IGNORED

Unpacking .st disk images?

O.K. I wait for it...

Hmm, for this one, who use .msa disk - is MSA.PRG (disk archiver). But I can't find nothing for .st extension archive  :(

You can try our JayMSA. It can extract all MSA images and some of the ST too. Unfortunately not all st files has correct bootsector.

Do I have to find a source of the Double Density floppies, or will the program format the floppies to what my ST can handle?

You'll have to find the DD (720kb) disks yourself. You can't format HD down to DD. You can, however, cover up the hole on the corner of the HD disk (not the write-protect switch hole) with tape, and try formatting it. It didn't work for me, but maybe it'll work for you.

And something else I learned; if you're trying to extract a compilation disk from someone along the lines of the Medway Bros., use STeem to extract it to your harddrive, then get rid of anything like .prg menus, desktop.inf files (those are annoying, eh?) text messages, pictures used by the menu program, etc. And remember to maximize your disk space by doing a full format on your floppy! I got Bart vs the World working using this (after two hours ;) )

Do I have to find a source of the Double Density floppies, or will the program format the floppies to what my ST can handle?

You'll have to find the DD (720kb) disks yourself. You can't format HD down to DD. You can, however, cover up the hole on the corner of the HD disk (not the write-protect switch hole) with tape, and try formatting it. It didn't work for me, but maybe it'll work for you.

That has largely the same effect as formating a DD disk to HD, it will work for a week or so, but after that it'll just get... dodgy. Also you have to use thin tape or it'll snag on the inside of the drive mechs. All in all its much better to get some genuine DSDD disks from somewhere, and then post where you found them :).

]

oh sorry, on my home pagehttp://jaysoft.atari.org

it will be nice to remove this anti IE javascript used to have

popups and this navigator on about.html :sad:

I am sorry, It is coused by web counter. I will remove it next week. I did not know that there are troubles because I am using Mozilla or Lynx. Also we want to release free version of JayMSA, so stay tuned.

• 1 month later...

Inky:

I guess the follow up question being then, will a HD drive format DD floppies?

Well, at least you can do it from DOS, I used this "trick" all the time back at the end of my ST days since I was able to get HD disks very cheap (for free ;) ). Just cover up the mentioned hole in the HD disk with some nice thin tape that won't peel of, put the disk in your PC HD drive and format it in DOS using "format a: /u/q/f:720" if memory serves. Never had any problems. A HD drive won't have any problems formatting "true" DD disks either using the method I described.

About getting an .ST image to a disk for using on the real thing, couldn't you use makedisk or wfdcopy?

Maybe I haven't understood your problems but if not then disregard my replies.

Cheers!

/Troop

and while we are on the disregarding subject, please ignore the format line I wrote above, correct would be "format a: /u/f:720" since you can't quickformat the disk if it's in a different format than the one you're trying to make it.

/Troop

Archived