Photo

Pushing TI Modifications to a Ridiculous Level

2 replies to this topic

#1 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

TI-Runner

• 10,620 posts

Posted Tue Nov 7, 2017 2:02 PM

Now that everything is getting smaller, more compact (like TIPI) it's actually becoming easy enough to take your modified system with you to places like a Fest West or Chicago Faire.  However in that quest to make things more portable, requiring one less cord or one less wall-wart, I started wondering something after seeing the Chicago Fair mini LCD video.

What is the max output in amps from the 12V connector that supplied the old RF modulators?

There are multiple monitors out there like:

<< this one >> requires one amp and could be used with F18A equipped systems.  (No sound though).

There are also inexpensive composite monitors (without speakers) that could also be used... IF the current draw did not exceed the TI's output level.  Are there any experts out there with the information?  Could these be powered from the TI itself, or is this just a pipe dream?

Right now my portable system uses a 15" TV (for sound capability), but it would be nice to scale that down a bit for portability.

#2 Stuart OFFLINE  

Stuart

Dragonstomper

• 708 posts

Posted Tue Nov 7, 2017 3:50 PM

The +12V regulator in the power supply is rated for 1.5A, and the console is using around 330mA. Even if the transformer and PCB traces could handle it, the power supply is going to get pretty darn hot if you try to pull another 1A@+12V out of it. Not so much a coffee warmer, more a fusion reactor ..  ;-)

#3 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

TI-Runner

• Topic Starter
  • 10,620 posts

Posted Tue Nov 7, 2017 7:01 PM

Thanks Stuart,
I guess this idea is now officially toast

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users