Since these are getting a lot closer I wanted to make sure that I have everyone down that is interested. If you sent an email previously please send one to me personal email address as well Starwander@Comcast.net just so I can make sure you are on the list. Once they arrive I will start sending out emails to everyone on the list. Yes everyone that send me an email will get a reply thanking them and acknowledging receipt.
The controller shells are nearly finished. These are the prototypes off the new mold.They need some refining and the final samples will not have the Atari logo on them. We are getting so close now! Another great piece of news is the controllers will be assembled by the same factory that made the original Sega Genesis controllers for Sega! Also for those interested in understanding the name change I sold Mortoff Games about a month ago in order to free up time for other projects like this one.
The small button mold is finished and pictures have been posted. Things are moving along at a clipper pace now. The boxes are being made as well and will be included free of charge.
The silicone buttons are done and they sent pictures of the first samples of the production press. I have attached them to the post.
There were some recommendations about having a box that growled like a Jaguar when you open it. Since we have time I went ahead and actually discussed with the box company if such a think could be done and it indeed could! The cost wouldn't be cheap however and despite how exciting it might be unsure if the cost would be worth it.
I thought I would post another update. Things are progressing well; however slowly. The biggest part of the project is nearly done the molds for the buttons and controller shells and should be posting pictures of these shortly. The conductive pads, circuit board and controller cable are still plugging along. As soon as I get the samples for the controller shells and buttons will have post pictures for everyone. One thing I was brewing over is if I should have a box for the controller or just sell them without a box. Haven't decided yet. Thank you for your patience.
The Chinese Holiday totally destroyed my time table as I had hoped to have these for JagFest however not going to happen now. The molds have been delayed and as such we are looking for another month to get the molds finished. If anyone has any questions happy to answer them. I am sorry for the delay.
Sorry for the slow updates however things have been hectic. I have been working on getting the Atari 2600 and 5200 shells released and it has been challenging. The Atari 2600 shells should be shipping next week if anyone needs brand new shells for home brews and such. The Atari 5200 shells need more work still. For the Jaguar controllers they are moving along nicely. The prototype PCB board came in; however they duplicated the original non-pro controller! Regardless that is an easy fix and they are making the correct boards right now. Hopefully can post a video shortly of the prototype board working in an original controller. Can't wait to get these out and should have more news about ETA in the coming days. Thank you for your patience.
Sorry for the slow updates. Manufacturing of the prototype parts was slowed down due to the Holidays. The sample PCB board is on its way which in my opinion is the most critical part to prove that the original PCB can be remade and work with the system. The demo video the factory sent me showed it working perfectly and as soon as I get it I will see if I can set up a demo video of it in action.
We Did It!
Update 12-21-2017 We are at 632 controllers ordered and have meet the goal number for funding purposes. I am starting discussions with the various parts suppliers to start work on the project and will put the down payment on everything. I will update you all about the progress as it becomes available. They will be sending me a demo prototype controller of the final product to show off. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and number of controllers interested in. MOQ of 2 controllers
Update 12-20-2017: Alright folks we are nearing the end of the pre-order thread here. If anyone else was interested in jumping in now is the time.
Update 12-03-2017: We are at 499 total controllers pre-ordered. Let's keep going folks.
Update 11-13-2017: We are at 301 total controllers pre-ordered. Let's keep going folks.
I have been working with Clint Thompson here on the forums to see if it was possible to develop a brand new replica of the original Atari Jaguar Pro Controllers. I have a lot of experience in making the individual parts; however I have never remade an entire accessory before. It appears that it is possible despite its complexity. To re-make the original controller the following molds have to be made:
- Atari Jaguar Pro Controller Shell Mold
- Re-making the exterior shell exactly the same minus the logo isn't hard. The quality should be the same as my reproduction Atari Jaguar shells can attest to
- D Button Mold and Red Buttons Mold
- Have to have two button molds since they are different colors.
- Silicone Membrane Mold
- The company I use is a top rated one that makes these for many large companies all over the world. The quality should be excellent. Obviously we want to mimic the original feel of the controllers and will try our hardest to do so there may be slight variation from the original however.
- Connector Port Mold
- Silicone Board Mold
Challenges to this Project
- Cost: The project will cost over $30,000 to complete and as such we need to have sufficient interest to make it viable which we have met. If you are interested in purchasing one please reserve one by emailing Starwander@Comcast.net and leave your email and full name stating your interest in the controllers so we can get a tally.
- Quality: The controllers must work on the original hardware and must feel and work like the original. To this end the controllers would not be released and sold until both conditions were satisfied
- What system do these work with?
- Naively will work with the Atari Jaguar, Atari ST2, Atari Falcon. With an adapter it will work on the Atari 2600, Atari 8-Bit, Atari ST, Atari 5200 and PC systems. I am working on expanding the available adapters for these for other systems as well.
- What would be the price?
- $60 per controller with a MOQ of 2 controllers at a time
- Does the price include shipping?
- In the US shipping should be $5.00 for two controllers. Outside the US a 1lb 4oz package [Each controller is 7ozs] would cost $21.14.
- How do I order one?
- Email email@example.com
- How are you going to ensure quality?
- During the design phase once the mold is finished they send samples for approval at this time its our opportunity to refine the design until the product is correct.
- Are you going to ask us to pay upfront and then use the money to build the controllers and deliver at a nebulous future date like Kickstarter?
- Absolutely not. You don't pay until the controllers are ready to ship.
- Can I return the controller if I don't like it?
- Yes you can return them however I would not sell them unless they are like the original
- Can you include additional features such as USB cable, rapid fire feature or joystick?
- The goal of this project is to re-make the original as designed. If the project is very successful maybe down the road. If you are interested in offering an add-on or modification service for people buying these controllers I fully support and endorse it.
- Will it have the Atari Jaguar Logo?
- No it will not have the logo
- Is this legal?
- Absolutely legal to re-make them since the patents expired on original hardware design. This is the reason people make 1:1 clone systems of the NES/SNES and such now.
Edited by Starwander, Wed Jun 6, 2018 10:39 AM.