictures but I will need to go through them first.

• jhd likes this

#6 RARusk OFFLINE  

RARusk

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,069 posts

Posted Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:03 PM

I just put my pictures from the event on FaceBook but I need to put them on my account at imgur before posting them here. In the meantime, a local film crew did work for the event and released their film today. You can catch fleeting glimpses of me but I'm in there.

#7 lushgirl_80 OFFLINE  

lushgirl_80

Stargunner

• 1,860 posts

Posted Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:21 PM

Sounds like a nice event! I'll be interviewing Nolan again early next year. He is a great man.

#8 RARusk OFFLINE  

RARusk

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,069 posts

Posted Sun Dec 3, 2017 1:16 PM

I finally put up my pictures up at imgur but here are a few of them if you don't want to travel:

Spoiler

#9 AMenard OFFLINE  

AMenard

Chopper Commander

• 175 posts

Posted Sun Dec 3, 2017 1:54 PM

I finally put up my pictures up at imgur but here are a few of them if you don't want to travel:

Spoiler

What? No spa, booze or drugs! Mr. Bushnell is getting old

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users