IGNORED

Brand New Atari Jaguar Pro Controllers- For Sale!

Starwander

Got my controllers yesterday and they seem great, with no issues of any kind. I used one of them to play through Trevor McFur, something I probably wouldn't have been able to do on my original 3-button controllers without pain. The B button obviously got the most workout, and stood up fine to what must have been over 10,000 presses. Having five extra buttons mapped to weapons is a heck of a lot easier to deal with than trying to fish around on the keypad. :)

So, Sk1p and myself ordered a pair each.

We got one good pad and one horrific pad each. The horror pads had virtually no response on up/left on the dpad. Zero tactile feedback. Nasty!

So, we took one apart. The dpad itself fits into its holder perfectly both ways vertically, with the flat side at the top and the bottom. The horror pads both had the flat side at the bottom. We swapped it around, and now we have 2 good pads each.

The horror pad is on the left, and is almost flat to the base. The good pad on the right is raised.

post-11520-0-08862300-1543832899_thumb.png

Easy thing for Chinese factory workers on minimum wages not to give a damn about, I guess :)

Anyway. got 2 good pads now. End result: success.

I suspect there are more like these bad ones out there and people either don't know any better or are being polite :)

Starwander: You might want to check this before shipping any more.

• Like 8

Follow up post:

I've been playing a few games tonight with the 'horror' pad that we took apart and put back together with the dpad inverted. This controller is superb - completely responsive, tactile and just overall night vs day compared to a standard pad.

If anyone has an inverted dpad on their controller - SWAP IT NOW.

Starwander knocked this out of the park (once its assembled correctly!) - I will be ordering another pair!

• Like 5

Noooo!

A rotary pro controller makes about as much sense as a car with 2 steering wheels. ;)

except that it wasn't that long ago I saw just that. Someone had turned on of these new controllers into an OPAL variant. Thought I saw it on ebay in fact.

Okay I can't find it now but I know I saw a different rotary using the Opal light up setup either in one of these new Jag pro controllers or possibly was retrofit into another controller for a different system. But having said that...Nicolas has done this...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vectrex-BUZZ-OFF-Mod-Kit-Pre-Soldered-NEW-Ver-3-Volume-Rejuvenate-Kit-Included/153260146536?hash=item23af043f68:g:9MMAAOSw~jpbRkqO:rk:1:pf:0

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

Someone's stealing my mojo...

Oh for sure it was an Opal kit taken out and installed into another controller for rotary use and I think it was actually posted on FB now that I think about it last week. Wish I could find it as I thought you might have made it.

Oh for sure it was an Opal kit taken out and installed into another controller for rotary use and I think it was actually posted on FB now that I think about it last week. Wish I could find it as I thought you might have made it.

Ah, is it that 5200 Controller?

If so, I am aware of that one :)

Ah, is it that 5200 Controller?

If so, I am aware of that one :)

Maybe it was for the 5200. Didn't think the 5200 default controller cable has the wire in place for +5 though? I found that out when I replaced the cabling in my Wico keypad sometime back. Unless you use the cable from a CX-53?

And I imagine the 5200 version required a bit larger construction?

Maybe it was for the 5200. Didn't think the 5200 default controller cable has the wire in place for +5 though? I found that out when I replaced the cabling in my Wico keypad sometime back. Unless you use the cable from a CX-53?

And I imagine the 5200 version required a bit larger construction?

Dunno, man.

I've never had a 5200. The only Atari machines I owned were the 2600, Lynx and Jag.

Have tried out one of my two pro-controllers with Trevor McFur. It works perfectly! I had no problem with bent pins (lucky me) and I thought that I might have a similar problem to cj with the dpad having very little travel but after actually playing with it for real I found that the dpad is very responsive and different from original 3 button controllers. It is smoother and less wrestling is needed. The modelling of the case is very good and I really like the chunky lead. I can recommend these controllers for everyone. Why ever use a 3 button controller again! I havn't tried out the other controller yet, nor have I tried out all the buttons and the keypad so I have my fingers crossed that all is well. Also I need to learn a bit of confidence on how hard to press the buttons.

Thank you and congratulations starwander. You should have enriched many Jaguar owners' experience and saved them a considerable amount of dollars too.

A set for each Jaguar. I grabbed a few extra consoles back in 2002 to 2004 as the prices were increasing. Glad I did, too.

I have them set up at different places minus the two backup units in storage so I'm grabbing these up in case it's a one run deal.

• Like 2

Done!

If anyone is interested in doing the same, wire the Left button to pins 7 & 8 and the Right button to pins 2 & 9. The pins are located between the two internal boards.

Obviously this makes a dedicated AVP controller to some extent. I'm sure a switch could be used to toggle between two modes though. Hopefully someone figures out a way to hack the AVP ROM to make this mod unnecessary.

That's an Awesome mod! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 1