Photo

Incognito v2?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Monochrome Martinet

• 26,582 posts

Posted Wed Nov 8, 2017 9:47 AM

What's the status of the Incognito v2?  Is there a projected release date?

#2 slx OFFLINE  

slx

Stargunner

• 1,191 posts

Posted Wed Nov 8, 2017 12:58 PM

Lotharek does not seem to be in the habit of publishing estimated release dates, so just set a web alert on his page  and wait for happy news ;)

#3 flashjazzcat OFFLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 12,763 posts

Posted Wed Nov 8, 2017 2:11 PM

Only been waiting eight months for my developer's prototype, but I'm starting to think it was never posted.

#4 _The Doctor__ ONLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 2,668 posts

Posted Wed Nov 8, 2017 2:23 PM

I'd be happy with the first incognito re issued with the memory glitch fixed...

I keep missing the package deals and specials..or offerings completely... my absences always coincide with all the tasty good stuff....

Edited by _The Doctor__, Wed Nov 8, 2017 2:25 PM.

#5 Level42 ONLINE  

Level42

Stargunner

• 1,532 posts

Posted Wed Nov 8, 2017 3:13 PM

Only been waiting eight months for my developer's prototype, but I'm starting to think it was never posted.

Such a missed chance....

#6 wood_jl OFFLINE  

wood_jl

Quadrunner

• 6,851 posts

Posted Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:39 AM

I'd be happy with the first incognito re issued with the memory glitch fixed...

Hi.  What's this memory glitch?  Oh no!

#7 flashjazzcat OFFLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 12,763 posts

Posted Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:54 AM

Hi.  What's this memory glitch?  Oh no!

The cartridge control area at $D5xx is "write-thru" and hits the IORAM (memory reserved for use by the BIOS and PBI HDD driver) which shares the same address space. This means - for instance - that SpartaDOS X can take a hard disk partition off-line simply by writing to its own cartridge banking register. The partial fix was to simply move critical data out of this RAM region, but but it's hardly ideal and other cartridge types have the potential to cause troubles. Told Candle about it many months ago but I haven't heard from him since March or thereabouts, so presumably there's no interest in fixing it.

#8 _The Doctor__ ONLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 2,668 posts

Posted Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:37 AM

Fixing it would be awesome, in fact all the people who stumble on it are very interested in having it fixed....If there were a reason or some way to exploit the glitch I would suggest making it a toggle and allow both modes of operation if possible with modification(within the cpld? or other method?). The reason why I say that is in keeping with seeing what a thing can do approach to the Atari, great things can come from happy accidents or planned uses that sometimes get forgotten.

Edited by _The Doctor__, Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:39 AM.

#9 flashjazzcat OFFLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 12,763 posts

Posted Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:32 PM

...I would suggest making it a toggle and allow both modes of operation if possible with modification(within the cpld? or other method?). The reason why I say that is in keeping with seeing what a thing can do approach to the Atari, great things can come from happy accidents or planned uses that sometimes get forgotten.

No, it just needs fixed. Nothing good can come out of this unintended behavior, believe me. The RAM is supposed to be completely invisible to the OS unless the PBI device is selected. That said, I never heard any complaint regarding adverse side-effects of the bug since the workaround was implemented.

#10 ProWizard OFFLINE  

ProWizard

River Patroller

• 4,540 posts
  • Into Stampede

Posted Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:56 PM

Well, that is going to be fun, when it turns out that the new version of incognito will not run your awesome alternate bios, and people start to complain about that. 

Your alternative BIOS is considered as the first and only suitable BIOS, so in case someone involved in the project reads this: don't miss that boat please.

Edited by ProWizard, Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:57 PM.

#11 mytekcontrols ONLINE  

mytekcontrols

River Patroller

• 2,201 posts

Posted Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:19 PM

Your alternative BIOS is considered as the first and only suitable BIOS, so in case someone involved in the project reads this: don't miss that boat please.

I second that  :thumbsup: .

But do keep in mind that missing the boat isn't through any fault of Jon's ;) .

- Michael

#12 mimo OFFLINE  

mimo

Preppie!

• 6,804 posts
  • It's easy living in a bubble

Posted Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:15 AM

I could be tempted to sell my original Incognito if there is any interest 

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users