IGNORED

Original Xbox Component cable recommendations

Gamemoose

I'm want to get my hands on a decent component cable for the original Xbox but I don't want to pay through the nose for it. The original component kit from Microsoft was bulky but it worked, however I can't quite justify dropping the $40-$60 on the official HD kit.

I see a lot of cables on eBay that range from a few bucks to about $15. I have no idea if any of them are any good.

Anyone have any recommendations?

I see them in thrift stores from time to time.

Since the channels each have their own separate cable, you really can't go too far wrong. If it works, it works. I wouldn't expect any interference using any of the M$ component cables you see in your travels. The knock-offs are dirt cheap too ($3.50), so there's not too much risk there.

• Like 1

I got one of those cheap component cables and the picture was crappy and was not right. Other versions may work, but I didn't want to gamble again. I ended up getting the official adapter used and it worked as it should. I would have done the HDMI mod if I could but my TV has component inputs, so it worked out.

The official Microsoft HD adapter and the Monster cable work great. The cheap ones have bad interference, especially on anything above 480p. Believe me, I am typically cheap and I've tried them- they have noticeably bad quality.

You do get what you pay for here... However, you can find the good ones cheap enough if you are patient.

• Like 1

There is never a reason to purchase Monster cables. Never.

Trust me- I agree they are overpriced when new, but when bought used and at a reasonable price, they are good cables.

So in this case, I disagree with "never". There are cases where there is a difference, and this is one of them. If you are just philosophically against them, then you can try to find the Official Microsoft HD AV Pack...

Edited by R.Cade

I've got a cheap set of component cables for the XBOX, and don't notice any overt interference. Are you next to a reactor or under high tension wires?

If you don't notice, then fine - it works for you. I notice it easily when running anything higher than 480p.

Trust me- I agree they are overpriced when new, but when bought used and at a reasonable price, they are good cables.

So in this case, I disagree with "never". There are cases where there is a difference, and this is one of them. If you are just philosophically against them, then you can try to find the Official Microsoft HD AV Pack...

I am not a fan of monster. At all. When I worked a big box store, I refused to even mention the name to customers. If they handed me a monster cable, I would ring it up, but at no point would I even imply it wasnt a waste of money.

But Im gonna say this: the monster Screen Clean kit, is GOOD STUFF. Its what I use to clean all my electronics. I file it under the broke clock rule.

If you're handy with a soldering iron, you can put a component to HDMI converter (note, converter NOT upscaler).inside the old xbox. Those converters typically run $20 or less. Just run a google search, some folks have already done that.

Interesting, is the digital audio routed through the HDMI as well (or is "could it be" the better question)? Edited by robbievgb

My cheap cable wasn't good- there was noticeable rolling static on constantly. But after waiting things out for a few months I got a high defintion AV pack for $35- not dirt cheap, but notably better than the going rate- and very worth the upgrade.

if your setup requires an upgrade to component right now, get a cheap cable- you may get lucky. Otherwise, wait out a deal on something more 'official'. You won't regret it!

Yes, the audio and video go through HDMI

I think I know what he is asking and no, it's not the original digital audio. The analog audio is tapped into the converter... It is in the HDMI, yes, but it's from the analog output.

Edited by R.Cade
  • Like 1

I got lucky yesterday & found some og Xbox component cables at a Game Exchange that's out of my area. It's one of the multi system cables that have Xbox & ps2 connectors. I had very little hope that they would be worth anything, especially considering one of the plastic casings had been cracked a little & possibly super glued at some point an there was what appeared to be cat hair stuck to it. They were marked $6.95 & after I pointed the flaws out to the clerk she marked them down to $2.95 so I figured at $3 it was worth a shot. I got home, cleaned them up and to my surprise they actually worked & made a noticeable difference! The bad part is there are no markings whatsoever on the cables indicating a manufacturer so I can't really tell you what to look for. The cables & casings are smoke colored & the tips are copper/brass colored. The cables are nice & thick and appear to be well made overall.

I'm not a fan of Monster cables because of the unjustified huge mark-up. However, you can find these at thrift stores for 3 or 4 bucks easily. I like the metallic braid on the cords and the green color that matches the system. The only thing I don't like is how tight the ends are that plug into the TV, they can actually pull the contacts out from the back.

I can also confirm that my cheapo oXbox cables produced a ton of rolling noise and artifacts. I ended up with some Monster cables that alleviated the issue.

I've honestly had good luck with cheapo Chinese cables before but it seems the oXbox may be an expection from reading around and checking out reviews. It was kind of good news for me... I was hoping my console didn't have issues with component :)