IGNORED

NES vs. SMS vs. XEGS vs. 7800

A2600

Which of these systems was a better system

NES ?

SMS ?

XEGS ?

7800 ?

And why, please demonstrade in a head to head matter!!

Example:

Biggest Library?

7800 followed by NES then by XEGS

Biggest Library: Tie (NES and Atari XEGS)

Best Graphics: Tie (SMS and Atari 7800)

Best Sound: Atari XEGS (can't beat the POKEY!)

Least Outdated: SMS

Best Games: NES

Largest Userbase: Tie (NES and Atari XEGS)

Smallest Library: Atari 7800

Worst Graphics: Atari XEGS

Worst Sound: Atari 7800

Most Outdated: Atari XEGS

Worst Games: NES

Smallest Userbase: Atari 7800

Best System IMO: NES (despite all the crappy games)

Worst System IMO: Atari 7800 (I still like it though)

well IMO:

Best Graphics: SMS

Best Sound: The NES, has awsome tracks

Least Outdated: SMS (got to give it you! AB)

Best Games: SMS

Largest Userbase: NES (bunch of NES players)

Smallest Library: Atari 7800 (thats a fact if you are not counting 2600)

Worst Graphics: Atari XEGS (got to give it you! AB)

Worst Sound: Atari 7800 (got to give it you! AB)

Most Outdated: NES ( XEGS came out 87-88 )

Smallest Userbase: Atari 7800 (got to give it you! AB)

Best System IMO: Tie (SMS & NES)

Worst System IMO: XEGS (havent played 7800 that much!!)

The Atari XE Game System started out as just that, a game system. Once Atari released an add-on keyboard for it though, the keyboard turned it into a full-fledged Atari 8bit computer, that had the same ports and capabilities as the rest of the 8bit line, including being able to use the same disk drives and such. The graphics are slightly improved over earlier versions, and since this is the only one of the Atari 8bit line to have a detachable keyboard, the normal function keys, such as RESET and SELECT, are located on the system unit itself, vice the keyboard. The XE has a single exposed cartridge slot on top, two joystick ports and a single general purpose I/O port. The cartridge slot was enhanced and intended as a replacement for the PBI used in the XL series. The case is grey, more in the style of the ST line of computers, with pastel colored function keys that are round and oversized. The XEGS was released in November 1987.

post-927-1053803148_thumb.jpg

post-927-1053803149_thumb.jpg

well IMO:

Best Graphics: SMS

Best Sound: The NES, has awsome tracks

Least Outdated: SMS (got to give it you! AB)

Best Games: SMS

Largest Userbase: NES (bunch of NES players)

Smallest Library: Atari 7800 (thats a fact if you are not counting 2600)

Worst Graphics: Atari XEGS (got to give it you! AB)

Worst Sound: Atari 7800 (got to give it you! AB)

Most Outdated: NES ( XEGS came out 87-88 )

Smallest Userbase: Atari 7800 (got to give it you! AB)

Best System IMO: Tie (SMS & NES)

Worst System IMO: XEGS (havent played 7800 that much!!)

Actually, the reason why I said the XEGS was the most outdated was because it was still based on the 400/800 computers, which were made in 1979. The NES dates back to 1983.

Ah ha once again Electric Prat and the C64 -- please stop it you moron -- this is an ATARI board, NOT a C64 one.

Can't you read???

The question wasn't which of the cheap 80's computers my daddy bought me was best, but which of a list of 4 systems was best and why -- keep it at least relevent...

Much as I love all things 8bit, and the fanboy in me agrees that Pokey was better than the NES audio -- I gotta say the most outdated was the XEGS since it was just a clone of the original 400/800 from 1979... Its hardware just wasn't upto the NES or SMS standards :(

I would rank the systems thus:

NES

SMS

XEGS

Just based on the ONLY important factor in a console -- the games, both quality and quantity....

I've not played anything on a 7800 that truly stands out, and because it's total cart count is so small, its just not a contender. The NES wins I feel (not that I have any love for it) becuase it has the largest number games and the largest number of good games too. Its hard to argue against not just Nintendo's own products but the great content provided by Capcom, Konami, Rare (even then RC Pro Am shone!), Square etc etc...

sTeVE

Biggest Library: NES (Including those Craptacular Titles!)

Best Graphics: SMS (Wonder Boy III!)

Best Sound: Tie Between NES and SMS

Best Games: Tie Between NES and SMS

Largest Userbase: NES (Then SMS)

Worst Graphics: Tie (XEGS and 7800) (Sorry Atari!)

Most Outdated: Atari XEGS (Dates back the the XL series, 1982!)

Best System IMO: SMS

Worst System IMO: Their Is None, I like all of them in their own ways!

With the addition of an NES, I now have all four of these systems sitting side by side in my office.

I don't agree that the 7800 has "the worst graphics". Based purely comparing the overall graphics of the Atari 7800 library vs the Atari XE cart library, I've gotta go with the XE. With both systems, you see hints that the systems were capable of more than Atari paid developers to create, but they also didn't have companies like SQUARE trying to push them.

In terms of smallest userbase, the Atari XE Game System sold the poorest of all four. Yes, it was an 8-bit computer, but the XEGS as a console was a horrible seller. It didn't eclipse the 2600 and 7800, let alone the NES and SMS.

My take:

Biggest Library: NES (Though you could make arguments for the XEGS if you count its 8-bit compatibility and the 7800 if you count its 2600 compatability)

Best Graphics: SMS, though all systems have their moments.

Best Sound: I've gotta go with the NES. While the XEGS had a wicked POKEY chip, it wasn't used well in the Atari XE brand cartridges.

Best Games: This is really hard -- it's a case of the types of games you like. If you want adventure games and sports games, NES. If you want RPG's, the SMS. If you want arcade classics, the Atari machines.

Largest Userbase: NES - by a wide, wide, wide margin.

Smallest Library: If you count purely "Atari XE" cartridges, then the XEGS. You could say that the XEGS could play all those 400/800 carts, but then the 7800 could play 2600 carts. Same logic. Also, the SMS library is large, but that's predominantly European. In North America, it had a pretty puny library.

Worst Graphics: I'll go with the XEGS, based upon the games Atari released for it.

Worst Sound: Atari 7800 - no contest there.

Most Outdated: This is a case of splitting hairs. In terms of processors, three of the four use the same processor. In terms of colours, the NES has the smallest palette. In terms of resolution, the XE has the lowest resolution, in terms of playing colourful games. In terms of sound, the 7800's chip goes back to the late 70s.

Worst Games: I love the 7800, but it didn't have a lot of standouts and a lot of quick-hack ports.

Smallest Userbase: Atari XEGS - we're not talking about the 8-bit computer line. In terms of system sales, this came in dead last.

The Atari XE Game System started out as just that, a game system. Once Atari released an add-on keyboard for it though, the keyboard turned it into a full-fledged Atari 8bit computer

XEGS doesn't sound much better than a 5200. After all, the 5200 was *also* based on the 400/800 computers, was it not? Seems like XEGS would be a step backward in technology?

I'n not experienced with an XEGS, so I'll have to do this based on the three consoles:

Best Graphics: SMS, easily.

Best Sound: NES

Best Games: NES, there were some bad ones, but plenty of good ones, too.

Largest Userbase: NES

Smallest Library: 7800, I don't count 2600 games

Worst Graphics: technically the NES, however, the 7800 was almost never used to it's full capacity. That said, the 7800 (sadly) gets me vote .

Worst Sound: 7800, the sound is embarrassing

Most Outdated: Tie, between NES & 7800

Worst Games: NES, so many 3rd party titles are crap...

Smallest Userbase: Tie between 7800 & SMS, neither one stacked up compared to the NES.

I've heard the argument made a few times that 7800 versions of games usually suck compared to the NES versions. While this is often true -- particularly when it came to arcade hits of the day like DOUBLE DRAGON -- I discovered the reverse tonight. I received my copy of the NES conversion of COMMANDO. After a few minutes of playing, I'm pretty surprised at how bad this game sucks on the NES.

The 7800 version has better graphics, better sprite movement and better sound. Sculptured Software did a great job with the 7800 version but Capcom really blew the NES one. Now if only Sculptured Software or Blue Sky Software had been hired to do DOUBLE DRAGON on the 7800 instead of ABSOLUTE ENTERTAINMENT ...

Much as I love all things 8bit, and the fanboy in me agrees that Pokey was better than the NES audio

You gotta be kidding! Compared to the Pokey, NES sound really kicks ass! Some tunes like "Super Spy Hunter", and most Sunsoft/Konami in-game musics could n-e-v-e-r be possible on the Pokey. Sure, you could convert the melody, so that you would recognize the tune, but it would just be small shadow compared to the original.

My personal Hitlist:

Best gfx: Sega Master System (although the 7800 has a VERY innovative concept of rendering the graphics - the Jaguar uses the same method. I think Maria can do much more than we see from the existing game library)

Best Sound: NES (5 channels with 2 squarewaves, 1 triangle, 1 noise and 1 DPCM channel kick ass - though not as good as the C64)

Best Games: NES (Yeah, sure, there are many, many bad games (THQ, Hi-tech expressions, etc...), but every system which is supported by Konami, Namco, Capcom, Nintendo, Square, Sunsoft is a winner!)

Worst gfx: Atari XEGS (Sorry, as good as the chips were, by 1985 standards really outdated)

Worst sound: Atari 7800 (without Pokey) (No wonder when you consider that Saturday Night Fever was running in cinemas when the soundhardware was designed)

Worst games: Atari 7800 (But i really love Ballblazer, Food Fight, Ninja Golf, Ms Pacman, although these games cannot be compared to games like Zelda, SMB3 and Castlevania)

All in one: i love being an 8 bit collector... ;-)

Worst games: Atari 7800 (But i really love Ballblazer, Food Fight, Ninja Golf, Ms Pacman, although these games cannot be compared to games like Zelda, SMB3 and Castlevania)  

Isn't that the truth. It has fun games, but none of them really had anything that could compare to something like Contra or Castlevania. Activision had the chance to get something new on the 7800 with Double Dragon, but really missed out with poor graphics and sound, and gameplay that wasn't as smooth as it should've been.

BTW, DracIsBack, just gotta tell you (and I'm not raggin' on you or anything), but in a previous thread, when you were debating the 7800 review of DD from the Dojo site, you thought it was my review that stated it pushed the Maria chipset to it's limit. That wasn't me, but another reviewer, I had just done an article and few reviews for the site. I'm not mad or making fun or anything, just want to let you know I was never a big fan of the way Activision handled the game :D .

The Atari XE Game System started out as just that, a game system. Once Atari released an add-on keyboard for it though, the keyboard turned it into a full-fledged Atari 8bit computer

XEGS doesn't sound much better than a 5200. After all, the 5200 was *also* based on the 400/800 computers, was it not? Seems like XEGS would be a step backward in technology?

Actually, it was a step sideways. The XEGS (short for XE Game System) was what was originally in mind for the original 400 PCS in 1979 - a game console that could double as a low end computer (or vice versa). (Coincidentally, this is what the original designers tried to go on to duplicate at their next company (Amiga), before Commodore turned it in to a full fledged computer). Unfortunately the 400 was packaged and pushed more as a low end "games computer" instead because Kassar didn't want to eat in to the 2600's profits. The 5200 was a response to the Intellivision and meant to be an "advanced" game console, so again to differentiate it so as not to eat in to the 2600's profits. So they took the technology from the 400 and created the 5200, which was just a game console with no other value. Once the Tramiel's took over and put the 5200 out of it's missery, they decided to do the 5200 "right" (while technically it was going back and doing the original 400 PCS idea "right") and introduce the XEGS. The XEGS was basicly an Atari 65XE computer in a console's clothing, with a built in SIO bus, detachable keyboard, 64K of memory (the 5200 only had 16k, and the 400 PCS was expandable to 48K without soldering), and the XE enhanced cartridge slot that replaced the original PBI slot in the XL's. It also had a modified system ROM that included BASIC and a built in Missile Command game. Basicly the story goes, wanting to dip in to extra 65XE stock they asked the heads of several major toy store chains which product they'd rather sell -- the 65XE home computer for about $80, or a fancy new game system for about $150. The answer was, "You can keep the computer, give us that game machine!" And so the XEGS was released as a "higher end" console/intro to computers machine in 1986 at the same time they were also pushing the 7800.

The Atari XE Game System ...The graphics are slightly improved over earlier versions...

Improved? Same chipset as the 400/800. Same ANTIC. Same GTIA as in the later 800s and XL/XE. How are the graphics slightly improved?

And so the XEGS was released as a "higher end" console/intro to computers machine in 1986 at the same time they were also pushing the 7800.

This is why I said the XEGS was a "step back". It was a games console using 1978 technology. The 7800/NES/SMS were using ~1983-4 technology. The XEGS was outdated and should never have been released by Atari.

And so the XEGS was released as a "higher end" console/intro to computers machine in 1986 at the same time they were also pushing the 7800.

This is why I said the XEGS was a "step back". It was a games console using 1978 technology. The 7800/NES/SMS were using ~1983-4 technology. The XEGS was outdated and should never have been released by Atari.

IMO, the XEGS was an excellent system. The two big problems I have with it is that it had the wrong pack-ins and it was released at the wrong time. The XEGS should have been the 5200, and the 400/800 should have been the XEGS too.

• 6 months later...

I have always payed attention to the sound coming out of these machines more so than the graphics. I dont know why, I guess i am a sound freak.

I have to say the XE's Pokey chip was excellent. I have heard some nice music come from that machine (example Atari's B.I.G. DEMO) has many classic tunes I love. The Intro to the Alternate Reality games were cool too. Too bad the games rarely utilized its hidden potential.

I also have to say that the NES has some impressive music as well (SMB3, Castlevania, Final Fantasy, MegaMan 2. etc). I bet the Pokey could have tackled these but thats only my opinion. The NES had a good soundchip with programmers that knew how to use it well. Makes all the difference.

And as for the Classic 7800.....I love the system but the its sound is totally lame for its era. My 4 year old has "My Little Pony" toys that sound better. Mind you I will never part with it, but If ONLY they would have put the Pokey in this system I believe it would have truly rocked....

I am not familiar with the SMS enought to comment on the Music, never played one in my life.

Which is why we need some of these homebrew studs pumping out 2600/5200 stuff to work for the 7800. The XE is indefensible, seeing as how they were competing with themselves and failing, but one thing it deserves props for . . .

The only conversion of Escape from Castle Wolfenstein on these four machines . . .

Beyond that, the NES is the clear winner, because it got more great games than the others got almost in their entire libraries . . . And in the genres the others didn't really touch (SMS had better RPGs? It has one amazingly awesome series, yes, but the NES had two series that defined the genre and other lesser ones that were damn good.)

Archived