IGNORED

DOOM

Rick Dangerous

My order has shipped and I'll get it tomorrow!

I had played the demo on PS4 and was very impressed even though that's not my kind of game, mainly because it was one of the very few PS4 games I saw running at 60 fps and looking that good at the same time. Somehow I found it more impressive than Uncharted 4 for example! Of course I could get the game cheaper for PS4, but my Switch and my 3DS are my primary game systems - I just bought a PS4 because my PC couldn't handle recent games anymore (XCOM 2 was a nightmare, even though it doesn't run that much better on PS4). When I was told that the game was only running at 30 fps on Switch, I was a little disappointed at first since it was the main selling point for me, but it seems that it is quite impressive nontheless. :)

Based on what I've read, this is not an ideal game on the Switch, although it looks like they did a great job with the port. I can live with the reduced visuals, but I'm skeptical the controls when portable will hold up based on the info that's out there. Skyrim on the other hand - assuming the reviews hold - looks like a solid purchase, since pinpoint controls are not really as much of an issue.

• Like 1

I ordered from Amazon too and I just checked the status and it shows it's coming tomorrow. It might change for you if you have Prime.

I do have prime and now I'm really pissed off. Now as of a few hours ago it's not the 14th but the 17th. I have also Skyrim ordered which had an original date of the 17th. I called them and got one of those fake repeat the sympathetic comment phone trolls who decided to argue with me about it. When I put the order in was 2 days before Mario and Luigi 3DS appeared and put all 3 on that ticket. That time it said delivery date was the 10th. Doom for some reason on Amazon due to some press bs slipped momentarily to a January date, then back to December, then to Nov 10 again. Now they're telling me their computer says 14th but could be before, and the public side I can see says the 17th.

I didn't sign up to that game to get lied to and taken for a week long ride. I could have very well just joined the best buy gamers club and got the same damn discount and also earned coupons to get more off on stuff. I threatened them to cancel prime and use that program and then she sounds slightly concerned and said she'd put a note into the system to look into it.

I'll see it on the 14th or the 17th if they're lying to save on shipping and send both at once. I hope I'm wrong and I have a nice surprise tomorrow but you know how that goes -- shit in one hand, hope in the other, see which fills up first.

Oh and DOOM 1&2 GBA portable were not the last exactly as they got licensed legit Android and iOS releases. Of course that's touch control baggage or lugging a bluetooth controller with you.

Edited by Tanooki

Got my copy at lunch today at the local Lame Stop, and was reading the back.. 10 GIG download before you can even play it.

So even if you have the 128GB micro SD, which I do, thats what, maybe 10-12 AAA titles before the thing is stuffed full?

Great....I still think Big N is going to have some memory problems with the Switch. Hope they are investing in SD card research...lol

Seems asinine to force a download if you don't want multiplayer. I won't be getting it. I'm giving amazon crap on the phone right now about it. They better do something to make it right. I can't just cancel it because if I do then I'll pay 20% more for it at retail down the street which is crap.

I'm on hold, and I told them I'd like to cancel but they have me stuck as I'd be losing the discount I was promised. I know they're not that nice, but give me the full value as a credit and I'll go pick it up. That would be ideal yet also unreasonable on their end.

I can see storage now being a problem on switch if they force dumb updates like that when you don't even want the content. I had a spare 64GB card I had pulled from my tablet since I wasn't using the space and put a smaller 32 in that. I've tripled the size of what my system can do so I got a little room but it still blows.

Edited by Tanooki

Still updating two hours later.....yeah no fun. In the meantime!

Cool pic. Right before I saw your post I was thinking about how sad it was that we only have three consoles now. The good old days of several platforms are long gone unfortunately.

As for the game on Switch.....its decent. Runs pretty good for something that uses a hand full of watts. Going from Ultra on PC to this is definitely rough though. It's hit or miss on the textures and it looks like a pretty low resolution. It looks closer to DOOM 3.

I'm good with it coming down between Doom 3 and its level on PC, it is a handheld after all.

That Doom pic has me beat. I have some of the games though I've held onto quite awhile and others I found more recent than not. I've got the Doom Collector's Edition(PC-CD) which has Ultimate Doom, D2, and Final on it. Then there's Doom 3+addon for PCCD and also that BFG release on Android and Doom2016 on Steam. Console/handheld side there's Doom SNES, Doom64, Doom GBA and Doom 2 GBA too. Up until lame apple forced 64bit mode had that on iOS too and now it's a dead icon along with Wolfenstein which sucks.

Using the Doom engine was also Heretic and I miss that game as it was pretty solid.

Believe it or not Doom really can be hell on earth.

Oddly it showed up today. I guess me getting on Amazon angry yesterday made some impact as it didn't arrive on the 14th. But it wouldn't be Doom without throwing demons. I still haven't played it.

I get it in there, and let it take over 90min to install to then come back and find a corrupt data message. It then takes over an hour to discover what was obvious, the download was junk. Then it takes yet again another 90min to download the game and again it fails with an error code that basically means it couldn't get the data off the eshop storage and put it on my device.

Long story short, trouble shooted it, then called NOA who did the same stuff I was thinking. I removed my micro SD card and a third download finally works.

My pos Lexas 300x 64GB card was crapping out not liking larger file downloads. That is the 2nd replacement of that same card from that peon company in a year. The last 2 failed in my Switch cousin the Shield tablet where it would slowly not want to stay connected and I'd have to pull it in/out a few times and eventually would just lock it out entirely. Lexar makes garbage and the last time I got the card they said they just got out of public memory card sales and after my replacement that was it, warranties, sales, done. Screw them.

Just ordered a 128GB Samsun Evo Select U3 Class 10 card with my $10 amazon credit and a nice sale for $37. It'll be here tomorrow.

I think on a fresh install it wouldn't have the server to poll it for the update. Maybe someone here will think to turn off the network ability of Switch before popping the game in. It tries to start, but it checks online and sees the upgrade/patch and stops you.

Frustrating is very much the case. I was going to play in handheld mode but ran the battery down 90% of the charge so I just plugged it into the TV and ran through the opener and the first full stage too. It's late and I'm stuck at home kind of tomorrow with some work being done so I can fire it up again later. I think I'll just leave Doom where it is, but future games will land on that memory card. If it didn't take so long to download though I'd move it.

Edited by Tanooki

Based on what I've read, this is not an ideal game on the Switch, although it looks like they did a great job with the port. I can live with the reduced visuals, but I'm skeptical the controls when portable will hold up based on the info that's out there. Skyrim on the other hand - assuming the reviews hold - looks like a solid purchase, since pinpoint controls are not really as much of an issue.

Believe it or not I prefer the controls in handheld mode. I found it much easier to hit enemies. Probably because of the smaller and tighter joycon sticks. I ran into the same issue with the RC car racing in Mario Odyysey. I consistently got lower lap times in handheld mode because the controls are so much tighter.

I'm going to first say - you're welcome. I knew they did those updates that way as it's an instant 1sec~ or less check to see if it's online and patchable, by blocking you have instant play like you should on a game like that.

And second -- I've got it on Steam, had it since it more or less came out but about 2 mo ago I had to reinstall it after some PC issues and played the run up until you get the comms tower back online and stopped because of this. Last night I ran it 1/2 that way I think up until you get the open outdoor area, then to the door with the welcome to the UAC hologram dude and the touch panel to end the stage. I had playing on the same (I'll admit it, on easy as I'm not comfortable with frantic fast FPS games like they turned DOOM into) difficulty did it on the Switch and the controller felt more comfortable to me which was a shock. I took less damage and could control it more fluidly and tightly using the default settings vs a mouse/keyboard which is more clunky especially when you get into secondary functions that are vital like the chainsaw for ammo dumps. The game was made with the console in mind but also was co-developed on PC, so I can't say I'm surprised it would feel better there.

Also I feel so far that the whining over the 720p scaled resolution is overkill. Sure it's not as sharp as my 1080p setup my 980 chip on my gaming laptop does on a 17" widescreen, but it's actually not that far off at all as the detail loss is fairly minimal. It's mostly more distant details come down or lighting effects farther away. Up close it's the insane detail you don't see other than if you walk to a wall and stare at it or look at your hands in the shackles as the game starts with the scars. Stuff like that is toned down, but other than that it's fairly well on par. Maybe if I was a resolution nutter, plugged in some 4K level style screen to my machine, then I'd have more justification to whine about it, but 720p~ vs 1080p (1920x1080) it's not a big loss. I'm quite pleased with it.

• 3 months later...

That's actually a pretty fantastic update they threw together. While it may not seem like a big deal at a numerical face value with a 2-3fps avg boost in play, in motion it actually is very solid as the drops under 20fps no longer occur and basically it stays where it barely drops under 25 as well which is great when stuff gets more intense. The detail gets puffed up slightly in places, overall resolution as it adapts now primarily stays at mid 600s to 720p which is quite nice too. I forgot to keep playing it which is bad, maybe time to dust it off again.