IGNORED

I think THE Beery Miller may have shown up!

Omega-TI

Yeah, I am here. I've followed off and on the Yahoogroup for years. About two years ago, I picked up a Geneve system and a TI system both with HFDC's and hard drives. I went to reformat the hard drives and discovered there were issues. Following a move from Houston back to Kentucky, I now have a pretty nice office area where both systems are setup but are not fully operational to my taste yet.

I did pick up a FinalGrom99 and also getting a Myarc FDC to use with a HxC floppy emulator that is connected to the Geneve system. The HxC works with the HFDC, however, I need (i.e., want) to format some bootdisks in a 720K format with settings to allow faster booting until I can get the hard drives operational.

How much I do, not sure. Would love to setup a BBS again, but not sure really how much interest there is. Probably not much as it looks like this area is the place to be. If there are any other BBS Sysops reading this with TI setups, I would be curious to know daily and/or weekly traffic they are seeing.

I have thought about doing some programming, but not quite sure whether to do stuff with the TI or Geneve system. It's easier for me with the Geneve and MDOS mode, but last year's Chicago 2016 Fair, I did not feel there was too much Geneve activity happening. If there are still active Geneve users using their systems, please speak up here.

Since I am relatively new to this group, I do not know usernames to real names so please let me know who is who.

Later,

Beery

• Like 3

Yeah, I am here. I've followed off and on the Yahoogroup for years. About two years ago, I picked up a Geneve system and a TI system both with HFDC's and hard drives. I went to reformat the hard drives and discovered there were issues. Following a move from Houston back to Kentucky, I now have a pretty nice office area where both systems are setup but are not fully operational to my taste yet.

I did pick up a FinalGrom99 and also getting a Myarc FDC to use with a HxC floppy emulator that is connected to the Geneve system. The HxC works with the HFDC, however, I need (i.e., want) to format some bootdisks in a 720K format with settings to allow faster booting until I can get the hard drives operational.

How much I do, not sure. Would love to setup a BBS again, but not sure really how much interest there is. Probably not much as it looks like this area is the place to be. If there are any other BBS Sysops reading this with TI setups, I would be curious to know daily and/or weekly traffic they are seeing.

I have thought about doing some programming, but not quite sure whether to do stuff with the TI or Geneve system. It's easier for me with the Geneve and MDOS mode, but last year's Chicago 2016 Fair, I did not feel there was too much Geneve activity happening. If there are still active Geneve users using their systems, please speak up here.

Since I am relatively new to this group, I do not know usernames to real names so please let me know who is who.

Later,

Beery

Beery, I am Ricky Bottoms, I got into the Ti99 scene in the early 90's in Indiana after buying out a TIer's business in Indianapolis and sold and bought both at the Chicago and Lima fairs. I was into it till about 2000, when due to a lot of personal family issues, I packed up and moved back to S. Georgia. My stuff lay in a storage trailer for about 17 years, mostly unused, getting leaked on and dirty. I would tinker with emulators to include the Geneve emulation included with Mess/Mame. I still do have two Geneves( 1 modfied with PFM+, 1 with just added memory) and am actively engaged into bringing them back into usage. but it has been a hard road with all my hardware after laying dormant so long. I am trying to get my two HFDC's and personality card operational and just recently got some MFM drive emulation boards to start building. I remember being glad that you had performed all the hard work, you did, to further the scope of use of the Geneve and want to thank you personally for your contributions to these fine but finicky machines.

• Like 1

I had a question about whether my games would run on a Geneve. Does any such thing as a cartridge port widget exist for the Geneve?

There is no way to "plug in" software on the Geneve except through some kind of disk based files. Having said that, if it will run on a standard TI-99/4A, it will run on a Geneve. If you have something that is in cartridge format, do a Gramkracker dump of the cartridge to disk. These files then can be run when you run GPL that sets up the Geneve for TI-99/4A emulation.

Hope that information helps.

Beery

• Like 1

Beery, I am Ricky Bottoms, I got into the Ti99 scene in the early 90's in Indiana after buying out a TIer's business in Indianapolis and sold and bought both at the Chicago and Lima fairs. I was into it till about 2000, when due to a lot of personal family issues, I packed up and moved back to S. Georgia. My stuff lay in a storage trailer for about 17 years, mostly unused, getting leaked on and dirty. I would tinker with emulators to include the Geneve emulation included with Mess/Mame. I still do have two Geneves( 1 modfied with PFM+, 1 with just added memory) and am actively engaged into bringing them back into usage. but it has been a hard road with all my hardware after laying dormant so long. I am trying to get my two HFDC's and personality card operational and just recently got some MFM drive emulation boards to start building. I remember being glad that you had performed all the hard work, you did, to further the scope of use of the Geneve and want to thank you personally for your contributions to these fine but finicky machines.

Thanks for the compliments. I remember your name, just not a face to put with it.

If I am not mistaken, that was Larry O'Conner's business you must have bought? I was by his place once in about 92 or so. By 97, things were really slacking on my end with the Geneve due to a divorce and other interests (Scuba) taking up most of my free time. Somewhere around 99, I think it was when I pretty much sold most of my equipment. In 2001, I moved to Houston after I remarried. Been VERY happily married ever since. In 2016, I took a job up here in Kentucky and got moved into a new home in 2017 after my house sold down there. I've got more room for my computer stuff now!!!

Only thing is now that I am back up here, I have more freedom to do a number of other hobbies that I have missed out on since my college days such as hunting and fishing besides my powered paragliding business I have now (www.USWingNuts.com). It is doing quite well with this being the best year ever.

Beery

There is no way to "plug in" software on the Geneve except through some kind of disk based files. Having said that, if it will run on a standard TI-99/4A, it will run on a Geneve. If you have something that is in cartridge format, do a Gramkracker dump of the cartridge to disk. These files then can be run when you run GPL that sets up the Geneve for TI-99/4A emulation.

Hope that information helps.

Beery

Thanks. I guess that means there's no way to run a 512KB bank switched TI-99/4A ROM cart.

Thanks for the compliments. I remember your name, just not a face to put with it.

If I am not mistaken, that was Larry O'Conner's business you must have bought? I was by his place once in about 92 or so. By 97, things were really slacking on my end with the Geneve due to a divorce and other interests (Scuba) taking up most of my free time. Somewhere around 99, I think it was when I pretty much sold most of my equipment. In 2001, I moved to Houston after I remarried. Been VERY happily married ever since. In 2016, I took a job up here in Kentucky and got moved into a new home in 2017 after my house sold down there. I've got more room for my computer stuff now!!!

Only thing is now that I am back up here, I have more freedom to do a number of other hobbies that I have missed out on since my college days such as hunting and fishing besides my powered paragliding business I have now (www.USWingNuts.com). It is doing quite well with this being the best year ever.

Beery

No, not Larry, though I remember him. I bought Delbert Wright's D'Wright Stuff business(I think it was that?), and actually not the business, but the inventory. I tried to do business as RDB Enterprises.

Edited by RickyDean

Thanks. I guess that means there's no way to run a 512KB bank switched TI-99/4A ROM cart.

Nope. Bank switching is all different.

I am sure the program could be tweaked to run on a Geneve whether it could be done on the TI side of things on the Geneve, or in MDOS mdos mode with some programming if it did not require all 512K of memory. If it did require that much memory, then it would have to run on a memory enhanced Geneve.

Beery

No, not Larry, though I remember him. I bought Delbert Wright's D'Wright Stuff business(I think it was that?), and actually not the business, but the inventory. I tried to do business as RDB Enterprises.

I remember Debert's name and that is about it. Been too many years............

Hey Beery,

My name I saw Doug Phelps. I live in Somerset, Ky.. I had forgotten you lived here in the state at one point. I was a 9640 News subscriber and even participated in the MDOS buy out. I sold my Geneve and hfdc cards many years ago, and Ive just now started getting back in to the TI in the last several months. Its great to see new old faces around here! (Come to think of it, I think I might have even written some documentation on the GEME program for you.)

Edited by ndp630

Hey Beery,

My name I saw Doug Phelps. I live in Somerset, Ky.. I had forgotten you lived here in the state at one point. I was a 9640 News subscriber and even participated in the MDOS buy out. I sold my Geneve and hfdc cards many years ago, and Ive just now started getting back in to the TI in the last several months. Its great to see new old faces around here! (Come to think of it, I think I might have even written some documentation on the GEME program for you.)

Hey Doug. I remember the name. Did we ever meet up at a Chicago or Lima show?

As far as GEME and docs you may have written, it does not sound familiar. Not saying it did not happen, but I though I was the only one that ever really tried anything with that software. I think one of my last issues of the 9640News disk magazine had the complete source code as it stood at that time so you may have done something afterwards I did not recall.

One of the things that has me a bit interested in software is the TCP/IP project someone has in the works. I think they were using a Raspberry Pi setup in the mix to handle some of the work. I had given some thought about trying to merge some of the GEME and My-Term source code together for a potential text based browser on a graphic screen. Mind you, just a thought at this point in time.

Beery

Hey Doug. I remember the name. Did we ever meet up at a Chicago or Lima show?

As far as GEME and docs you may have written, it does not sound familiar. Not saying it did not happen, but I though I was the only one that ever really tried anything with that software. I think one of my last issues of the 9640News disk magazine had the complete source code as it stood at that time so you may have done something afterwards I did not recall.

One of the things that has me a bit interested in software is the TCP/IP project someone has in the works. I think they were using a Raspberry Pi setup in the mix to handle some of the work. I had given some thought about trying to merge some of the GEME and My-Term source code together for a potential text based browser on a graphic screen. Mind you, just a thought at this point in time.

Beery

I believe we did meet at Lima. That would have 89-90 maybe. Makes no difference about GEME, it seems like I did something like that but 25+ years dulls the memory. I think I dropped out of the TI after I sold my Geneve set up because it felt like A giant step backwards. I got into Atari ST’s at the time and Macs rule the house now.

I’m really interested in TiPi as well. I have 3 pi’s myself and have one in use as a garage door remote, and another one running game emulators, and a 3rd sitting idle. Using it for mass storage etc will be awesome. Your potential projects with it sound very interesting.

Later,

Beery

I still use my Geneve and Heatwave BBS is currently operating on it. See telnet address below. There are a few of us here who still use the machines, but the TI programming is certainly more popular for multiple reasons.

• Like 1

Hi Beery, the last time we talked with each other may be back when I still used Yahoo. You may have noticed that I am still actively involved in ME ... ehm ... MAME. The most interesting change in the meantime for the Geneve is arguably the emulation of the PFM512.

(Shocking ... I just realized that I've been working on the TI emulations in MAME for more than 10 years by now...)

• Like 1

I had a question about whether my games would run on a Geneve. Does any such thing as a cartridge port widget exist for the Geneve?

you just load the cart in GPL on a geneve, same as you would on a gram kracker or pgram

or use the mdos loader that i'm going to have to dredge the brain.. init?

Greg

The Geneve memory mapper manipulates its memory map by plugging an 8-bit page number into one of 8 slots (corresponding to the 64K TI memory map). If the programmer uses a common paging routine, it's pretty simple to patch the routine to use the mapper. The rom would have to be loaded from a file into memory, which is how I accomplished mimic'ing one of your demos some time back. ;) So while it isn't quite running the cart as designed, it would be do-able, imho.

• Like 1