IGNORED

Brand New Atari Jaguar Pro Controllers- For Sale!

Starwander

WTF.

What I'm saying is I rarely have a second player over, and they are most likely not going to play Atari Karts, and you really need only 2 pro controllers at most (Unless you "hold the controller" instead of "laying the controller down and 2 fingering it" like a Genesis controller on NBA Jam, then you can make an argument for 4 Pros). So one genuine Atari brand one is fine with me.

And who knows how the ebay market will respond if someone splits a pair and sell one Re-Pro Jag-Pro. If they get more than $65 for one, more power to them. But it's just as likely the ebay market might DEVALUE it becuase it is not a genuine Atari Controller. Most genuine Sega 3-button controllers go for $10.00 on ebay, compared to $5 for "unlicensed third party" 6-button joysticks. and Genuine 6-ers go from $15-20. I notice the more common the knockoffs were, the cheaper they were. NES knockoffs go for $5, while NES orginais go from $10-20. but a Naki 3DO goes for $15, only $5 less than a Goldstar 3DO.

Because it wasn't a"back in the day ripoff" like most third party controllers are, and maybe, because it's advertised as "everything genuine except the Atari logo" and designed to fill a market, not cheaply exploit it, it MIGHT hold its value more than a back-in-the-day ripoff controller, but probably the genuine Atari brand ones will fetch more ebay money, just because they are genuine Atari brand.

Edited by tripletopper

Who cares how much they will be worth on eBay? The way I see it you get 2 so one can be gutted and mutilated and converted into a rotary controller (how bad ass would that be?) Maybe even throw one of old boys' LED glowy rotary dials on it and pimp it out real good! Then the other one you keep for playing everything else with!

Honestly I hope this release de-values the original Atari branded ones because come on! Everyone knows that crap isnt worth $500-$800 its just a damn controller and people want to only turn a profit.

I say flood the market..... Do another run of 2,000 more!

• Like 5

When Atari released the Jaguar into the public domain use of the Atari logo was not part of the deal. Reproducing the pro controller is legal because Atari made it so. Putting the Atari logo on it is not. Setting that fact aside, count me as glad that the controller does not have the Atari logo on it. We should be able to tell the difference between this product and the original controller. Starwander is not trying to fool anyone about what he is selling. He has been 100% transparent about what he has been doing and what this is. He is selling it for a fair price. He isn't trying to rip people off on eBay. He certainly isn't reproducing the pro controller so others can buy it and then try to rip people off on eBay. If you want a couple of pro controllers for a reasonable price here is your opportunity. If your interest is in how you can make Starwander's hard work profitable for you then you can get bent. I see no reason why he should entertain a single complaint from such people.

Thanks for doing this. I have an Atari pro controller but I would like to have more. I look forward to trying them out!

* Three posts in a row from the same person to follow...

• Like 5

Gave it a bump I don't think the update on the first post has been noticed:

Posted Wed Nov 8, 2017 11:02 AM
Update 10-10-2018
The controller shells, buttons and silicone pads are all finished for the 2000 controllers. 
Waiting PCB boards and controller cables and can move to final assembly. 
I made a website to handle the orders. 
You can order now and I will ship the controllers when they are ready. 
I will ship in the order received. https://hoskinson-industries.myshopify.com/

EDIT: order placed. Looking forward to it.

https://hoskinson-industries.myshopify.com/

Thanks for bumping this! I should be early on the list now! :)

That is true. If you announce "they are not genuine Jaguar controllers", the price may go down, even thought you can couch it up by saying they are following the original patent design and quality on everything except the Atari Logo, which is true.

Likewise it would be cruel to not mention the fact they are Re-pros and you fetch a very close to genuine Atari Price for it, and then have someone return it because I didn’t mention it was a re-pro. They’d say, "Where’s the Atari logo?" And have a bitter fight with ebay. I just don’t want to deal with the headaches with a re-pro, patent-expired "tribute" copy designed to feel and play exactly like a genuine Atari, but made by an indie to fill a shortage on the market. If i say it’s too similar, I’d get sendbacks if they thought it was genuine. If I play it off as a copy, I’d get nowhere near the retail price because some people will suspect it’s a cheap cash-in knockoff. The only way they’d know about this is if they follow the Atari Age forum. But if you follow this Atari Age forum, you won’t pay more than $60 plus shipping today.
I just don’t know if the ebay market will treat is as more than $60 or a less than $60 item. I understand it’s not a contemporary knockoff. But I don’t know what ebay will think.
I really don’t need a second joystick for something that is more than a 5-minute curiosity among my friends. If the price goes down on a re-pro, I’ll take advantage of it and be glad I have a genuine Atari and a second oh-so-close re-pro. If it goes up, I’ll say it was too risky to go into hock for something that may not achieve its repro retail value on ebay, and be glad I have a genuine Atar, and be glad for the richer folks that got on it.
By the way, don't turn it into a 6-button rotary control, It would be a waste on a repro since (i heard) Tempset 2000, the only game with rotary control, (unless you count retro brew Super Sprint.) doesn't use keypad buttons (and if it's a literal arcade translation, Super Sprint doesn't use it either.). Likewise I'm smart enough to know, if I'm going to make a pad hack fight stick, use a common 3 button one, because the other 5 buttons equal keypad presses in a more convenient form. Plius with a little ingenuity, I can get the other 5 joystick buttons to equal ANY 5 keypad presses, not just the default ones thet thew Pro Controllers allow. By the way, what ARE the 5 buttons that the Pro COntrollers use. It seems like they're programmable by the ROM, because I've seen 1 and 3 equal L and R and I've seen 4 and 6 equal L and R on Missile Command 3D and Atari Karts respectively. Are the pro extra buttons programmable by the ROM and can change from game to game, or is there one "dumb mapping"? Primal Rage's Pro Controller scheme, based on the scanned instructions, makes me question the "dumb mapping theory"

When Atari released the Jaguar into the public domain use of the Atari logo was not part of the deal. Reproducing the pro controller is legal because Atari made it so. Putting the Atari logo on it is not. Setting that fact aside, count me as glad that the controller does not have the Atari logo on it. We should be able to tell the difference between this product and the original controller. Starwander is not trying to fool anyone about what he is selling. He has been 100% transparent about what he has been doing and what this is. He is selling it for a fair price. He isn't trying to rip people off on eBay. He certainly isn't reproducing the pro controller so others can buy it and then try to rip people off on eBay. If you want a couple of pro controllers for a reasonable price here is your opportunity. If your interest is in how you can make Starwander's hard work profitable for you then you can get bent. I see no reason why he should entertain a single complaint from such people.

Thanks for doing this. I have an Atari pro controller but I would like to have more. I look forward to trying them out!

I know starwinder is just filling in a little community gap. I'm not saying he's tryign to make big bucks. I was just openly debatign whether to get a second controller, which requires me getting an unnecessary third controller. At first I had this face $) I asked if there was an option to buy one, Starwinder said no. Then I delved deep, do I really want to spend $60 on a second player for one game I have where a standard controller sucks, when I rarely have 2UPs, and I don't play much Jaguar NOW, and would me no more than a 5 minute curiosity to my friends and brother?

Add to the fact that I couldn't guarantee that the price wouldn't fetch the retail $60 for 1 if i was honest and told them it was the Strawinder Re-Pro Jag Pro. It could be worth more than $60 if you only need one, it could be worth less. It may be worth more but cost big bucks in headaches if the buyer doens't understand it's a community shortage stopper. and is not meant to be an original, or a reproduction in order to deceive.

After further recollection, if the odds are greater that Aliens will visit earth in my lifetime than I will find a player 2 who wants to play Atari Karts, then maybe me paying $125 for 2 controllers, and hoping to sell one for $60+ without headaches is too much for me, especially for one game.

I decided to put some of that money in tototek fight stick adapters for Genesis and SNES. That would be WAY more useful than a 2UP controller for one game.

I'm glad the Atari Jaguar community enjoys this. If the orders come down to one Jag Pro for $60 MAYBE once I'm done with my fight stick, I'll consider it. I don't need two more. I'm glad I found a Genuine Pro Pad for $20 in 2003. I shouldn't get greedy. It's just as likely that Jag-pro reproswill be less expensive than $60/stick as it would be more expensive. I'll take my chances on a coin flip.

Man what is going on? If you want to buy another controller do so, if not don't. What's the matter with the price, they are a fraction of what the going rate for a procontroller has been lately, even if you have to buy a pair.

Maybe you even find someone down the road who sells you one spare he doesn't need if two are too expensive for you.

People have been waiting for something like this for ages, considering the price went up on the originals and for many it is the preferable controller on this system. Someone stepped up and did something about it, what is there to "openly debate" about?

• Like 11

That is true. If you announce "they are not genuine Jaguar controllers", the price may go down, even thought you can couch it up by saying.... Bla bla bla

WTF IS ACTUALLY GOING ON HERE?!?!??!

DUDE!!! I understand that maybe you might be trying to sleep and the thoughts and voices won't stop coming, but you can't just be thinking out loud in a overly long PUBLIC post like that. You keep this crap up and you will break Atari Age...... Shit you might break the internet!

The controllers are for US. TO USE! To play games with! They are not meant to be a business investment. Obviously not for YOU.

Let it go.

• Like 2

Very much agree with this, thanks for saying it.

• Like 2

Do you know if the people responsible for this project have any plans to release pro CDi controllers?

Once this sale is over and I have paid myself back for the manufacturing costs I can consider another project. It has to be one with enough demand to meet the production costs.

I think something needs to be said clearly:

The intended audience for homebrew products (hardware or software) are players, those who will actually use and enjoy the stuff.

Collectors may or may not be a secondary target audience.

But speculators definitely aren't.

From experience, I can tell you that homebrew developers are definitely not sympathetic to people who make profit off reselling their work while providing no useful service.

• Like 10

Actual question here, and sorry in advance if its been asked....if we gave our email to be on the pre-order list, do we still need to place our order through the website?

I think that the website it's to pay for the controller, and they will send it in payment order. The pre-order list was to know how many controller they have to build.

Edited by swapd0
  • Like 1

The preorder list was just to make sure you were notified when the order site was ready.

I received this email about 15 minutes ago, so you should have it by now.

Yes, you have to go to the website and formally pay for it....

• Like 1