IGNORED

FlashAir Help Requested...

Omega-TI

I'm having issues getting my FlashAir to work...

I'm using Windows 7 and cannot seem to find the FlashAir on my network to actually use it. When I run the NirSoft Wireless Network Watcher it shows that the SD card in the FinalGROM 99 is indeed working, so it's not defective like I originally thought.

gallery_35324_1027_8556.jpg

Below is a copy of the CONFIG file that has gotten me this far thanks to digdugnate. :thumbsup:

[Vendor]
UPLOAD=1
UPDIR=/
CIPATH=/DCIM/100__TSB/FA000001.JPG
APPMODE=5
APPSSID=REDACTED
APPNETWORKKEY=REDACTED
APPAUTOTIME=0
APPNAME=FG99
PRODUCT=FG99
VENDOR=TOSHIBA
WEBDAV=2
DNSMODE=1
LOCK=1
APPINFO=0000000000000000
VERSION=FA9CAW3AW3.00.01
CID=REDACTED
MASTERCODE= <---- DO I NEED THIS?
[WLANSD]
ID=OMEGA
DHCP_Enabled=YES
IP_Address=
Subnet_Mask=
Default_Gateway=
Preferred_DNS_Server=
Alternate_DNS_Server=
Proxy_Server_Enabled=YES
Proxy_Server_Name=yourproxy.com <--- Do I need a proxy server?
Port_Number=8080

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? As you can tell, I'm no networking guru, but dang it, this configuration seems to be working fine for other people.

----------------------

NO proxy. (change 3 lines on your config for that)

Proxy_Server_Enabled=NO
Proxy_Server_Name=
Port_Number=
----------------------
Where is the device name ?? Maybe you need it, because of DNS services, or so
And it is NOT shown by the NirSoft Scanner....
----------------------
Is your DHCP-Server config correct ? Maybe set it manually to be sure
DHCP_Enabled=NO
IP_Address=192.168.0.33
Subnet_Mask=X.X.X.X (Maybe 255.255.255.0)
Default_Gateway=192.168.0.X (your routers address)
Preferred_DNS_Server=8.8.8.8 (use this Google-Server, or your Routers local IP- address - see ipconfig below)
Swap "X" with what your see on your PC, in a DOS-Box. Enter IPCONFIG /ALL there
----------------------
ID= (maybe use a number, not a name?) (NOT, if this is just your WLAN´s SSID, then it is OK) --> but isn´t, so just change it :)
----------------------
Is the referred .JPG present on the SD-card, or did you delete it ?
----------------------
LOCK=1 What is this ? Do you have a manual for the device ?
----------------------
Does your WLAN-Router "show" the SSID, or is it hidden ?
What does this device use ? WPA, WPA2, WEP ? Does your router support it ?
----------------------
APPNAME=FG99
PRODUCT=FG99
What were the original entries for that fields ?

Here's my CONFIG for station mode:

[Vendor]

CIPATH=/DCIM/100__TSB/FA000001.JPG
APPMODE=5
APPSSID=<your-wifi-network>
APPNETWORKKEY=<your-wifi-password>
APPNAME=FlashAir
VERSION=FA9CAW3AW3.00.01
CID=<redacted>
PRODUCT=FlashAir
VENDOR=TOSHIBA
LOCK=1
WEBDAV=2
TIMEZONE=-32
DNSMODE=1
APPAUTOTIME=300000

UPLOAD=1

Try the simplest configuration, and try changing things one at a time in case something goes wrong you'll know what triggered it.

Edited by PeteE
  • Like 2

so.. when i have mine configured with the config i shared with you privately i access it like a windows share

file manager then open network location \\192.168.0.177

(which is it's ip address)

Greg

Yeah, thanks Greg, I'll check it out again on Friday if it works (this time) I'll go with that. If not, I'll reformat and start over with PeteE's suggestion. If THAT does not work, I'll just give it up. I don't like having to mess with constant resets or having the extra stuff in the menu anyway. I have too much on my plate at the moment to do much more than check messages when I have a minute or two free.

• 1 month later...

I just got mine working. I used the software that it comes with. I have to say, it does not work like I thought. Not too disappointing because I have a working solution.

So I hope this information helps someone.

first, I downloaded the settings software and all the documentation. I can't go through all the steps I took because ti was a lo9t of jumping through hoops for me but generally speaking....

I did not know the only way to connect was via the card's Wifi AP. I cannot see the flashair if I am connected to my personal wifi AP. (I have the W-04 model).

So, for my desktop PC, I had to connect a USB Wifi card so I could connect my PC directly to the access point on the flashair.

I used the software for everything.

I read the docs. And I tried and tried again until I finally understood.

With the card plugged into a PC with Wifi, you run the setup software, and select the flashair drive settings options. Here is where you turn on the windows share thing. The setup software sets up a network shortcut to the folder you set in the configuration portion of the software.

So before i can alter the contents of the card when it is in my TI, i have to connect my PC to the FlashAir Wifi AP, then the network shortcut works. - This is described in the WebDav pdf.

i enable the internet pass through feature on the card (also via software) so that when i connect to the card's AP, i can retain my internet connection on my PC (since I have to disable my LAN connection).

Here is where I got the software...

http://www.toshiba-personalstorage.net/ww/support/download/flashair/w04/config02.htm

It certainly is not as straightforward as it can be. I really thought the card connects to my Wifi AP and shows up as a device on the network, that doesn't appear to be the case.

When i get my second card, I will do a step by step on setting it up from scratch out of the box. I may even do a video.

Hope this info helps for now.

flashair_drive_webdav.pdf

FlashAirsoftware.pdf

InitialSettings_sp.pdf

InitialSettings_win.pdf

InternetPassThru.pdf

WirelessDataTransfer.pdf

• Like 2

Well now I'm having all kinds of issues. I may need to contact Toshiba Tech Support. When trying to copy a bin to my flashair - I keep getting an error "Unable to read from source drive". There is no issues with my source drive. i can copy the file from my source drive to my NAS and any other drive letter without issue. Only get that error trying to copy it to the flashAir. So despite being configured properly and having access to see the files on the flashAir once connected to it, I can't copy to it. I'm now trying to copy from it and it's just sitting there. No, it's not protected (tab).

Edited by Sinphaltimus

I did not know the only way to connect was via the card's Wifi AP. I cannot see the flashair if I am connected to my personal wifi AP. (I have the W-04 model).

It can work both ways. 'station' mode has the card connect to wifi/router as a client, that's why you need to supply wifi credentials (APPSSID / APPNETWORKKEY) in the cards config.

Now as far as W-04 it may not work the same way as the W-03, which is why I cautioned people to get a W-03.

I do have a second one coming (my eldest didn't order it in time for Christmas delivery) - I'm going to document that 110% to the working state. Once I can confirm it works I'll try to setup this one the same. I can't understand what is going on now. Windows event viewer shows no issues with this. It copies files to and from without issue when connected directly to PC. This is just real weird. it worked fine yesterday.

I guess I thought it was working but apparently not - I don't understand - can any of you explainh this to me?

I was reading (very thoroughly) the manual and found this -

* CAUTION: With the FlashAir drive feature, you can only copy files in FlashAir™ to a PC. It cannot be used to copy files from a computer to a FlashAir™ card.
If you attempt to copy files from a computer to a FlashAir™ card, it will appear as if the files have been copied in Explorer (Finder), but the files will not actually have been copied to the FlashAir™ card.

so does this mean I do not need the "Drive" feature and will need to rely on the Web Browser to transfer files from PC to card?

(clicked HELP in the software)

Edited by Sinphaltimus

OK, not only are things working now but I have replaced the default website on the card - Basically you download the zip file from this website - https://mattshub.com/2017/04/11/flashair-sd-card/and extract the contents to your SD-WLAN folder.
the website link above explains a lot - A direct link the the ZIP file is here - https://mattharrisonblog.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/flashair-interface.zip

This is my config file below - ALL CAPS settings are custom to your environment. There should be no other lines in this config file, make sure yours matches exactly, delete any lines you have that are not below - Please make a backup..

So connect your flashAir to your PC, extract the zip file from the website above to the proper folder as mentioned and then edit your CONFIG to look just like this one except where noted - Keep in mind, this will connect your card to your own AP, I had to ping FG99 in order to get the IP address assigned via DHCP of your own AP. And I had to use the IP address in the web browser, not the name (DNS issue?) - but everything works and you can delete and upload to the card.

To transfer files you need to use a web browser -

[Vendor]

APPMODE=5

APPNAME=FG99 <-This is the name I assigned and pinged to get IP address, you can make this anything you want

APPSSID=<PUT YOUR WIFI SSID HERE>

APPNETWORKKEY=<PUT YOUR WIFI PW HERE>

APPAUTOTIME=0

UPDIR=/

UPLOAD=1

WEBDAV=2

VERSION=THIS IS A UNIQUE NUMBER for your device - LEAVE IT AS IS DO NOT ALTER

CID=THIS IS A UNIQUE NUMBER for your device - LEAVE IT AS IS DO NOT ALTER

PRODUCT=FlashAir

VENDOR=TOSHIBA

MASTERCODE=CUSTOM CODE YOU PUT HERE

Edited by Sinphaltimus
  • Like 1

I don't want to configure a static ip for it. My home network is a bit more complicated than most and assigning a static ip would require me making config changes to my juniper firewall appliance. Omega already responded that none of that works for him, so here is yet another thing to try. Works for me.

Yeah, that didn't work for me but I never went with the static ip setup. I had the homebrew, dev, etc.. Final grom folders in the root. I couldn't copy anything to them. The approach I used works great for me. A smoke url I can type in from any of my commuters without drive mappings.

• 4 weeks later...

Just circling back. My second FlashAir (gifted by one of my boys for Christmas) arrived here last week finally. I have to say, this is spoiling the heck out of me. It just serves to increase the slack factor by 10. No more plugging and unplugging anything on my consoles.

I had an issue with the second one and could not get it working no matter what i did even after duplicating the config on my first - in trouble shooting I noticed that the WiFi password in the plain text file was converted to al asterix. When I re-typed the password in plain text and saved, it started working again.

I can't help wonder if this might be part of Omega's issue? Omega, if/when you think you might want to give this a another go, PM me. I'll send you a zip of my exact config, you'll just need to change the SSID to your AP and replace the ****** with your PW then see if it works. My flashair cards are about 25 - 30 feet from my Ap and they both connect fine.

Edited by Sinphaltimus
  • Like 1

Omega, if/when you think you might want to give this a another go, PM me. I'll send you a zip of my exact config, you'll just need to change the SSID to your AP and replace the ****** with your PW then see if it works. My flashair cards are about 25 - 30 feet from my Ap and they both connect fine.

Yeah, I remember those asterisks, I pulled my hair out trying EVERYTHING. I'd like to get the config file from you, but the SD card is not currently in my possession. It's plugged into a SD based video player in a senior citizens house at the moment. When the time comes for me to swap out the videos for him, I suppose I can retrieve the SD card then and give it one last shot. -- Thanks.

Here is my SD_WLAN folder. Simply copy the contents into your SD_WLAN folder.

Things to EDIT in the config file:

APPNAME=

Mine is FG99a because my other is FG99b - this is the host name that will appear on your network so call it what you like.
APPSSID=

Mine is FEDCOMS1, that's the SSID of my AP so change it to yours.
APPNETWORKKEY=
Mine currently shows all ******, but put in your AP passkey here in plain text. Once it connects to your AP, it will change it to all ***** again.
MASTERCODE=
Whatever you want to enter here, just remember it if you need to use the FlashAir app for anything.

My SD_WLAN folder has the other webdav server in it, this allows easy browsing via web interface for doing file functions like upload, download and delete.

SD_WLAN.zip

Edited by Sinphaltimus
  • Like 1

I had an issue with the second one and could not get it working no matter what i did even after duplicating the config on my first - in trouble shooting I noticed that the WiFi password in the plain text file was converted to al asterix. When I re-typed the password in plain text and saved, it started working again.

After you set APPNETWORKKEY the first time the card reads it (and remembers it) and changes it back to all asterisks in the CONFIG file - this is a security measure and is expected behavior.

• Like 1

After you set APPNETWORKKEY the first time the card reads it (and remembers it) and changes it back to all asterisks in the CONFIG file - this is a security measure and is expected behavior.

I think my problem was - I didn't know that so I copied the config from one card to the other to get it online fast, then I was going to edit the name - but it didn't get online and I went troubleshooting elsewhere until I circled back to the config and noticed the line of *****.