Update 12-03-2017: We are at 499 total controllers pre-ordered. Let's keep going folks.
Update 11-13-2017: We are at 301 total controllers pre-ordered. Let's keep going folks.
I have been working with Clint Thompson here on the forums to see if it was possible to develop a brand new replica of the original Atari Jaguar Pro Controllers. I have a lot of experience in making the individual parts; however I have never remade an entire accessory before. It appears that it is possible despite its complexity. To re-make the original controller the following molds have to be made:
- Atari Jaguar Pro Controller Shell Mold
- Re-making the exterior shell exactly the same minus the logo isn't hard. The quality should be the same as my reproduction Atari Jaguar shells can attest to
- D Button Mold and Red Buttons Mold
- Have to have two button molds since they are different colors.
- Silicone Membrane Mold
- The company I use is a top rated one that makes these for many large companies all over the world. The quality should be excellent. Obviously we want to mimic the original feel of the controllers and will try our hardest to do so there may be slight variation from the original however.
- Connector Port Mold
- Silicone Board Mold
Challenges to this Project
- Cost: The project will cost over $30,000 to complete and as such we need to have sufficient interest to make it viable. At this time we are asking people to contact email@example.com and leave your email and full name stating your interest in the controllers so we can get a tally. Please email before December-31-2017
- Quality: The controllers must work on the original hardware and must feel and work like the original. To this end the controllers would not be released and sold until both conditions were satisfied
- What would be the price?
- $50-$60 per controller with a MOQ of 2 controllers at a time
- Does the price include shipping?
- In the US shipping should be $5.00 for two controllers. Outside the US a 1lb 4oz package [Each controller is 7ozs] would cost $21.14.
- How do I order one?
- They are not for sale yet and trying to gauge community interest first. At this time we are asking people to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and leave your email and full name stating your interest in the controllers so we can get a tally. Please email before December-31-2017
- How are you going to ensure quality?
- During the design phase once the mold is finished they send samples for approval at this time its our opportunity to refine the design until the product is correct.
- Are you going to ask us to pay upfront and then use the money to build the controllers and deliver at a nebulous future date like Kickstarter?
- Absolutely not. You don't pay until the controllers are ready to ship.
- Can I return the controller if I don't like it?
- Yes you can return them however I would not sell them unless they are like the original
- Can you include additional features such as USB cable, rapid fire feature or joystick?
- The goal of this project is to re-make the original as designed. If the project is very successful maybe down the road.
- Will it have the Atari Jaguar Logo?
- No it will not have the logo
- Is this legal?
- Absolutely legal to re-make them since the patents expired on original hardware design. This is the reason people make 1:1 clone systems of the NES/SNES and such now.
- How would the process work if there is enough interest?
- Would start with making the Silicone pads to ensure they work like the original and the circuit boards and verifying everything works as described. After this would finish the remaining parts. Once in hand would collect payment and then ship out the controllers. Periodic updates would be given on progress and such.
Edited by MortoffGames, Sun Dec 3, 2017 10:33 AM.