AV mod gone wrong - a little help?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Dauber OFFLINE  

Dauber

Quadrunner

• 5,451 posts
  • What's for tea, luv?

Posted Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:00 PM

I did an AV mod on a Sears light-sixer. I've done this mod many times on a 4-switch Vader, a couple of Jrs., a heavy sixer, and at least three 7800s....but this is a rare occurrence of a mod not working.

I get no video, but when I turn the console on with a cartridge in it, I get to short buzzes in the key of B-flat (50hz??), almost indicating that it's some kind of POST that didn't go well.

The console worked fine before I modded it.

I'm attaching pictures of my external solder points; I'm not concerned about the leads to the audio/video jacks...but if anybody can give me any pointers, that'd be great. It was this mod:

http://vintagegaming...guide-6-switch/

mod1.jpg mod2.jpg mod3.jpg

#2 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

Nodus Tollens

• 16,902 posts

Posted Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:01 AM

Did you remove the transistor at 202?

#3 Dauber OFFLINE  

Dauber

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,451 posts
  • What's for tea, luv?

Posted Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:41 AM

Yup. First thing I did.

#4 Dauber OFFLINE  

Dauber

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,451 posts
  • What's for tea, luv?

Posted Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:05 AM

FIGURED IT OUT!

Just out of curiosity, I did a search for other instructions on how to do an AV mod on a sixer. I found a set of instructions that were virtually identical -- the mod board looked slightly different but had the same components and wiring. Thing is...those instructions tell you to wire the audio-in to the main board, but the ones on vintagegamingandmore.com have you wiring the VIDEO-IN to the main board. I had enough time this morning to futz around...I swapped the audio-in and video-in, and the console works great now! woohoo! :) (I also posted a comment that hopefully vintagegamingandmore's moderator will notice so they can make the necessary correction.)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users