Photo

Reconditioning Sears Tele-Games Super Video Arcade unit

8 replies to this topic

#1 Master Phruby OFFLINE  

Master Phruby

Quadrunner

• 8,050 posts

Posted Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:02 PM

I recently found a working Sears Tele-Games Super Video Arcade console at Goodwill. It works pretty well if you blow on the carts and flick the switch a lot. the contacts need cleaning. The AV mod kit will be here next week.

The console is very yellowed and one of the controllers has a gash through buttons 1 & 5. Any suggestions on fixing the controller? 

Is this machine rare? Since it's the Sears version, I guess it wouldn't be any more rare than the Atari Tele-Games version. I could do a sun bleaching on it. Is it considered a sin to repaint it all black?  Maybe add a red power led?

4DlLmLD.jpg

#2 GenetixJ OFFLINE  

GenetixJ

Moonsweeper

• 358 posts
  • 8-bit pharmacy

Posted Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:18 PM

On one this rough, I'd say have at it and go wild!

#3 Lathe26 OFFLINE  

Lathe26

River Patroller

• 3,011 posts

Posted Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:25 PM

Luckily, the Sears version is already supposed to be yellow.

To fix the controller, you should be able to get an original Intellivision (not a Intellivision II) and replace the internals of that controller. Be gentle with the flexible circuitboard inside. Please note I have not attempted this.

#4 GenetixJ OFFLINE  

GenetixJ

Moonsweeper

• 358 posts
  • 8-bit pharmacy

Posted Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:48 PM

There was an outfit from Britain that was selling NOS of them.

#5 mthompson OFFLINE  

mthompson

Dragonstomper

• 657 posts

Posted Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:22 AM

The controllers and top cover of the Sears console should be a nice cream color, and the vented area is painted a rich chocolate brown to match the base. If you need touch-up paint for the brown, Testors "1183 Rubber" model paint is a great match.

#6 IMBerzerk OFFLINE  

IMBerzerk

Chopper Commander

• 101 posts

Posted Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:39 PM

Some advice on painting if you choose to... DO NOT USE KRYLON FUSION plastic paint. Best paint to use on plastic is the 2 process vinyl/plastic paint Duplicolor sells at many auto stores.

The process is easy and does a great job, plus it wont be sticky like Fusion will be. I used the paint to repaint the faded plastic interior of my 99 Jeep XJ (Cherokee). The plastic the SSVA is made with is very similar to the ABS grade as automotive plastic.

Use it on the flip side of the cover firsy and see how you like it.

JR.

#7 IntellivisionDude OFFLINE  

IntellivisionDude

River Patroller

• 3,623 posts
  • INTV Brotherhood Member

Posted Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:11 AM

Here are a couple of old videos Warpuddy did when he restored his Sears

#8 SiLic0ne t0aD ONLINE  

SiLic0ne t0aD

River Patroller

• 2,161 posts
  • Rock 'N Roller, Space Patroller

Posted Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:10 AM

I restored a Sears SVA a couple years back, going by Wurpuddy's video as a guide and it came out awesome! Mine was pretty rough when I first got it. I used Magic Eraser to clean up the light, cream colored plastic and it brightened it right up. After sanding and leveling out the gouges in the rubberized paint on the back, I painted over top of that using Dupli-Color universal black (IIRC), which looks like a dark, metallic chocolate Brown instead of black anyway.. Just like the video posted above. Then, I touched up the lettering and clear coated the top shell about half a dozen times. The front gold silk screening was a kind of rubbed off/faded but there's not a whole lot I could do about that. I might try to measure it, replicate the lettering and have a waterslide decal made to go over it someday. Otherwise, this is about as restored/suped up as it gets for this particular console.

Besides the av and rgb mod, I added a super bright blue power on/off LED to it, centered right between the power & reset buttons, then installed a chrome bezel (that are usually used on DIY guitar pedals) around the LED. I had to use a resistor (I forget what value right off hand) to tone down the brightness of the blue light. I should note, this one has a 2609 motherboard in it, the Sears one started acting up. Original 2609 motherboards and bottom shells can be swapped in with a Sears top, just so you know.. In case you have trouble one day or just want to experiment. Anyways, the whole thing came out well in the end and looks really sharp overall. It was a lot of work all in all, but everything is still holding up great and it was totally worth it. It's my daily driver Intellivision. ;)

On yours, I'd see how well it cleans up and go from there before painting, buts that's just me. Try another membrane and keypad from a different model 2609 Intellivision, which are more common than Sears... it should be a direct swap AFAIK. I recommend getting a can of DeOxit D9 contact cleaner and scrub the cart port with a toothbrush or even some rubbing alcohol. Do this with your cartridges as well, using a Qtip. Hopefully this will increase the reliability of everything.
Good luck with it!
t0aDINTV.jpg

#9 BBWW ONLINE  

BBWW

River Patroller

• 2,909 posts
  • If it is not fun move away slowly.

Posted Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:18 PM

I have sets of side buttons. I got a batch of about 50 a few years back. Not sure if they are for Intv 1 or 2, but I'm happy to send on a pair.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users