IGNORED

Brand New Atari Jaguar Pro Controllers- For Sale!

Starwander

Curious to ask...did anyone contact "Atari" to ask how much it would actually cost to use their logo? Did anyone offer to buy Fred lunch at Taco Bell to make it happen?

Based upon how cool - definitely compared to the likes of "Coleco" and Ninjaendo - they've been with AtariAge projects, they might wave standard licensing fees. Might.

After the project completes successfully, will 3D scans be uploaded here, or, say Thingiverse? Enthusiast 3D Printing probably won't deliver the same durability from today's printers, but who knows in a few more years...

No I did not contact Atari about a licensing arrangement and while theoretically it would be a great idea the down side is it would increase the overall cost of the project therefore decreasing the likelihood of it happening. The CAD model will not be released if the project moves forward.

Any pictures of anything yet? That ought to generate a little more interest.

Unfortunately not as they are not made yet. This is an attempt to see if sufficient interest exists to green light the project. If you would like to see the projected quality look at the Atari Jaguar shells I make. They are 1:1 replicas.

Just saw this after dropping by the front page of AtariAge. I haven't seen any mention of this idea in this thread yet, so I'll suggest it now: How about multiple variations of this controller? Jaguar first, then ColecoVision, then USB, and just for kicks, you could make a variation with Super-NES connectors, and release it for the Analogue Super NT (should be a great controller for it once it's officially jailbroken).

The real problem with a controller like this is the high cost of the plastic enclosure of the controller. The rest is just custom electronics which is not too bad in today's custom DIY world, and some extra plastic/rubber/foam parts (for the D-pad and buttons). With multiple variations, you'll sell tons of these and easily recoup the invested money.

I'd buy one or two of these for my ColecoVision, and the Super NT too eventually. :)

Actually as hard it is to believe the largest expense is re-making the rubber conductive pads. The mold is expensive, the per piece price is high and the MOQ is high. Its a rather complex part so I understand however.

• Like 1

Several people have posted about this project in the various Atari/Retro gaming groups on Facebook so the fans who don't frequent AtariAge proper should be aware of this.

If more of the ST/STe games were patched to support the Enhanced Joystick Ports, there'd be even more demand for these. Same goes for a cable adapter to get the controllers to work with the 5200. It would be pure joy to use JagPads/Jag Pro Controllers on the 5200 for the games that do not exclusively require analog joystick/Trak-Ball support.

I agree both would be ideal.

• Like 1

No I did not contact Atari about a licensing arrangement and while theoretically it would be a great idea the down side is it would increase the overall cost of the project therefore decreasing the likelihood of it happening.

Not worth it, in my opinion. Just put a Jaguar logo on the controller in place of an Atari logo; independent game publishers have been using the Jaguar logo on their products for years with no issues.

Another option you might consider (as others have mentioned) is producing different internal electronics so that different versions of the controllers can be made for different systems. Compared to the tooling costs, the PCB and components are relatively cheap. There should at least be a native USB board so it can be used as a controller for PCs and USB-compatible consoles.

• Like 3

Not worth it, in my opinion. Just put a Jaguar logo on the controller in place of an Atari logo; independent game publishers have been using the Jaguar logo on their products for years with no issues.

Another option you might consider (as others have mentioned) is producing different internal electronics so that different versions of the controllers can be made for different systems. Compared to the tooling costs, the PCB and components are relatively cheap. There should at least be a native USB board so it can be used as a controller for PCs and USB-compatible consoles.

Its not an unreasonable recommendation as you are correct the precedent has already been set. One could argue either way however at this time I didn't plan to put the logo on the controller cases. New custom electronics is possible and might be best for the second market if this project moves forward. Right now the design and development cost would significantly impact the upfront costs

• Like 1

Another option you might consider (as others have mentioned) is producing different internal electronics so that different versions of the controllers can be made for different systems.

There are few systems which use so many buttons, and the Jaguar pad is often mocked for its ergonomics (quite often by people who've never actually held one in their hands, but still, it's not good publicity).

• Like 1

There are few systems which use so many buttons, and the Jaguar pad is often mocked for its ergonomics (quite often by people who've never actually held one in their hands, but still, it's not good publicity).

Yes, but the Pro Controller is often touted (at least within the community) as a great improvement. Imagine if it was compatible on a PC with all of those buttons--keypad buttons for save states in an emulator for instance, or shortcuts to graphical filter settings. It would also be a great solution for Colecovision or Intellivision emulation given the numeric keypad requirements on those. Anyway, that's just a few of the uses a pad like this could have.

• Like 2

Yes, but the Pro Controller is often touted (at least within the community) as a great improvement. Imagine if it was compatible on a PC with all of those buttons--keypad buttons for save states in an emulator for instance, or shortcuts to graphical filter settings. It would also be a great solution for Colecovision or Intellivision emulation given the numeric keypad requirements on those. Anyway, that's just a few of the uses a pad like this could have.

Not to mention Jaguar Emulation :)

• Like 4

I don't care about the Jaguar anymore, but if there were an adapter to use this on a PC, I might be interested. I'd also be open to something that's less authentic (though not a "cheap POS") rather than strictly authentic-feeling if it would get the manufacturing cost down.

It's probably best to consider this a feature request rather than a show of interest, since I'm not the main target for this. But if expanding the target to include people like me would increase your chances of success, please consider.

http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/jaguar2usb_adapter/index.php

in case you changed your mind :-D

Update 12-03-2017: We are at 499 total controllers pre-ordered. Let's keep going folks.

Update 11-13-2017: We are at 301 total controllers pre-ordered. Let's keep going folks.

I think there would be a lot of interest in putting a ColecoVision pcb into one of these, if you want to add customers for a similar item. You might even work with Edladdin and his new series of ColecoVision arcade sticks. It's basically like the Xbox 360/One controllers with the typewriter add on ergonomically. Short of a Rumblepad to CV hack, this is about the best form factor available for the ColecoVision.

Interested as well. I got a controller adapter that lets me use Jaguar controller on Colecovision. The 6 button could allow me to use Super Action buttons.

Pics or website address? If the adapter is available, we could advertise this project in the ColecoVision groups, not only here but on Facebook. Some of them there have thousands of members.

Hell, if that stupid cable adapter Best Electronics sold actually supported 2 fire button action on the 7800 - instead of just the 2600's single button - we could get the 7800 community in on it too. Now that there's a Jaguar-to-5200 Adapter, we can get the 5200 folks in.

Edited by Lynxpro

I'd be interested. Keep in mind there are several other systems with keypads built into their controllers and all have woeful controllers... Atari 5200, Colecovision, Intellivision II. Might be smart to expand the horizons a bit and offer version for these consoles as well.