IGNORED

Jaguar versions and manufacturers difference

Orionis5

I'm still new to Jaguar. I know they were manufactured by IBM and then also Comptronix. I know motherboards were K or M..and then revisions...but this does not tell me much.

I can not find differences between versions, so I can not decide which is better quality to get..M, K, Compotronix...I see on ebay that ibm manufactured are stated on box and later probably manufactured at Comptronix just made in America...

Anybody with experience in this ?

Thanks and BR, Luka

Apart from the support for analog controllers that only exists on the early US models (that's the ADC thing madman is mentioning above), there are no functional or quality differences between the models as far as I know. There are a few technical differences, but they're petty minor and only matter if you're actually developing a game.

Thank you for reply but as I can see, Atari Jaguar fall was so sudden that we have no official explanation on revision changes :)

The reason I was asking because I noticed different boxes on sale. Ones with US flag are probably made in Comptronix, the one without flag and just made in America (but written on back side Made in America by IBM).

Just wondering if any of these plants used different components especially capacitors, which are weakest poinst of our beloved legacy machines.

Edited by Orionis5

Just wondering if any of these plants used different components especially capacitors, which are weakest poinst of our beloved legacy machines.

Unlike some other consoles, capacitors problems are pretty rare on the Jaguar. In fact, if you exclude the JagCD, it's a pretty reliable machine in the long run.The only major weak point is the cart connector (bad connections and bent contacts).

Regarding the relationship between the serial number and the manufacturing plant, there are some details here: http://jaguar-64bit.pagesperso-orange.fr/Liens/500277ra.pdf

Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 1

You are right madman but then again when you read this it is different then talking about this...I'm not that occupied with this, just analysing since that is what I like to do with anything :))))

I already orded my first Jaguar and still waiting for shipping...and bofore it comes I know it is probably M (made in Comptronix).

I can now say that made in IBM are probably K. Still waiting for feedback from some sellers but until now this is result.

According to Zerosquare's post M is JVC ????:)) That would be new info for Jaguar history.

As for revisions I still can not say...

I actually enjoy doing this ;-) I'm support engineer and always analzye :))))

Edited by Orionis5

Unlike some other consoles, capacitors problems are pretty rare on the Jaguar. In fact, if you exclude the JagCD, it's a pretty reliable machine in the long run.The only major weak point is the cart connector (bad connections and bent contacts).

Regarding the relationship between the serial number and the manufacturing plant, there are some details here: http://jaguar-64bit.pagesperso-orange.fr/Liens/500277ra.pdf

I had seen that chart before and pulled my serial number. Does anything really matter on the age? On some systems people like to have the oldest or more original or serial #1 or whatever. I had been curious who might even have the oldest model here or what was considered to be the first one produced.

My model is M249001189 so based on the chart it is a JVC Macbashi Factory, made in September 1994 and unit #1189 produced I guess. Not sure if that is considered newer or older by other's standards or numbers they have.

• 4 months later...

I acquired a second Jaguar CIB yesterday and noticed a difference with the box and controller. My original one I have owned since 1995 has a glossier finish and the Cybermorph cart included portion printed in the upper right corner, it also came with a controller that has a thicker cable and gray keys. Also has an American flag and "made in the USA" In the upper left corner.

The one I snagged yesterday has a dimmer finish on the box, there is a sticker in the upper corner saying that Cybermorph is included, and the controller is the one with the black keys and the stiffer more clicky D-pad (which I don't actually like the feeling of personally) and also a thinner cable as well. It has pictures on the back of upcoming games for Tiny Toons and Aircars which is different than the ones on the back or my other console.

This was just something I noticed in my observations and thought it was weird the controller itself was different. I hadn't ever came across another Jaguar in person to see these differences. Not sure if that has to do with where the models were made or how old they were with the boxes being different. I know there is a Power Pack one as well. I don't know if there is any additional rarity in certain models or if any specific ones are more desireable? Again this is just an observation I had.

Edited by UHATEIT

That's the one I saw. I read about the different controllers and knew there was stiffer d-pad on the one with the black keys.

I thought the differences in box was odd. I even noticed the overlay for Cybermorph was glossy vs matte in my other one. I don't know what is the rarity in boxes and designs for the system out there. Perhaps it depends on the console inside of it and where it's made which will reference the type of box and controller you get. I was so used to my Jaguar I've had forever that now when I tried this new one I didn't like it!

My original Jaguar I got in 1995 on clearance at KayBee Toys had a sticker price for $29.99 and the one I just got yesterday has a $249.99 sticker from EB games on the front of it and he told me he got his in 1993. Based on price sticker I imagine it was older since it had the higher price. But per that guy's thread above about controllers it seemed like the ones with the thinner cord were revision 7 and 8 and made later in the production.

Makes me wonder what ones KayBee was selling were, were they ones that were old stock shipped to them directly from Atari as they were dumping them to liquidate and they had the thicker cord on it which matches with the earlier revisions he mentioned. Also my serial number is low and appears as if it was an earlier produced model as well.

These are interesting findings. I'd honestly be curious to hear from anyone on what the oldest produced model were based on serial numbers. Anyone here have model #1? :)

Edited by UHATEIT

I really doubt anyone cares about rarity levels of Jaguar system boxes. However, the rarest would have to be the Japanese AvP pack-in box, though AFAIK that's just a regular Jag box with a Japanese sticker in the upper right hand corner.

• Like 1