Photo

S-Video Connector for 800XL

6 replies to this topic

#1 hueyjones70 OFFLINE  

hueyjones70

Star Raider

• 88 posts

Posted Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:26 PM

Has anyone attached a S-video connector to an 800XL. I am considering doing that after I finish my next Super Video 2.1 upgrade and I just wondered where would be the best place to attach the wires. Could I connect to the din plug, the din connectors on the foil side of the board or is there a more direct method that would not cause any degradation to the signal.

#2 BillC OFFLINE  

BillC

Stargunner

• 1,708 posts

Posted Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:39 PM

Has anyone attached a S-video connector to an 800XL. I am considering doing that after I finish my next Super Video 2.1 upgrade and I just wondered where would be the best place to attach the wires. Could I connect to the din plug, the din connectors on the foil side of the board or is there a more direct method that would not cause any degradation to the signal.

The DIN monitor jack has provision for the Chroma/Luma signals used for s-video, though Chroma isn't usually connected on the 800XL. If the color/Chroma signal is connected all you need is a special video cable with the s-video(mini-DIN4) plug, these are available from 8bitclassics.

https://www.8bitclas...ideo-Cable.html

#3 Paul Westphal OFFLINE  

Paul Westphal

Stargunner

• 1,221 posts

Posted Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:55 PM

I just bought one. I will test it on all systems, including my monitor port 600xl's. I'm thinking the original 800 is going to look great. I will try it on a stock s-video, then s-video upscaled to HDMI.

Glad I caught this :)

#4 hueyjones70 OFFLINE  

hueyjones70

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 88 posts

Posted Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:52 PM

I know about the chroma-luma and I know about the cables, I had one with the s-video connection and it didn't work, I don't think it was wired correctly. The probably used the composite video for the chroma and I have composite disabled. I want to have a dedicated s-video jack that I know will work as intended.

#5 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 2,626 posts

Posted Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:57 PM

I just added the mod and routed it to the the Atari's standard jack, my cable has all the signals available via RCA jacks and standard s-video jack... cake mod and cake cable to make.. it might take a whole 18 to 20 ish minutes to do the whole thing (mod and cable) letting the iron warm up while ya disassemble...

Edited by _The Doctor__, Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:58 PM.

#6 kheller2 OFFLINE  

kheller2

Stargunner

• 1,032 posts

Posted Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:32 PM

I think hueyjones70's issue is that the 5DIN cables are non-standard, whereas the mini SVID port and cables are.

of course, I would just make a proper DIN5 to DIN4 dongle if you really needed it.

#7 hueyjones70 OFFLINE  

hueyjones70

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 88 posts

Posted Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:39 PM

I added a s-video connecter to an 800XL and the results were not satisfactory. I was picking up some interference from something that caused horizontal bands of wavy lines to move up and down the screen. Rather than spending a lot of time troubleshooting, I decided that the concept just wasn't worth the effort.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users