Photo

SMD/GEN controller to plug in CD-I player.

10 replies to this topic

#1 lauraiss OFFLINE  

lauraiss

Combat Commando

• 4 posts

Posted Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:33 PM

Hi, everyone!

I'm new here, although long time in retrogaming. I'm working on one not game related project, but as a side effect I've got parts and built few adapters that takes Sega Megadrive/Genesis 3 or 6 button game pads and plugs in Philips CD-I for my own needs. I would like to know, whether anyone would be still interested in such a thing. This is not a commercial offer and I do not plan to make much more of those, this is not a pre-order, not poll whether you would by it, no obligations. Just to know if anyone would found such adapter useful.
This is simple, cheap DE-9 female connector->arduino pro mini->soft cable->8pin mini din conversion tool, nothing fancy, but works.
I'm aware that something like this, has been made before, and I have not investigated how or by whom.
Thank You in advance and please excuse my English.

#2 SignGuy81 OFFLINE  

SignGuy81

Stargunner

• 1,661 posts

Posted Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:23 PM

Your English is great and I'm sure there are folks here who would find them useful.

#3 ave1 OFFLINE  

ave1

Moonsweeper

• 407 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 11:08 PM

I want one or two- send me a PM so I can know the price. I live in the U.S.

Edited by ave1, Thu Dec 7, 2017 11:10 PM.

#4 lauraiss OFFLINE  

lauraiss

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:54 PM

Thank You for the replies.

I'm so happy, some guy actually bought one. This (link) is my first real engineering project and I actually made one that looks nice enough for someone to buy. My first one, that I was brave enough to sell online, even though, hot glue was used.   

As for user ave1, I can just simply make few for you, but it could take some time. I do not need to earn on these, but as I told before, I'm not a professional, and problem is not with the electronics, logic or program but with these darn boxes. I literally buy some china product (this), rip all innards out, and put my stuff in, just because I need this darn shell, that does not come empty anywhere. Ans shipping to me from China is ~month. And even then, cable hole is too big so I put hot glue in it. 
In shorter words, this works great, but mechanically.... there is how to improve. If it is ok with you, I can make and send one or few to you. Let me know, if interested.
Right now I'm working on DS4->genesis/vectrex. I'm close, but darn boxes :( The hell is in the shell&shipping not on breadboard.

Edited by lauraiss, Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:24 PM.

#5 tpugmire OFFLINE  

tpugmire

Chopper Commander

• 189 posts

Posted Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:43 PM

Im in the same boat with my adapter. Finding a housing for them is a pain now that radio shack is gone. After Christmas, Im going to focus on finding a good housing, and make a bunch of them.

#6 Osgeld ONLINE  

Osgeld

Quadrunner

• 5,241 posts

Posted Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:16 PM

http://lv.farnell.com/

#7 Bunta714 OFFLINE  

Bunta714

Combat Commando

• 4 posts

Posted Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:58 PM

I would love one or two of these also if you're still making them.

I'll send you a PM with some questions.
I'm in the US.

#8 SignGuy81 OFFLINE  

SignGuy81

Stargunner

• 1,661 posts

Posted Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:33 PM

I literally buy some china product (this), rip all innards out, and put my stuff in, just because I need this darn shell, that does not come empty anywhere. Ans shipping to me from China is ~month. And even then, cable hole is too big so I put hot glue in it.

Would this work better for you?

https://www.ebay.com...lsAAOSw9GhYbBOP

NM I just looked it up I didn't realize that you you needed the room inside the one you already are using for circuitry.  As far as the hole goes I wouldn't worry too much about it here is one here https://www.ebay.ie/...nUAAOSwevdaRoXd where they didn't bother to fill in the hole.

If you want a solution for the gap around the cable maybe this https://www.ebay.com...5.c100005.m1851

or this https://www.ebay.com...bYAAOSwY~1aHytQ could help

I just don't know if either one the widest part would be too wide for the hole on the case.

Edited by SignGuy81, Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:59 PM.

#9 lauraiss OFFLINE  

lauraiss

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:23 PM

Thank You SignGuy81, but I've already settled this. From now on I will sell my stuff via "gamegizmo.wordpress.com" and ebay.
After few sales I will be moving to proper domain and reasonable selling terms.
I plan to make adapters for all consoles I own, I'ts just a matter of time till I have stock of goods. I already have built prototype gadgets for all consoles I own, and those are great. Actually I can not wait till I will sell some of my genesis adapters, I'm having that much fun with these.
It is just a matter of finances till I make proper housing for these to sell. The problem is in the amount. I simply can not afford to order enough parts. For current adapters it is two chips, bluetooth module, cable, and housing. Without any personal work i is still ~20$ self cost, meaning to order 100 of those will be 2k spare cash, that I really do not have.  I will make those, slowly but steady. Still, thank you for the interest.
Still, playing my sega megadrive (I'm in pal region) or mega CD/master system wirelesly is so much fun. I'll make youtube video later and upload here.

Edited by lauraiss, Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:41 PM.

#10 tpugmire OFFLINE  

tpugmire

Chopper Commander

• 189 posts

Posted Sat Feb 3, 2018 12:41 PM

Not sure if this helps you at all, but I was able to find a good selection of housings for my adapters at www.allelectronics.com The prices were pretty good too. Good luck with your adapters!

#11 lauraiss OFFLINE  

lauraiss

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted Wed Mar 7, 2018 5:01 PM

Hi everyone!
I've moved my page to lauraiss.wordpress.com as it turned out that gamegizmos is not something unique only I came up with. But It does not matter as eventually I will move to proper domain. But about all the help and support with info on housings - the problem is, that I do not print my own PCBs, I solder everything on wires, and that is really pain in the coconut. I post this not to advertise, but just to tell new designers and developers - mass producing at home is almost impossible. Yesterday I've made 5 SMDtoCDI adapters, as I call them. It took me 6,5 hours. One could imagine that it is soldering and software writing, but the most hell was assembly - fitting parts, cleaning cables to solder, cutting wires, assembling those darned plugs. I believe that private gadget making is somewhat utopia. And at the end of the day, self cost is ridiculous, compared to machine assembly. Of course I'm glad that I can play my genesis, saturn or CD-I with DS4 controller, but this is nothing that is possible to make business of, unless delegate production to professionals.

Edited by lauraiss, Wed Mar 7, 2018 5:02 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users