Sorry for the slow updates. Manufacturing of the prototype parts was slowed down due to the Holidays. The sample PCB board is on its way which in my opinion is the most critical part to prove that the original PCB can be remade and work with the system. The demo video the factory sent me showed it working perfectly and as soon as I get it I will see if I can set up a demo video of it in action.
We Did It!
Update 12-21-2017 We are at 632 controllers ordered and have meet the goal number for funding purposes. I am starting discussions with the various parts suppliers to start work on the project and will put the down payment on everything. I will update you all about the progress as it becomes available. They will be sending me a demo prototype controller of the final product to show off. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and number of controllers interested in. MOQ of 2 controllers
Update 12-20-2017: Alright folks we are nearing the end of the pre-order thread here. If anyone else was interested in jumping in now is the time.
Update 12-03-2017: We are at 499 total controllers pre-ordered. Let's keep going folks.
Update 11-13-2017: We are at 301 total controllers pre-ordered. Let's keep going folks.
I have been working with Clint Thompson here on the forums to see if it was possible to develop a brand new replica of the original Atari Jaguar Pro Controllers. I have a lot of experience in making the individual parts; however I have never remade an entire accessory before. It appears that it is possible despite its complexity. To re-make the original controller the following molds have to be made:
- Atari Jaguar Pro Controller Shell Mold
- Re-making the exterior shell exactly the same minus the logo isn't hard. The quality should be the same as my reproduction Atari Jaguar shells can attest to
- D Button Mold and Red Buttons Mold
- Have to have two button molds since they are different colors.
- Silicone Membrane Mold
- The company I use is a top rated one that makes these for many large companies all over the world. The quality should be excellent. Obviously we want to mimic the original feel of the controllers and will try our hardest to do so there may be slight variation from the original however.
- Connector Port Mold
- Silicone Board Mold
Challenges to this Project
- Cost: The project will cost over $30,000 to complete and as such we need to have sufficient interest to make it viable which we have met. If you are interested in purchasing one please reserve one by emailing email@example.com and leave your email and full name stating your interest in the controllers so we can get a tally.
- Quality: The controllers must work on the original hardware and must feel and work like the original. To this end the controllers would not be released and sold until both conditions were satisfied
- What system do these work with?
- Naively will work with the Atari Jaguar, Atari ST2, Atari Falcon. With an adapter it will work on the Atari 2600, Atari 8-Bit, Atari ST, Atari 5200 and PC systems. I am working on expanding the available adapters for these for other systems as well.
- What would be the price?
- $60 per controller with a MOQ of 2 controllers at a time
- Does the price include shipping?
- In the US shipping should be $5.00 for two controllers. Outside the US a 1lb 4oz package [Each controller is 7ozs] would cost $21.14.
- How do I order one?
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- How are you going to ensure quality?
- During the design phase once the mold is finished they send samples for approval at this time its our opportunity to refine the design until the product is correct.
- Are you going to ask us to pay upfront and then use the money to build the controllers and deliver at a nebulous future date like Kickstarter?
- Absolutely not. You don't pay until the controllers are ready to ship.
- Can I return the controller if I don't like it?
- Yes you can return them however I would not sell them unless they are like the original
- Can you include additional features such as USB cable, rapid fire feature or joystick?
- The goal of this project is to re-make the original as designed. If the project is very successful maybe down the road. If you are interested in offering an add-on or modification service for people buying these controllers I fully support and endorse it.
- Will it have the Atari Jaguar Logo?
- No it will not have the logo
- Is this legal?
- Absolutely legal to re-make them since the patents expired on original hardware design. This is the reason people make 1:1 clone systems of the NES/SNES and such now.
Edited by MortoffGames, Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:17 PM.