IGNORED

XBox One X came out today, thoughts?

djour

Well I just watched a bunch more YouTube comparison videos, this time on the brand new 55" 4K Sony TV that I'm actually using to play games on. (And fittingly, I watched these comparisons through the Xbox One X.) I made sure the videos themselves were in 4K so I would really see what I'd be seeing while playing.

And I just can barely see any difference, in basically any game.

I mean, the difference is there - I don't deny that. But I can really only notice it when the comparison videos stop to show a particularly different still image and do that slow wipe from one system to another. And that's just not how anyone actually plays games. When the videos are actually playing gameplay footage, I can barely see any difference whatsoever. And that's on a side by side comparison - if I only had one system, I can't see how I'd miss the other.

I'm 80% on returning the X for an S at this point. It's just a really minor upgrade, but it's really expensive. The only thing that could really hold me back now is that it's just a pain in the ass returning something like this. I have to disconnect it and box it all up nicely again, then cart it back to the store, pick up something else, take it back home, unbox that and hook it all back up. *That* might be worth $250 to avoid doing. But, well, probably not.

I realize I said my last post would probably be it on the subject. But I'm just surprised at how little difference there is in all these videos I'm seeing. And some people are going nuts over how much better the X looks. I guess it's the same with any two systems on the market concurrently, past or present; there's always a group that really counts pixels. But for me, I've never bought one system over another because of slightly better graphics, I always buy based on some combination of price and game selection. I just got kind of caught up in the whole upgrade thing this time.

Yup, even the comparisons between the original PS4/XB1/PC were like this @ 1080p. They'd stop the comparison and say "look how much better this shadow looks on (system x)" and I'd be like 'where'?!?

It's why I'm in no rush to upgrade to 4K. The graphics in games at this point are functionally identical between all versions of most games. Even when one system renders better than another, the differences are at the pixel level and you won't even notice when the game is in motion. It's not like the old days where the difference between the same game on two different systems was night and day.

I'm not getting one anytime soon, if at all. I'm still in awe of what some last-gen systems do graphics-wise. There are games on the 360 and PS3 that still look incredible. I just got a Xbox One (original model) a year ago, and that is still blowing my mind. I'm seeing no reason to upgrade to a Xbox One X until my current XB1 breaks or I get a 4K TV and can't stand how the old one looks on it.

• Like 2

I've had one since launch night. Really amazing and well thought console. Games like Gears 3 look like remasters with the texture and anti aliasing improvements now. The current gen stuff like Forza and Gears 4, dear gawd. Seriously beautiful. I've also seen some digital foundry videos and the new Wolfenstein game has a much larger resolution over the PS4Pro,it embarrassing to see those differences. Its a year later than the Pro sure,but this thing has been well thought out. The hardware in the X even super samples every current gen game so that if you have a 1080 tv set then the X hardware takes those 4K textures and down samples them for 1080 tv sets and the result is a super clean image on more jaggies in games. In contrast PS4Pro users have to pray that developers go back and patch older PS4 games just to have that same feature. Its a pricey console but if you have a good library of 360 and XBox One games then its like playing a remastered version of the games now. Currently I'm enjoying Super Lucky's Tale,Forza,Gears, and Evil Within II,they look really great on the system. This console reminds me allot of the Dreamcast. In that it does so many things right,a super clean image output, very powerful hardware, and this far developers seem to be have a good take on the hardware where its not trouble to work with. Pricey console, but then again so are phones,tablets, and PCs, and they all play games. Depends on where you game the most I guess.

• Like 1

Well, I ended up returning mine and got an S. And I'm really happy with that decision. I saved $294 (with tax included; the S was on sale, *and* I got free Madden 18). I've played Forza 7 and just like in the YouTube videos I *can* see the difference, it's just not enough to care about. It's certainly not worth almost $300. For most people who didn't own an Xbox One, I'd say if you want to spend $500, buy an Xbox One S and a Switch and forget about the X for now.

I feel a lot better spending $229 vs. $499 on an Xbox One given how I'll probably use it, which is almost definitely going to be mostly streaming and 4K Blu-Ray. It's my 4K HDR media box.

At some point the X will be $300 or less and maybe then I'll sell my S and get an X again. Of course it won't be a Project Scorpio, but there wasn't enough specialness to that edition to make me care about it once I had it, and I really doubt it's ever going to be worth more than the $500 I paid for it (and got back). I did look at Ebay to see what people were getting for them, but brand new ones seem to only go for a little above the original price, and mine wasn't brand new.

btw the S is on sale for $189 at various places on Black Friday, and maybe for a bit after. I'll miss out on that but today was my last day to return. At least I got $20 off the regular price, so $229, and I got Madden.

• 1 month later...

Priced too high. I'd been thinking of getting an Xbone this year, waiting for the "upgraded" version, but I decide to go for a switch instead and save a lot of money.

I think it's priced as one would expect for a console with those types of specs. I like the Switch too, but it's hardly equivalent to either the PS4 Pro or Xbox One X. They're kind of different experiences.

• Like 4

Priced too high. I'd been thinking of getting an Xbone this year, waiting for the "upgraded" version, but I decide to go for a switch instead and save a lot of money.

Oh man I hear this, I went for the My Arcade Go Gamer and saved hundreds of dollars.

:P

I've been using my Xbox One since the launch and don't have many complaints. I did have some games crash on me, Skyrim in particular. Something that would happen sometimes on my old Xbox One, was hoping that would go away with the One X, but I guess not. There is a tech demo that can be downloaded for free called Insects. It is really just a looped video short that shows off the systems real-time graphics rendering capabilities. You can change the time of day and colors etc... and also turn off HDR so you can see the difference with and without. Won't hold your interest too long, but it's a cool little demo. I love watching 4K movies more than I thought I would. The picture is so clean it almost has a 3D effect.

I think it is priced okay for the specs that it has as well. That doesn't mean I want to pay up $500 for a gaming console. If we had a TV that took advantage of it... maybe, but no TV is getting replaced until something breaks.

What I would like is to have games in 1080p locked in at 60 fps. This only the case for some select enhanced titles, right? I assume there isn't a boost mode like there is for the PS4 Pro where it will try to beef up the frame rate of non-enhanced games with the caveat that it may cause problems.

My guess is by Black Friday 2018, we will see sales or better trade ins for older consoles to encourage people to purchase. It will also allow for enough time to see how the health of the platform is going.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I went back on my word and got one as we may be moving the original one upstairs. I could have gone with the Xbox One S, but I got details what it (Xbox One X) can do for 1080p setups. The improved frame rates are a big plus and I think something like Skyrim looks as good as it can get without going hog wild on a gaming PC. The supersampling does make noticeable improvements. This is expensive, but now that I have one, I see it is pretty well thought out.

Now I almost went 4K too, but not necessarily for a gaming console. With some work related projects, the extra screen real-estate with even 2K would have been nice. Seems like the 2K/4K monitor situation can get complicated, especially with Macs. My older MacBook pro is supposed to handle 2560x1440, (up to 1600p) but it seems to need a pricey dual linked active adapter from Apple, and 3rd party support is very hit or miss (I did not know that in advance). All I could get was 1080p at 30 mhz via HDMI or display port with the typical passive adapters that are common. Eye strain and choppiness galore. The relatively new laptop for work should have worked okay, but guess what.. Apple's USB C to HDMI adapter (and many 3rd party ones and docks) can only do 2k or 4k at 30 mhz with HDMI because it is only wired for HDMI 1.4. You can get USB C to HDMI (2.0) or Display port adapter to get 2k/4k at 60 mhm, but again, yet another pricey adapter.

Anyway, since the display could not do what I wanted computer wise without buying more dongles, the 4K monitor went back, and I am just going to stick with 1080p. I realize this more straight forward with a 4k TV with the consoles, but we don't need a new TV right now.