Photo

Anyone Interested in Doing Art for an Original Game?

6 replies to this topic

#1 BydoEmpire OFFLINE  

BydoEmpire

River Patroller

• 2,728 posts

Posted Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:35 AM

I've been poking at an original, fantasy-themed arcade-style game but I've stopped making much progress.  I don't have the time, patience or skill to do the artwork for it, so I've been getting the game up and running with tiles and sprites from sample projects.  It's getting to the point where I want to see it start to look more polished, and the enemy design will influence their behavior and gameplay.  It all ties together.  If I had a collaborator who could actually make some cool enemies, background, etc. I think I'd have the push I need to keep on it.  You can think of the game as a fantasy-themed Frenzy: go through mazes shooting enemies, picking up magic items and treasure.  Anyone out there want to make cool monsters and dungeon tiles and help me sort out palettes?

#2 Fragmare OFFLINE  

Fragmare

Star Raider

• 79 posts

Posted Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:33 AM

Like Gaunlet/Dark Chambers?

#3 BydoEmpire OFFLINE  

BydoEmpire

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,728 posts

Posted Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:34 PM

Like Gaunlet/Dark Chambers?

In the same ballpark, I can definitely see a comparison.  I wouldn't say either is an inspiration for this, though.  I'm not particularly a fan of either of those games.

#4 peteym5 ONLINE  

peteym5

Stargunner

• 1,798 posts

Posted Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:27 AM

Do you have any graphics editing software like Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop, or Gimp? You can use the zoom function and edit the image per pixel. If you are using the 7800 Basic, you can save the image as PNG format with a bit depth of 4 colors.

#5 Fragmare OFFLINE  

Fragmare

Star Raider

• 79 posts

Posted Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:05 AM

I can probably throw a few pixels your way, though i'd say the "serious" overhead fantasy Frenzy clone has already been done (and quite well) with Dark Chambers... maybe it would add some originality if the graphics were done in a J-RPG/anime type of style?

What dimensions were you looking at for the main character sprite block? 16x16? 16x32?

#6 EricBall OFFLINE  

EricBall

Dragonstomper

• 793 posts

Posted Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:07 AM

Just a suggestion - don't put the cart (graphics) before the horse (code). 

In addition to the size of the sprites, the artist is going to need to know the graphics mode / palette.  And for anything other than static sprites, they are going to want to know something about how the sprites move and need to be animated.  ROM space might also be a factor.

You can do a lot of coding with temporary sprites and be in a much better position to know what you need the artist to provide and the limitations they must work inside.

#7 BydoEmpire OFFLINE  

BydoEmpire

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,728 posts

Posted Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:19 AM

Yeah, that's all true EricBall, I'm just a little impatient and want to see something coming together.  There's a lot of work that can be (and needs to be) done with placeholder sprints & backgrounds.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users