Photo

Emulation Overload

12 replies to this topic

#1 Tifany OFFLINE  

Tifany

Chopper Commander

• 137 posts

Posted Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:31 PM

With almost every console up to the Ps2 and maybe beyond (not to mention computer systems) being able to be easily emulated (depending on your hardware) how does anyone actually find a game to play?? I find myself just continually scrolling through thousands of games on dozens of platforms trying to find one that I want to play? Sadly, I almost always just default to one of the games that Im very familiar with and have been playing for the last 30 years or so.

So, do you guys keep full romsets so you can play anything that might tickle your fancy, or do you just narrow the field down to games you think you will actually play?

How do yall overcome emulation overload?

#2 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 18,735 posts

Posted Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:44 PM

Well. I like the favorite VCS games I had as a kid in the 70's. And I like some of their variations. Like Phoenix on the VCS, I also like Flacons on the Apple II. I have fun by playing different ports of the same game. Star Blazer on the Apple II, Sky Blazer on the Atari 400/800. Saturn Navigator on the Apple II, then Orbiter on the PC. Flight Simulator on the Apple II, X-Plane on the PC. Recently I just got off of a 3-day Doom marathon, working through each level methodically and carefully. Won't do that again for several years. And round and round it goes.

Mainly I reference back to what I liked as a kid. And it's perfectly ok to only have a few select favorite titles. The time to play them all in-depth would exceed your lifespan.

If that doesn't help, then maybe pick a genre and explore all it has to offer.

#3 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• 10,374 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:26 PM

"Too much choice" is only a problem if you are choosing randomly. You wouldn't do that with music (would you?), so seek out some curation and make your own playlists. 

I like
  • the "games that defined the..." lists from www.racketboy.com
  • Retro Gamer Magazine (subscribe, or look for their compendiums of back issues)
  • old magazine reviews from Archive.org -- nothing quite reading the breathless reviews from back when the things were new to get excited for them (beware for when reality comes crashing in, though)
  • List threads and Top Tens from discussion sites like this one
  • YouTube and podcasts (though with videos, you might find you don't "need" to play some stuff when watching can actually be more fun)
You could narrow things down by system, year, publisher, genre, label color ... or by the things you actually played and enjoyed as a kid (if you were into gaming as tween, this is a very formative time for your personality)

Things like the Nintendo Classic Mini and Atari/Sega Flashback machines are nicely curated collections. If you don't know where to start, you could do a lot worse than beginning with the games on those. 

Less is totally more. Make lists of faves, try to stick to one thing at a time, avoid the impulse to overdo it. You wouldn't stuff yourself past the point of comfort at a food buffet (would you?) so don't do it with games. Try to put yourself into the mindset of someone who paid between twenty and sixty bucks to buy a home game, or put a quarter in per play of an arcade game. 

#4 ClassicGMR OFFLINE  

ClassicGMR

Stargunner

• 1,040 posts

Posted Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:54 AM

So, do you guys keep full romsets so you can play anything that might tickle your fancy, or do you just narrow the field down to games you think you will actually play?

Most front ends will allow you to flag Favorites into their own list - I use a front end called GameEx. In this way I actually do both things you suggested. :)

The games I love to come back to or have a real nostalgia connection to are in my Favorites list. For family, friends or just exploration of the systems in question I still have the full romsets. Your nostalgia never quite seems to match anyone else's and in this way when I have people over I can dig up their favorites to replay as well.

Another fun thing to do is go to Google and do a "Top ten <system> games" search. Everyone has a different list and in that way I find new, interesting games to play.

#5 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 18,735 posts

Posted Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:53 AM

You pick and choose favorites over time. I'm still discovering gems from the 1970's.

#6 zzip OFFLINE  

zzip

Stargunner

• 1,563 posts

Posted Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:33 AM

With almost every console up to the Ps2 and maybe beyond (not to mention computer systems) being able to be easily emulated (depending on your hardware) how does anyone actually find a game to play?? I find myself just continually scrolling through thousands of games on dozens of platforms trying to find one that I want to play? Sadly, I almost always just default to one of the games that Im very familiar with and have been playing for the last 30 years or so.

How do yall overcome emulation overload?

I only collect roms for games and systems I used to play BITD, and don't bother with much else.   I've also been building my collection since around 96, right when the emulation scene first took off, so I was never really overwhelmed.   But I can see how that might happen now! 

Edited by zzip, Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:35 AM.

#7 awhite2600 OFFLINE  

awhite2600

Moonsweeper

• 288 posts

Posted Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:13 PM

I agree completely.  I have emulators setup on various computers, consoles, handhelds - all with large rom sets.  I find myself playing the same subset of games over and over.

#8 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 18,735 posts

Posted Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:18 PM

That's 21 years of drip-drop curation. 21 years to refine and build a collection of favs.

I rather operate like a traditional disk and local memory storage system. Everything is stuffed into main storage disk, archived, and partly organized, and set up like a catch-all. Everything and anything goes there. Then my favs are pulled from there, organized, and configured nicely.

#9 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• 10,374 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:36 PM

I admire how you make it sound like a museum curation and not some old man shuffling around talking about his favorite pipe tobacco. 

Abe.png

#10 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 18,735 posts

Posted Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:59 PM

It's more than just a museum. It's the last bastion upholding all things classic gaming & computing. Likely the only collection to survive a world-wide catastrophe, an extinction level event.

It's not shoebox of disks stuffed under the bed.

Edited by Keatah, Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:59 PM.

#11 zzip OFFLINE  

zzip

Stargunner

• 1,563 posts

Posted Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:11 PM

That's 21 years of drip-drop curation. 21 years to refine and build a collection of favs.

I rather operate like a traditional disk and local memory storage system. Everything is stuffed into main storage disk, archived, and partly organized, and set up like a catch-all. Everything and anything goes there. Then my favs are pulled from there, organized, and configured nicely.

I never interended that.  There were only a relative handful emulators around in 96, and they could only play a subset of what they can today.   So I'd add new games as new emulators came or games became playable. 

#12 Duke75 OFFLINE  

Duke75

Space Invader

• 12 posts

Posted Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:34 PM

A combination of just being in the mood to play certain games or maybe a certain type of game, or sometimes just hitting the "select random game" in Launchbox a few times to see what comes up and catches my interest. I've become pretty good about focusing on a small number of games at once and not allowing myself to get distracted so much that I can't finish anything.

#13 Tifany OFFLINE  

Tifany

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 137 posts

Posted Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:38 AM

Thanks guys!  I appreciate all of your input!

I guess I need to slow down and find games that I really enjoy playing and make a favorites list. Then when I actually have time (im in grad school right now) I can try some new and different games to see if I can add to my faves.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users