IGNORED

Built in Pokey?

SoundGammon

Would it be possible to put a Pokey chip into the 7800, maybe piggy-back it on to the Sally chip and "wire" it into the system?

Then all games that require the chip wouldn't need a special cart, especially the homebrews.

And maybe some of the early games like Asteroids, Centipede, Galaga and others could be reprogrammed for more enhanced sound!

• Like 2

But could that be wired to make it work for existing POKEY carts? I.e. could one take the POKEY out of Ballblazer, wire it into the 7800 with some clever circuitry and still have Ballblazer with POKEY sound?

If that can be done, it would be great as it would greatly lessen the need for POKEYs, the supplies of which are dwindling.

Or, if that is easier, maybe a piggyback POKEY cart into which game carts with POKEY support are inserted (like R-Time8 or SpartaDOS on the 8-bits)?

• Like 1

Yes, the internal POKEY would work the same way as the VersaBoard, original POKEY games would not be affected. This was achieved eons ago, by the X-Board, which also added bankswitched RAM.

Or, if that is easier, maybe a piggyback POKEY cart into which game carts with POKEY support are inserted (like R-Time8 or SpartaDOS on the 8-bits)?

Done that, cart edge connector is the problem. I've posted examples in the forums years ago, along with the proposed PCB to do just that.

The XM is what everyone needs.

• Like 3

Yes, the internal POKEY would work the same way as the VersaBoard, original POKEY games would not be affected. This was achieved eons ago, by the X-Board, which also added bankswitched RAM.

Found some info about the X-Board here but it seems to be no longer available. I suppose programs using POKEY would need to be patched to activate it and use the right address.

As for XM, I thought it was for NTSC units only.

Found some info about the X-Board here but it seems to be no longer available. I suppose programs using POKEY would need to be patched to activate it and use the right address.

As for XM, I thought it was for NTSC units only.

I have an xboard in my 7800. Froggie, Beefdrop and Donkey Kong XM all work with it as is.

• Like 3

I have an xboard in my 7800. Froggie, Beefdrop and Donkey Kong XM all work with it as is.

Lucky you ;)

I asked the original designer about availability without much hope.

I suppose there are no schematics around?

XM sounds great, but isn't that a much bigger and more expensive add-on? As long as both are unobtainium price doesn't matter much, though...

Edited by slx

I bought a boxed ballblazer (here in the UK) on Sunday for £13 and it HADN'T had the pokey stolen!

It got me thinking about why someone couldn't make up some sort of daughter board to go in the 7800, then I look on herer

and you guys are on it already!

Can someone not take up the XM and finish it off, sounds like we all need it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One thing I've been wondering about recently is if it's possible to make a Pokey piggy-back cartridge in which you plug the game cartridge into a pass-through slot on top of the Pokey cartridge with that plugged into the 7800. Kinda like the High Score cartridge.

That's pretty much what the XM is designed to be.

• Like 1