"1942" music from C64 (abridged)

4 replies to this topic

#1 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

River Patroller

• 4,038 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:15 AM

This is an abridged work-in-progress conversion of the Commodore 64 music from 1942 by Mark Cooksey.  The Commodore 64 is one of the only home computer conversions of the game which has music.

The C64 music is three minutes and four seconds long due to a LOT of repeated segments.  This skeletal release is not that long as it only has each segment play once, with a short repeat of the first couple of segments, and no segue from the full song end to beginning.  The final product will have some tremolo and vibrato in appropriate spots, and I have been working up new parts of my manipulation script to output VGM modules and data compatible with Tursi's VGMPlayer.  The script parts are not perfected yet but getting closer to producing usable output. :)

Anyway, I hope you enjoy my musical rendition.

1942 title music on TMS-9919

(newer version in later post)

Attached File  1942_parts1-2(nb)(abridged)(wip)(adj).mp3   967.69KB   26 downloads

Original C64 SID music (full length clipped at song repeat segue)

Attached File  1942(subtune_1).mp3   2.24MB   15 downloads

#2 Asmusr OFFLINE  

Asmusr

River Patroller

• 2,489 posts

Posted Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:45 AM

Very nice. So this is played using Tursi's VGM player?

#3 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,038 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:20 AM

Very nice. So this is played using Tursi's VGM player?

Thank you.  It is not, yet.  This is ISR format played by your SoundListRipper.  My Rexx script for manipulating sound list binaries now outputs VGM and VGMPlayer data, BUT so far neither produces working output (they are both quick-n-dirty write-ups.)  I will be working on them.

#4 Tursi OFFLINE  

Tursi

River Patroller

• 4,844 posts
  • HarmlessLion

Posted Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:35 PM

Sounding nice!

#5 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,038 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:23 PM

Thanks.  Here is another quick put-together.  I lengthened the song by adding another repeated middle and the last verse/segue with a full repeat.  I am done with it for now until I add a little more body.  It will definitely benefit from conversion as even with just the individual patterns it runs about 4k (soooo much repeated data.)

I will also increase attenuation a little.  Everything is "0" right now, and to avoid popping between notes I use 14 rather than 15.  This makes the space between notes a little fuller and gives an echo-like quality in some places.

Attached File  1942(nb)(abridged)(wip-IABCDABCDE)(adj).mp3   2.82MB   11 downloads

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users