IGNORED

RF Cables (Internal)

The Green Meanie

Apologies if this has been posted before, I did a search and didn't see anything related to my question.

I have a question about internal RF cables, specifically relating to the 2600, and for non-Jr. models. I've tried searching for a replacement cable for the internal one, and I've found some good candidates to use, however even through their length and durability are ideal, they don't work as the internal post is too long and does not fit correctly into the main circuit board. It appears that Best Electronics is sold out of two different versions of the cable. I've looked at Ebay, and every once in a while someone will post one or two, but at a rather high price. The long posted cables are plentiful, and affordable, but don't work for this situation. Does anyone know of another source for this specific type of cable?

This is cheap and I've never tried this one so I cannot attest to the quality of this but

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Atari-2600-7800-Amiga-CD-32-Amstrad-RF-TV-Cable-Aerial-Lead/182648140131?hash=item2a86ad7163:g:vZsAAMXQuTNTNA08

Thats for a pal unit.

Something like this one with a rca to coax adapter:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Leviton-Black-6-AV-Audio-Video-Cable-GOLD-Plated-75-ohm-RCA-Plugs-C5852-6GO/391902371657?epid=1301595648&hash=item5b3f339f49:g:9zYAAOSwextZ2YdY:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!55044!US!-1

Is that something that can just be easily soldered out and replaced?

Yep, Thats the part # I use to replace cruddy old ones. Even with out the right angle jack, there is just enough room to run a strait end and still have the cover fit.

Out of curiosity, how much are oem style cables going for? I couldn't find any that looked like they came out of an Atari.

Thats for a pal unit.

Something like this one with a rca to coax adapter:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Leviton-Black-6-AV-Audio-Video-Cable-GOLD-Plated-75-ohm-RCA-Plugs-C5852-6GO/391902371657?epid=1301595648&hash=item5b3f339f49:g:9zYAAOSwextZ2YdY:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!55044!US!-1

Yep, Thats the part # I use to replace cruddy old ones. Even with out the right angle jack, there is just enough room to run a strait end and still have the cover fit.

Out of curiosity, how much are oem style cables going for? I couldn't find any that looked like they came out of an Atari.

Last time I saw some posted on Ebay they were in the $15-20 area. The cables being sold looked to be in the same condition as the ones I already have though.

Yeah I see now where the one end is wider I didn't notice first time I looked, my bad.

No problem! I should have looked at the plugs before I bought so many of the other types, haha.

It isn't elegant by any means, but you could also just cut the center post itself on one end to allow it to fit. Now doing this will crush the center flat a bit because they are usually hollow, so you would need to 'reform' it with some pliers..etc. But..it is an option. And since it would be inside the console, it would be seen anyway.

Another option that is more work, would be to simply remove the internal RCA mount, cut the end of your RF cable and just solder the wires directly to the points needed where the internal RCA jack was. Or...better yet, solder them on the backside so you can leave the RCA in place. Again, that isn't something that would normally need to be removed once in place, so soldering it in, knot it some where for strain relief and call it good for the time being?

• 1 month later...

It isn't elegant by any means, but you could also just cut the center post itself on one end to allow it to fit. Now doing this will crush the center flat a bit because they are usually hollow, so you would need to 'reform' it with some pliers..etc. But..it is an option. And since it would be inside the console, it would be seen anyway.

When I cut the tip off, I'll put a little bead of solder. If you do it right, the tip looks the same as new.

• Like 1

When I cut the tip off, I'll put a little bead of solder. If you do it right, the tip looks the same as new.

That is a good idea. But the main issue I have with cutting most of those center posts, is like I mentioned....them being hollow. When you cut it, they usually deform and flatten a bit when doing this. So reforming it can be a pain in the arse afterwards. That is why I find it quicker to just cut the connection off one end of the cable and solder the wiring onto the back of the RF jack. Again the cable wasn't really removable before since it always stays attached inside, and it would make a better connection doing this. If you do need to remove it, just desolder the wiring off the jack.

Yea, the new connectors are made really cheaply.

Break very easily.

So much so, I don't even bother with the cheap ends.

I found with the cheap stuff, the money saved is then lost with the time and frustration from using them.

I was looking into this other day, because my RF cable isn't in very good shape either. I found some options on Amazon I was considering to try. I'm not sure how long the original RF cable is, but it looked about 10 feet. I was eyeballing this 15 foot long cable and a few others.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D5H8GYG/

If you look at the post of that cable, it's split down the middle. It doesn't look like it has an internal wire soldered to the tip. I was thinking of grinding it down, but there is a new problem. The length of the handle will not fit inside the space of my Atari. It's a 2600A. There are more cable brands with split posts, but they have long handles too.

The cable handle not fitting inside the case seems to be a worse problem than the length of the post, so I got to thinking about elbow adapters and connecting the wire sideways. I was trying to find an elbow connector that has a similar split post, so I could grind that down, but I haven't found one yet.

Elbow connectors:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y5VH2R3/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OYD2MOG/

I have to take some measurements to see if they would fit within the space between the motherboard and top of the case though. Still looking around for other options.

Edited by azure
  • Like 1