IGNORED

Sega Gen 2, CDX A/V S-video cable

thegamezmaster

No. The genesis video port does not contain s-video. Only audio, composite, and RGB. HD retrovision sells component cables (which convert RGB to component). These are the best cables you can get for North American TV usage before going the whole RGB, PVM upscaler route.

They make them in batches.

https://shop.hdretrovision.com/collections/component-cables/products/genesis-component-cable?variant=22630695427

Alternatively, you can get a Sega Genesis RGB scart cable and run it to a separate RGB-> component converter box.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SCART-RGB-to-YUV-Component-Video-Converter-Scaler/221156873851

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 1

No. The genesis video port does not contain s-video. Only audio, composite, and RGB. HD retrovision sells component cables (which convert RGB to component). These are the best cables you can get for North American TV usage before going the whole RGB, PVM upscaler route.

They make them in batches.

https://shop.hdretrovision.com/collections/component-cables/products/genesis-component-cable?variant=22630695427

Alternatively, you can get a Sega Genesis RGB scart cable and run it to a separate RGB-> component converter box.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SCART-RGB-to-YUV-Component-Video-Converter-Scaler/221156873851

Thank you very much for your response! I have seen what look like Genesis 2 A/V cables with an S-Video plug on them. Do they just send the composite signal to the S-Video Plug?

Thank you very much for your response! I have seen what look like Genesis 2 A/V cables with an S-Video plug on them. Do they just send the composite signal to the S-Video Plug?

?

Are you sure you're just not seeing the Genesis 2 mini-DIN end of the plug wrapped up in the picture? It's kind of similar in shape and size to an S-video connector. From a quick google search of "Genesis 2 a/v cables". Numerous pictures show the Genesis 2 end shown with the output RCA ends.

Like this one:

s-l200.jpg

That isn't s-video to the left of the red audio plug, that's the Genesis 2 9 pin mini-DIN connector your plug in the console.

You can mod the genesis for s-video output. Technically the video encoder provides it, but Sega never made the circuitry for it or ports to output it with. The Genesis is pretty easy to mod for S-video and looks good as well! But as Keepdreamin stated, the HD retrovision cables are the best route to go for the Genesis currently. Just have to make sure your TV support native 240P signals or can at least upscale 240P if you are using it with a modern HDTV as I do.

• Like 1

There is little to no reason to mod a system that natively supports RGB for S-Video. I guess if there's a CRT that you absolutely cannot part with, and that's its best input... but other than that... Use the RGB to your advantage.

Depends...

I still don't posses any CRT in my house that can use RGB directly. I'm not into paying $$$ for converters. And until the HD retrovision cables came out, S-video was about the best means and cheapest means to get a decent video out of my Genesis.

Even with the HD retrovision cables, if you don't have a TV that supports the 240p signal, then you are still quite limited without spending a lot of money. So yes, for me I still think that s-video modding a Genesis and pairing it with a cheap s-video/Composite to HDMI converter is a decent way to go. It is how I literally gamed on my Genesis and 32x for 5 years before the HD retrovision cable became available for me. Even with the HD rv cable I still have jailbars that I aren't nearly as pronounced through s-video. But the colors and sharpness can't be beat using the HD cables so I live with those jailbars.

In the end it is all personal preference obviously. Until the HD retrovision cables, I just wanted to be able to read the damn text in games from my genesis. On a CRT they looked fine through composite, but on a modern HDtv... the composite was much worse and RF wasn't even going to be considered. So... s-video conversion it was and I like the option of having it along with everything else.

• 4 weeks later...

s-l400.jpg

I actually have one of these converters and I even purchased a good set of RGB SCART cables for my Genesis just for this purpose. However, the video signal was very blurry to my TV and worse, there was interference in the video. It looked like a few scanlines with slightly warped picture data in them that would jiggle on the screen. It really wasn't pretty at all. I have some pics of it in fact in a photo album on my FB page. Some screens the RGB through SCART looked okay, but jailbars were horrible on large static color areas. On Sonic the hedgehog the colors were all off kilter through the RGB to Scart and none of the games looked as sharp as my S-video through s-vid/comp to HDMI converter provided. Even though some of the screens show a jailbar like effect on s-video it really isn't there and is an artifact of my camera when taking pics off LCD type screens. However, they are there for the RGB screens.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10208665262246302.1073741855.1153072122&type=1&l=418b83a991

Chaos Engine Character select through composite to my HDTV no conversion

post-6-0-12941000-1513004147_thumb.jpg

Chaos Engine Character select through RGB Scart to component adapter... better but still fuzzy

post-6-0-16039800-1513004157_thumb.jpg

Chaos Engine Character select through s-video to s-vid/comp to HDMI adapter

post-6-0-21587700-1513004163_thumb.jpg

Sonic the hedgehog through composite with no conversion.

post-6-0-37300700-1513004193_thumb.jpg

Sonic the hedgehog through RGB Scart to component converter... very obvious something is wrong with the colors here...

post-6-0-06979400-1513004218_thumb.jpg

Sonic the hedgehog through s-video through s-video/comp to HDMI converter.

post-6-0-01787500-1513004231_thumb.jpg

Sonic the hedgehog through RGB Scart to component adapter... simply ugh on my HDTV...

post-6-0-51852800-1513004248_thumb.jpg

Sonic again on s-video through s-video/comp to HDMI converter.

post-6-0-14573800-1513004263_thumb.jpg

So I'm sure you can see that at least on my HDTV, using an RGB Scart to component setup like has been shown here, did NOT work well for me at all. I haven't tested it on a CRT but I suspect that would probably look better. But for what I use in my game room.. the RGB Scart method looks to have issues with my Sony bravia. This is why until the HDretrovision cables came out, I converted nearly all of my classic consoles over to s-video. I still use s-video for the Jaguar, SNES, Master System, and Saturn. Only my Genesis is using RGB through the HDretrovision cables as that was the first time I had the clarify of proper colors with increased sharpness as compared to my s-video display previously. The s-video produces a very slight washed out color compared to the HDretrovision cables, and isn't quite as sharp but still compared to what I was getting when I tried RGB Scart through a component converter...

I do unfortunately have even more noticeable jail bars on the genesis video signal through the HDretrovision cables, but I'm living with it for now unless there is a sure method to kill them that doesn't kill any other video output.

You should only use this converter for a CRT. Flat screens need an RGB upscaler. You also must replace the power supply with it, as the one that comes with it is utter garbage.

Well, the same flat screen doesn't have an issue with using the HDretrovision cables. But about the power supply. I actually stuck a 12v 1.2amp supply onto it from an old Netgear switch that had the same plug and polarity on it. So I know it had more than enough current to do the job. In fact I could barely get any stable picture at all from the Scart to Component converter with the built in supply. When it did produce a picture it was very fuzzy with lines of snow in the video signal. I cleared up 90% of that changing it with the other adapter, but still the ugly colors remained on several games. Chaos Engine actually provides some of the most consistent graphics as far as the colors etc looking close to reasonable. Still you can see with how clear the s-video output through the cheap converter I was using was producing a very good result for me.

The default adapter that came with it I believe was only 500ma but was 12 volts. Changing this to a higher amperage adapter as I said, took care of a big chunk of it.

But if I was going to use a CRT I wouldn't likely have cared about the RGB in the first place since on a CRT the composite still looks pretty decent in most cases. I never had an issue with Genesis composite until i put it on my first LCD like 10 years ago and found out I couldn't read any of the text in most RPGs because the text was a blurry mess.

I would go full scale on the HDretrovision cables but they failed to work on my Master System and the 240p test using the composite video test on my TV failed for the SNES. So it would seem that my TV will likely only work with the Saturn and Genesis on 240p (It auto upscales to 480i according to the video information when it is being displayed).

I use a SCART cable going to a SCART RGB to HDMI converter and it looks perfect on my 32 inch lcd. Not a framemeister converter either. Just a 30 dollar converter off Amazon. If i use that same cable and a component converter (same converter pictured above), it looks fine on a CRT. I have never tried it on a flatscreen like that though..

The HDMI converter I use: CiBest HDMI to SCART Converter

Edited by chrisdad