IGNORED

Consoles with a computer expansion

jhd

Many of the major early video game consoles had expansion hardware to turn them into (at least in theory) a fully functional computer -- the 2600 had the Compumate (and several unreleased prototypes), the Intellivision had two different keyboard expansions, and the Colecovision had the infamous Adam. The Odyssey 2 always included a keyboard (though very little software supported it).

While it was not released in North America , the Famicom received Family Basic, which included a keyboard attachment. Was this the last console to receive such an expansion?

Are there any other video game-computer hybrids?

I do know that there was a Japanese PC that could also play MegaDrive games, and I've seen the 3DO Blaster, but neither of these really meet the criteria for a hybrid system.

Many of the major early video game consoles had expansion hardware to turn them into (at least in theory) a fully functional computer -- the 2600 had the Compumate (and several unreleased prototypes), the Intellivision had two different keyboard expansions, and the Colecovision had the infamous Adam. The Odyssey 2 always included a keyboard (though very little software supported it).

While it was not released in North America , the Famicom received Family Basic, which included a keyboard attachment. Was this the last console to receive such an expansion?

Are there any other video game-computer hybrids?

I do know that there was a Japanese PC that could also play MegaDrive games, and I've seen the 3DO Blaster, but neither of these really meet the criteria for a hybrid system.

The XEGS? The only Atari Console with a computer keyboard accessory that actually shipped! :P

I think Atari also showed off a keyboard for the 7800, when they first announced the 7800 in 1984.

The VTech Creativision is in the hybrid category, with the already mentioned Imagination Machine.

Also Sega in the beginning did something different - they released both the SG-1000 video game and the SC-3000 home computer which has the same hardware and is cartridge compatible with the SG-1000. Actually someone patched the BASIC from the SC-3000 so it would boot on a Master System (but no keyboard to connect to it).

Edited by carlsson

The Bally Arcade/Astrocade was enthusiastically programmed in Basic by many through the numeric keypad. I think there was a keyboard at some point available, or at least planned.

Also, I believe the Amiga computer was originally planned as a game machine. It was also eventually used in some coin-ops too, I think.

I would also say that the Commodore 64 was sold as a "computer", but was mostly used as a game machine; same for the Sinclair computers, and several others. At the time, there was a lot of hype about computers making game machines obsolete, but that's not what happened.

The Bally Arcade/Astrocade was enthusiastically programmed in Basic by many through the numeric keypad. I think there was a keyboard at some point available, or at least planned.

Also, I believe the Amiga computer was originally planned as a game machine. It was also eventually used in some coin-ops too, I think.

I would also say that the Commodore 64 was sold as a "computer", but was mostly used as a game machine; same for the Sinclair computers, and several others. At the time, there was a lot of hype about computers making game machines obsolete, but that's not what happened.

Well... Since both the xbox and ps4 are pretty much consolized PC, I believe it did became true. Even the Dreamcast ran a version of Windows...

The VTech Creativision is in the hybrid category, with the already mentioned Imagination Machine.

Also Sega in the beginning did something different - they released both the SG-1000 video game and the SC-3000 home computer which has the same hardware and is cartridge compatible with the SG-1000. Actually someone patched the BASIC from the SC-3000 so it would boot on a Master System (but no keyboard to connect to it).

There's the sk-1100 keyboard, originally designed for the sg-1000.

post-43287-0-65211300-1510799015_thumb.jpg

https://sions-papa.blogspot.ca/2014/07/blog-post.html

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 6

Supposedly, there’s been a settlement and us OfherOS users can get a payout... but the judge threw it out because the payout was too kind to Sony. So they were supposed to come up with something better. However, it’s been since February and nothing’s happened yet.

It might only be $50, but I want that money. Sony screwed me over.

• Like 1

I read somewhere that the Famicon was purposefully made "simple" so as to not put off kids and the laymen. Then when they were thinking of entering the US market they had that AVS computer system planned, but decided to go with a "VCR tape" design instead.

There were a few second-tier computers back in the day with similar capabilities as a console; I remember as a kid thinking that they were marketing ploys to convince parents to buy an "educational" machine instead of "them darn vidiot game ataris" :)

• Like 1

Repeating a lot of what was said, but...

Although you had to tediously program through the keypad, the Bally Astrocade was definitely first once you added one of its two BASIC add-ons, which of course allowed for all important saving/loading to cassette. It's hard to consider things like the BASIC cartridges for the Atari 2600 or Odyssey2 (US version) as computer add-ons, because even though you could program, you couldn't save/load software.

The second one of course was the APF Imagination Machine add-on for the APF M/MP1000 console. This predicted both Mattel's two efforts with the Keyboard Component and ECS, as well as Coleco's Adam initiative, although that obviously went one step further by offering a stand-alone option, something that Sega would do with the SC-3000 in a way with the SG-1000.

Personally, I've always been fascinated by the concept and have every example I can think of from all territories in my collection, save for a Keyboard Component. I would love for there to be a proper book on the subject. Unfortunately, now that I'm getting out of collecting, said author won't be me.

• Like 1

I remember reading about a keyboard/Linux/hard-drive expansion for the PS2, but cannot find any info on it today.

I saw a PS 2 keyboard (in box) at a thrift shop once. It was expressly advertised for use in MMO games like Everquest or Final Fantasy XI.

I have heard of the PS 2 Linux kit, but I have never actually seen one. From what I have read online, it was very limited (e.g. no access to the specialized graphic hardware).

• Like 1

I saw a PS 2 keyboard (in box) at a thrift shop once. It was expressly advertised for use in MMO games like Everquest or Final Fantasy XI.

I have heard of the PS 2 Linux kit, but I have never actually seen one. From what I have read online, it was very limited (e.g. no access to the specialized graphic hardware).

Same as the PS 3 version, no direct access to hardware, but i know people who used both the PS2 and PS3 linux kit. The PS2 with the HDD/Network interface was cheaper than a PC at the time so poor students could chose this as an option to connect to the university servers.

Of course there is also the Dreamcast which ran Windows CE and was often used as an ethernet sniffer/hacking/penetration plateform by hackers and net admins.

Heheheh, I remember that hack. http://www.securityfocus.com/news/558

If I heard that noisy little thing in my network closet, it would be smashed with a bat!

[Offspring Crazy Taxi soundtrack] YAH YAH YAH YAH YAH!

"While useful, they note that the other platforms lack at least one of the Dreamcast's virtues. "It's innocuous. It looks like a toy," said Davis. "If you bring it into a company, they're going to go, 'Wow, look at the toy!'"

Yeah, because walking into an office building and playing with "a toy" never generates any pushback. My boss wouldn't think twice if I just plopped some Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots on my desk.

"

• Like 1