IGNORED

Bubsy for the Atari 5200

doctorclu

lot of people think Bubsy started on Atari (really the SNES and then Genesis) so .... sure... why not! Here we have it folks...

BUBSY : Kitt'N Kaboodle

post-4709-0-50134400-1510304966.png

This fun hack of Fast Eddie was made possible by Hack-O-Matic 3 and some coloring by KevinMos3 who has already made many good color hacks for Atari 2600 games.

The Woolies are at it again stealing Bubsy's stuff and this time they stole EVERYTHING and stored it on the planet Kaboodle!!! Bubsy will need to JUMP OVER the Woolies to get it all back. In the game you'll see objects Bubsy needs to collect on based on items he collected in...

Bubsy: Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind. (Yarnball, exclamation marker point)

Bubsy 2 (Nerf gun, Trading card)

Bubsy Fractured Furry Tales (Ball with exclamation point, extra life shirt)

Bubsy 3D (Rocket part, atom)

Bubsy 3D: Bubsy Visits the James Turrell Respective ("No Relief" gag from the fan made game)

And even the newest which came out recently that I'm enjoying...

post-4709-0-62712300-1510305002.png

Bubsy: Woolies Strike Back. (glowing yarn ball)

This was originally started on the Atari VCS/2600 and since the code for Fast Eddie for the 2600 and 400/800 were very similar, the Atari 400/800/XL/XE version soon followed.

Finding it fun to put Bubsy on one more Atari system, the 5200 version was also created. Not crazy about how this XL Conversion to the 5200 has Bubsy always running but meh... it's done. If someone can figure out how to get the main character to stop running that would be greatly appreciated.

Enjoy!

Bubsy0 5200 R1.bin

• Like 2

Here were the original pictures just for comparison.

post-4709-0-38216700-1510403475.jpgpost-4709-0-57813500-1510403481.jpg

Also, here is one good for an end label if you ever make a cartridge for yourself. *

post-4709-0-05611600-1510404392.png

The disclaimer that you think we wouldn't need but here goes...

* Definitely not encouraging selling these. All this has been a fun fan project to have my favorite character on the earlier Atari systems and maybe drum up some interest in the new Bubsy game. All the above is for personal enjoyment and not for sell. However if Accolade wants to make some retro cartridges using the above and sell them here on Atariage, I'd probably buy them just to have an official retro release. :D

Edited by doctorclu

If you'd like to see how the gameplay is, I made a video this morning:

One thing I realized as I made the video is about the controls. As long time 5200 gamers already know but for the newer folk out there, Fast Eddie was not originally released for the 5200. So the folks at Atarimax made a conversion. (Thank you!) :) I guess due to the nature of the 5200 controller the main character is always running in place. And as I found out today, this prevents the main character from getting off the ladder if the ladders are lined up.

Sometimes those ladders ALL line up. That is going to be interesting for the player. Not so bad when the prizes are going across the screen, but sometimes those prizes are stationary and if that happens to both prizes it will be "GAME OVER MAN!! GAME OVER!!!" :P

Again, if there is any way the controller could be hacked so that the main character can return to a stationary position (see the Atari 800 version below to see what I mean) that will make for not only a better look for the game, but better gameplay. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Otherwise for my fellow 5200 gamers, I did what I could for the time being.

Edited by doctorclu

As I was talking with Steve at Atari Classics and getting his hack of Fast Eddie (which was the same one I had modified) I played his copy and the ladders lined up was not a problem. I was able to exit the ladders at whatever level.

So it has occurred to me that the problem is the emulation.

Under Altierra I was unable to get off the ladder when they were lined up, and under Atari800MacX I the controls did not have a problem.

At some point I just need to get this on my AtariMax 128 in 1 cart and try this on the real hardware and see how it performs there.

• 3 weeks later...

The episode that we mention your game is currently being edited but here is a link to our latest episode http://theatari5200superpodcast.libsyn.com/episode-5-realsports-football-and-soccer

Cool will check it out and looking forward to the one in the editing room. :)

Mainly the sprite of Bubsy needs the touch up like we had in the R19 on the 2600 version. Cool thing about the 2600 version is all the testing happened there so when I looked at the 800 and 5200 it was just a matter of bringing over all the existing trial and effort.

Aside from the Bubsy sprite, might tinker some more on the background, but may not do too much more there. On the 2600 version the way Sirius Software did that was to make all pixels three times as big. With that they could make a ladder in four pixels and had four other pixels remaining. So off to the side of the ladders you see the creative use of unused effects. On the Atari 800 and 5200 versions the ladder was basically a pixel for pixel setup, so not as much to play with. But at least on all versions the character sprites were the same. I was able to convert over the pixels in a little over an hour. :D

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 1

See...I told you... you made an actual good Bubsy game! hehe.

The label you have proposed works, but needs to be redone. Bubsy is halfway cut off in that pic. I think the background itself should pretty much be cropped a bit and made to fit within the area better, or redo it with blank space at the top to allow room for the Bubsy logo graphic. Or...go the Atari route on some titles, and forgot the graphic logo and just have a Titlebar along the top of it instead.

The artwork on atari carts was always part of the charm of the games themselves and added to our perceived epicness of those games.

• Like 1

Good suggestions, let me see what I can do. The title bar might be the way to go.

One thing I would like to see more than anything on this version is the ability for Bubsy to return to center rather than always running. If we can ever get that nailed down that would be awesome.

Here is the newest revision of 5200 Bubsy. I was surprised that we've only had one revision so far. :)

This just touches up the Bubsy sprite as seen in R19 of the 2600 version.

Bubsy0 5200 R2.bin

How's this for the cartridge label?

post-4709-0-82126300-1513529490_thumb.jpg

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 1

IT'S A BUBSY HOLIDAY SPECIAL!!

Same game, same cat, new hat and trimmings for the Christmas season.

post-4709-0-06818400-1514108101.png

Bubsy0 5200 R3-HS.bin

But that's just a Christmas hack of a fan hack (kinda a Christmas tradition here on Atariage), the REAL holiday special is the newest (official) Bubsy game is half off on Steam, and nearly half off for the PS4 version till early January 2018.

post-4709-0-08113400-1514108141.png