Photo

Net Neutrality

60 replies to this topic

Poll: Net Neutrality (36 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you for or against "Net Neutrality"?

1. I'm for it! (26 votes [72.22%])

Percentage of vote: 72.22%

2. I'm against it! (10 votes [27.78%])

Percentage of vote: 27.78%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 marc.hull OFFLINE  

marc.hull

Stargunner

• 1,119 posts

Posted Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:22 PM

Just a figure of speech and I am sorry if I offended but the reality is if you don't like your circumstances then either make a change or accept your lot.

The world does not owe you any favors.

#52 Dripfree OFFLINE  

Dripfree

Moonsweeper

• 405 posts

Posted Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:34 PM

I want retro gaming neutrality. I'm sick of the fact that certain games and systems that I want are out of my price range or simply not available in my area. They should all be the same price and available to all...

I'm sure there is something the government can and should do to fix this problem of mine.

#53 SignGuy81 OFFLINE  

SignGuy81

Stargunner

• 1,135 posts

Posted Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:52 PM

This isn't like choosing your mechanic or any other service where you have many choices to choose from.

These companies knew fair well in advance when they got into the business that there can be stipulations put in place.  They don't own the cities, towns, etc. or even property they run their lines on.  If the government is going to grant them permission to place their utility lines, poles, equipment on public right of ways then the government in has a right to make rules they must follow, plain and simple.

Edited by SignGuy81, Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:56 PM.

#54 marc.hull OFFLINE  

marc.hull

Stargunner

• 1,119 posts

Posted Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:11 PM

This isn't like choosing your mechanic or any other service where you have many choices to choose from.

These companies knew fair well in advance when they got into the business that there can be stipulations put in place.  They don't own the cities, towns, etc. or even property they run their lines on.  If the government is going to grant them permission to place their utility lines, poles, equipment on public right of ways then the government in has a right to make rules they must follow, plain and simple.

Naahh. Your a p..p...... p........pretty interesting purson.

#55 1980gamer OFFLINE  

1980gamer

Dragonstomper

• 761 posts

Posted Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:15 PM

at least here in the north east.  Cable has regional monopolies.

I think some of the point of this is being missed completely.   It doesn't matter who you use for a provider.

At some point BACKBONE bandwidth is used between user and content.

The backbone provider cannot limit US at this point. 

It will not matter if you have T3 or dial up, Backbone providers could simply say, NO xyz traffic allowed or limit it at the very least.

Don't think of Verizon as a Phone, TV and Internet provider.   They have SO much more control over you than that.

Run a tracert to some of your favorite sites and any hop outside your provider is a potential bottleneck.

But remember, you have choices.  You can choose to read a book.  Not a Kindle type book,  a paper one! 

Seems netfiix  sees the writing on the wall and already bribed bent over for the backbone providers. 

Why would they do this if the BS wasn't right around the corner?   

#56 icemanxp300 ONLINE  

icemanxp300

River Patroller

• 3,708 posts

Posted Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:48 PM

Iceman

I'm just hearing a lot of me! me! me! from you. I actually do know someone who moved because the local internet services could not meet his buisness needs. People are moving right now so they can live somewhere they can smoke pot. Others are moving to get away from potheads. The scenarios you are describing are purely recreational. The idea that you think your scenario warents government intervention is ludicrous. If you want to make a convincing argument do not argue your personal circumstances.

Yes you are hearing a lot about me because I was told I had choices and I do not have choices, at least ones I consider choices. Plus my situation is the situation of many.

When I purchased my house I made sure it was cable accessible. I refuse to live in an area that offers shitty internet service. So yeah if I had to I would likely move too. However I shouldn't have too!

I never said I think anything deserves government intervention. I simply think things will get worse if net neutrality is taken away. Take away the government all you want I don't care. I do care about getting shittier service which cost me more because of those changes. 

#57 SignGuy81 OFFLINE  

SignGuy81

Stargunner

• 1,135 posts

Posted Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:51 PM

ISPs believe they are going to be charging websites for fast lanes if this happens and make lots of $$$.  You can block your website from an ISP.  So instead a big site might just say no thanks, and block all of that ISPs users from visiting their site or redirect them a page telling them to call their ISP and demand the site be in the fast lane. 

Regardless of whether it's highly popular sites that could do that, or others with megabucks to pay for the fast lanes, where does that leave the entrepreneur who wants to create the next big thing.  Sorry pal you're outta luck, you can't enjoy the freedom these big corporations had back before when they started back in internet's heday.  But hey you are so much smaller than me anyway you would've never made it because I'm so big I bought all competing startups out before they got big enough to compete with me and I would have most certainly done same with you.  Well, to bad for you because I don't even have to do that anymore so you're outta luck there too.  I don't even have to pay you because who's gonna visit your slow site(gotta admit it is better than mine, good thing I bought the government), the government has my back now.

Edited by SignGuy81, Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:56 PM.

#58 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

TI-Runner

• Topic Starter
  • 10,726 posts

Posted Fri Dec 1, 2017 12:05 PM

This topic is indeed a two sided coin from hell...

Government regulation has been known to stifle development and innovation.  Monopolies rarely focus on the consumer's needs or wants, but seem to focus mainly on the monetary aspects, like bill collection, stock/bond prices or lobbyist activities...like most entrenched bureaucracies.

Being totally unregulated would give major corporations who control so much of the information flow already the ability to deny access to some sources or extort people into paying more money for others.  This could potentially lead to reduced Internet activity, less commerce and an unknown effect on the economy. 

Nothing is perfect, nothing ever will be, but sometimes it can be wise to stick with what's working.  It it's not currently broken, why try to fix it and potentially ruin everything?

One thing is certain, we'll all see how it eventually plays out.   

#59 TheTIGuy OFFLINE  

TheTIGuy

Dragonstomper

• 530 posts
  • “cheap, fast, good – choose any two”

Posted Fri Dec 1, 2017 12:52 PM

Ok , fine.

Swiss Flag.gif

#60 JamesD OFFLINE  

JamesD

Quadrunner

• 7,867 posts

Posted Fri Dec 1, 2017 1:03 PM

Nothing is perfect, nothing ever will be, but sometimes it can be wise to stick with what's working.  It it's not currently broken, why try to fix it and potentially ruin everything?

Are you talking before or after the FCC got involved?

#61 MarkO OFFLINE  

MarkO

Dragonstomper

• 868 posts
  • Location:Albany, Oregon, USA, North Western Hemisphere, Planet Tera

Posted Tue Dec 5, 2017 4:44 PM

You are just unbelievable. Whether your signal travels through cellphone, tablet, or whatever else is really irrelevant. You are still using the same shitty wireless service.

<< BIG SNIP >

The ISPs in my area that offer this kind of service are using Point-to-Point Microwave with Fiber from the Towers to the ISP and then the Internet..

As an Individual User, you don't share the Bandwidth to the Tower, but do share it with all the other Point-to-Point Microwave Users to the ISP.

For areas not served with Coaxial Cable or Fiber, it's way better than DSL, or Cellular Systems..

MarkO

Edited by MarkO, Tue Dec 5, 2017 4:48 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users