Photo

Brand New Atari Jaguar Pro Controllers-Interest Check

155 replies to this topic

#1 MortoffGames OFFLINE  

MortoffGames

Chopper Commander

• 162 posts

Posted Wed Nov 8, 2017 12:02 PM

Update 12-03-2017: We are at 499 total controllers pre-ordered. Let's keep going folks. 

Update 11-13-2017: We are at 301 total controllers pre-ordered. Let's keep going folks. 

Overview 

I have been working with Clint Thompson here on the forums to see if it was possible to develop a brand new replica of the original Atari Jaguar Pro Controllers. I have a lot of experience in making the individual parts; however I have never remade an entire accessory before. It appears that it is possible despite its complexity. To re-make the original controller the following molds have to be made: 

1.  Atari Jaguar Pro Controller Shell Mold
    1. Re-making the exterior shell exactly the same minus the logo isn't hard. The quality should be the same as my reproduction Atari Jaguar shells can attest to
  2. D Button Mold and Red Buttons Mold
    1. Have to have two button molds since they are different colors.
  3. Silicone Membrane Mold
    1. The company I use is a top rated one that makes these for many large companies all over the world. The quality should be excellent. Obviously we want to mimic the original feel of the controllers and will try our hardest to do so there may be slight variation from the original however. 
  4. Connector Port Mold
  5. Silicone Board Mold

Challenges to this Project

• Cost: The project will cost over $30,000 to complete and as such we need to have sufficient interest to make it viable. At this time we are asking people to contact jagprocontroller@gmail.com and leave your email and full name stating your interest in the controllers so we can get a tally. Please email before December-31-2017
  • Quality: The controllers must work on the original hardware and must feel and work like the original. To this end the controllers would not be released and sold until both conditions were satisfied 

FAQ

• What would be the price?
    • $50-$60 per controller with a MOQ of 2 controllers at a time
  • Does the price include shipping?
    • In the US shipping should be $5.00 for two controllers. Outside the US a 1lb 4oz package [Each controller is 7ozs] would cost $21.14. 
  • How do I order one?
    • They are not for sale yet and trying to gauge community interest first. At this time we are asking people to contact us at jagprocontroller@gmail.com and leave your email and full name stating your interest in the controllers so we can get a tally. Please email before December-31-2017
  • How are you going to ensure quality? 
    • During the design phase once the mold is finished they send samples for approval at this time its our opportunity to refine the design until the product is correct. 
  • Are you going to ask us to pay upfront and then use the money to build the controllers and deliver at a nebulous future date like Kickstarter? 
    • Absolutely not. You don't pay until the controllers are ready to ship.  
  • Can I return the controller if I don't like it?
    • Yes you can return them however I would not sell them unless they are like the original 
  • Can you include additional features such as USB cable, rapid fire feature or joystick?
    • The goal of this project is to re-make the original as designed. If the project is very successful maybe down the road. 
  • Will it have the Atari Jaguar Logo? 
    • No it will not have the logo
  • Is this legal?
    • Absolutely legal to re-make them since the patents expired on original hardware design. This is the reason people make 1:1 clone systems of the NES/SNES and such now. 
  • How would the process work if there is enough interest?
    • Would start with making the Silicone pads to ensure they work like the original and the circuit boards and verifying everything works as described. After this would finish the remaining parts. Once in hand would collect payment and then ship out the controllers. Periodic updates would be given on progress and such. 

Edited by MortoffGames, Sun Dec 3, 2017 10:33 AM.

#2 JagChris OFFLINE  

JagChris

River Patroller

• 3,322 posts

Posted Wed Nov 8, 2017 12:37 PM

Oh yeah! 😁

#3 Nuclear Pacman OFFLINE  

Nuclear Pacman

River Patroller

• 2,579 posts

Posted Wed Nov 8, 2017 12:51 PM

Big Jag fan here, have every game and a couple of pro controllers already. Have to say not interested unless there is a rapid fire addition. No intent to disparage the project, just voicing my stance as I really have no need for this otherwise. I can't be the only Jag owner that needs a little extra oomph to make it worthwhile.

#4 Saturn ONLINE  

Saturn

River Patroller

• 3,449 posts
  • Pillar of the Jaguar Community

Posted Wed Nov 8, 2017 12:55 PM

This is great news. I have a few Pro Controllers already but count on my full support, regardless. :cool:

#5 MortoffGames OFFLINE  

MortoffGames

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 162 posts

Posted Wed Nov 8, 2017 12:56 PM

Big Jag fan here, have every game and a couple of pro controllers already. Have to say not interested unless there is a rapid fire addition. No intent to disparage the project, just voicing my stance as I really have no need for this otherwise. I can't be the only Jag owner that needs a little extra oomph to make it worthwhile.

I totally appreciate it, please anyone should be free to voice their opinion for or against the project. The project as it stands already has significant hurdles due to the cost. Adding in additional features would not only require additional costs however it would drastically increase the complexity of this project therefore making it that much more difficult to get going. 

Edited by MortoffGames, Wed Nov 8, 2017 1:00 PM.

#6 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 2,883 posts

Posted Wed Nov 8, 2017 1:07 PM

The Pro controller is all I use even on the Falcon.... I wished the rotary controller was built in to the pro controller however, I really don't like having to swap out for t2k etc.. :) that would give these the edge!

#7 Welshworrier OFFLINE  

Welshworrier

Chopper Commander

• 194 posts

Posted Wed Nov 8, 2017 1:18 PM

The problem is going to be the maths aren't in your favour. :(

If its going to cost 30000 plus to produce then the unit cost of 50 to 60 dollars means you are going to have to sell 500 to 600 plus controllers just to cover the cost. This is into a very limited market.

#8 lachoneus ONLINE  

lachoneus

Chopper Commander

• 192 posts

Posted Wed Nov 8, 2017 1:30 PM

I have a few pro controllers already.  But the opportunity to get them replaced or help others to have the opportunity to play a Jag with better controllers than the standard ones, with out having to shell out $200 - $500 for that experience, deserves support.  Current prices really are extreme right now, it was only a few years ago I got one for under $100, on Ebay.  I find it hard to believe that the demand/rarity has increased that much in such a short time.  But if there is really a demand that justifies the sudden price increase of pro-controllers on Ebay, hopefully that demand will support the effort to make new ones at a reasonable price.

#9 Clint Thompson OFFLINE  

Clint Thompson

River Patroller

• 4,186 posts
  • Kiss Reality Goodbye.

Posted Wed Nov 8, 2017 1:34 PM

If its going to cost 30000 plus to produce then the unit cost of 50 to 60 dollars means you are going to have to sell 500 to 600 plus controllers just to cover the cost. This is into a very limited market.

This is why there is a 2-controller requirement per person - individually it probably wouldn't make it. At least with this model, there's a chance. There are other resellers to also consider in potentially carrying stock to sell later but the initial interest needs to be from the primary Jaguar community.

#10 MortoffGames OFFLINE  

MortoffGames

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 162 posts

Posted Wed Nov 8, 2017 1:36 PM

Very astute indeed; hence the reason to poll the community to see if it is possible. 

Edited by MortoffGames, Wed Nov 8, 2017 1:37 PM.

#11 JagChris OFFLINE  

JagChris

River Patroller

• 3,322 posts

Posted Wed Nov 8, 2017 1:39 PM

Falcon users will also like out. Not a big group but it helps

#12 Dan Iacovelli OFFLINE  

Dan Iacovelli

Quadrunner

• 5,932 posts

Posted Wed Nov 8, 2017 2:12 PM

might be interested

#13 Mitch ONLINE  

Mitch

Quadrunner

• 6,499 posts
  • 7800 Guy

Posted Wed Nov 8, 2017 3:39 PM

Are you going to make alternate colors available? Like gray and blue? Just curious.

Mitch

#14 SuperDork3000 OFFLINE  

SuperDork3000

Dragonstomper

• 834 posts

Posted Wed Nov 8, 2017 3:49 PM

I'm interested, as long as it isn't a cheap POS. I would also pay more for buttons with LED's.. The quality has to be either the same or better for me to jump on this.

#15 MortoffGames OFFLINE  

MortoffGames

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 162 posts

Posted Wed Nov 8, 2017 3:55 PM

Are you going to make alternate colors available? Like gray and blue? Just curious.

Mitch

If there was massive demand then yes that could happen however for this initial run only black will be available 

Edited by MortoffGames, Wed Nov 8, 2017 3:55 PM.

#16 MortoffGames OFFLINE  

MortoffGames

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 162 posts

Posted Wed Nov 8, 2017 3:55 PM

I'm interested, as long as it isn't a cheap POS. I would also pay more for buttons with LED's.. The quality has to be either the same or better for me to jump on this.

I agree its got to be good or not at all

#17 PeterG OFFLINE  

PeterG

Dragonstomper

• 803 posts

Posted Wed Nov 8, 2017 4:53 PM

When I first read the sum of 30 000 I thought it will never happen, but actually selling 250 pairs doesn't seem so far out there. I really hope that enough people sign up for this. Just the weekend on Jagfest we were talking that someone should make new Pro controllers. As if we've been heard.:)

#18 doctor_shred OFFLINE  

doctor_shred

Star Raider

• 64 posts

Posted Wed Nov 8, 2017 5:07 PM

If they are up to the standard of the original count me in.  I intend to be playing my Jag for decades to come and having worn out several standard controllers already I welcome this development.

Good luck with the project!

#19 Flojomojo ONLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• 10,502 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Wed Nov 8, 2017 5:11 PM

I don't care about the Jaguar anymore, but if there were an adapter to use this on a PC, I might be interested. I'd also be open to something that's less authentic (though not a "cheap POS") rather than strictly authentic-feeling if it would get the manufacturing cost down. 

It's probably best to consider this a feature request rather than a show of interest, since I'm not the main target for this. But if expanding the target to include people like me would increase your chances of success, please consider. 

#20 racerx OFFLINE  

racerx

Dragonstomper

• 925 posts

Posted Wed Nov 8, 2017 6:05 PM

I'd be in for another pair, but I don't see the numbers crunching on this.

#21 MortoffGames OFFLINE  

MortoffGames

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 162 posts

Posted Wed Nov 8, 2017 6:41 PM

I'd be in for another pair, but I don't see the numbers crunching on this.

We have to get about 250-300 people to buy two sets to make this work.

Edited by MortoffGames, Wed Nov 8, 2017 6:41 PM.

#22 TrekMD OFFLINE  

TrekMD

River Patroller

• 3,340 posts

Posted Wed Nov 8, 2017 7:37 PM

Oh, I'm in!

#23 Sector7e OFFLINE  

Sector7e

Space Invader

• 13 posts

Posted Wed Nov 8, 2017 7:46 PM

Sign me up for at least one set.

#24 Machine OFFLINE  

Machine

Moonsweeper

• 368 posts

Posted Wed Nov 8, 2017 7:48 PM

Count me in. I can see the demand, they are selling at $150-200 a pop on ebay and they seem to be moving....

If they are equal to the originals in quality, they will have no problem selling.

#25 madman ONLINE  

madman

River Patroller

• 2,495 posts

Posted Wed Nov 8, 2017 7:51 PM

Have you tried contacting some of the larger retro gaming retailers? Perhaps Best, B&C, Goat Store, etc would be interested although there isn't much meat on the bone for them. Also based on how these move on EBay I'm sure you could move plenty of them over time there. 

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users