IGNORED

Gridslugger - Game in progress (compiled XB)

Bones-69

• 5 years later...
On 4/20/2023 at 11:22 PM, OX. said:

Would love to see this game released.

Unfortunately, I think it will never be released. Similarly to Beamrider port (Beamrider), this one (Pifatt clone), this other one (Grotto Escape) and I bet also the new one, Foray (Foray).

All of them seem interesting and promising. No one was completed. 😞 

Frankly speaking, I do not undestand the reason to create hype in a project/game, especially if not commercial, if you are not committed to complete it. In particular, I was interested to port Beamrider on the TI, but I removed it from my list when I've read that there was somebody else already working on it. At least, it would be appreciated to announce that the attempt is "closed", so it will be free again if another developer wants to work on it. Of course, I'm referring only on ports of existing games for other platforms.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

Absolutely not the same.  No two programmers are going to come up with the same results.

In the case of the Beamrider conversion yes!

He started and not finished the game. I have not started the port because I supposed he is working on it and preferred to not overlap.

Same result: no porting for the TI of this title...

49 minutes ago, tmop69 said:

In the case of the Beamrider conversion yes!

He started and not finished the game. I have not started the port because I supposed he is working on it and preferred to not overlap.

Same result: no porting for the TI of this title...

This is somehow double-edged ... for one, I would love to have as many ports to the TI as possible, so very much favour the "Don't do it twice". On the other hand, I keep my projects private until the end, as I do not want to create a "hype" or an "obligation to deliver" either. It is my hobby and I decide how much time goes into which project and which to postpone indefitely. If I lose interest or something does not work out as planned - and most of us want to push some kind of boundary, either personal or technical - I want to bury the attempt under a mantle of silence and definately don't want to elucidate "woran's geleesche hett". 

@grammostola and I are working on one classic since last August (not full-time, for sure), again in compiled XB256. We would be disappointed if i.e. @Asmusr would come up now with an assembler version, which would certainly outperform our game. But this is a risk we are taking to keep our freedom and independence. 

• Like 7

I get the frustration of waiting or possibly getting 'vaporware' but let's be realistic about this hobby.  Life is almost always going to get in the way.  I'm finishing game projects now that I first started in 2010.  Someone posting a screenshot or writing a post doesn't put them on a release schedule or make them beholden to the group.  No one of us can dictate when a project doesn't "belong" to someone else any more, or when they've officially let the team down by not finishing it.  This isn't a corporate IT department.  We're a tiny global community of busy people who often want to do more than life lets us do.

Write the games you want to write, on your terms and on your time, and keep your eyes on your own paper.  We got 900 Q-berts and Donkey Kongs in the 1980s and no one died.  Having two Beamriders would be an embarrassment of riches.  Expecting us to divide up assignments and tackle them efficiently is just not gonna happen in a hobbyist setting.

• Like 7

I can't speak for anyone else, but I personally have a tendency to share projects in development to help motivate me to finish it at least at some point. Posting a sort of dev log, getting feedback from the community can be incredibly helpful in keeping me motivated. I also very much enjoy reading other people's dev logs, even though they don't always come to fruition or turn into full games. If we only talked about finished projects, I think this place might become a ghost town rather quickly :).

I also don't think there's anything wrong with having multiple similar projects going on at the same time. It's always nice to see how different people interpret the same game.

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like OX's idea of there being a repository for abandoned projects where people can put code for others to complete if they like. Life happens, priorities change and people whom start things with every intent of finishing them suddenly find themselves unable or without the spare time to do it, having a place where they can leave their code for the public so it won't be a wasted effort would be great. 

• Like 5