Handling large or multiple .bas files

batari ide

5 replies to this topic

#1 metalbabble OFFLINE  

metalbabble

Combat Commando

• 8 posts

Posted Sat Nov 4, 2017 5:20 PM

I was curious what peoples' strategies were for managing large .bas source files. (Maybe there's a super-obvious solution I missed, I am kind of a noob at this.) I bring it up because one of the biggest challenges I've encountered so far has been working with really large multi-bank games, where you have thousands of lines of code. I guess I'm just spoiled by OOP and modern IDEs!

I've tried Visual bB - which is really slick, and I've heard there's some sort of bookmarking feature, but I didn't dig to deeply into that.

What I've actually been doing is using Visual Studio Code and splitting up my source file into several .bas files. (bank1.bas, bank2.bas, etc) Then, I have a build action run a script that merges these parts into one large master .bas file that gets sent to the batari compiler and then the emulator. It actually made things a little easier for me.... I'd be happy to post that if it's useful to anyone. Or maybe there's an easier way you know of?

#2 Random Terrain OFFLINE  

Random Terrain

Visual batari Basic User

• 28,244 posts
  • Controlled Randomness
    Replay Value
    Nonlinear

Posted Sat Nov 4, 2017 5:56 PM

The VbB Bookmarks make working on a large program much easier, but they were always randomly getting out of order when I used them, so I had to constantly fix them, which added more frustration.

They stayed in order long enough to be worth using, but just barely. Since the creator of VbB is too busy to work on it anymore, it would be nice if somebody came along and made a fresh version with the best of the VbB tools without the frustrating parts.

#3 metalbabble OFFLINE  

metalbabble

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 8 posts

Posted Sat Nov 4, 2017 7:10 PM

Yeah, I hear you. That Visual bB is a great start, it would be cool if it kept going with updates. On that note, I was kind of thinking it might be neat to develop an extension for VS Code to support batari development. Something with snippets, syntax checking/highlighting, etc. (Hmmm...) For now, all I've got is that build script.

#4 Sprybug OFFLINE  

Sprybug

Dragonstomper

• 554 posts

Posted Sun Nov 5, 2017 5:14 AM

I should start using that.  The way I've done it over the years is keep a lot of hand written notes handy! XD

I still have all my old Princess Rescue and Zippy the Porcupine notes.

I wonder if anyone would be curious in seeing them.  I can always scan them in.

Nothing really special to see, but maybe someone would be curious?

#5 metalbabble OFFLINE  

metalbabble

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 8 posts

Posted Sun Nov 5, 2017 6:44 AM

There's something to be said for good note taking. By the way I played both of those and they're completely amazing!! 

#6 Sprybug OFFLINE  

Sprybug

Dragonstomper

• 554 posts

Posted Mon Nov 6, 2017 4:27 PM

There's something to be said for good note taking. By the way I played both of those and they're completely amazing!! 

Thanks and thanks guys for making me aware of the VbB's Bookmarks.  I'm gonna take a look into that.  There are so many times in my large code where I have to hunt when I need to fix or add things.  The time I waste doing that let you me tell ya.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: batari, ide

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users