IGNORED

SIO2SD and the Quintopus?

Larry

I spent a good part of yesterday trying to get my SIO2SD to work, without much success. I not only could not get it to work correctly, I couldn't get it to repeat from the controls. This is a V2.1 upgraded to V2.3. I know that it worked good in the past, although I haven't had it out in a couple of years.

So this morning, I decided to direct-connect the SIO2SD to the computer. I was using an Antonia upgraded 600XL, and originally thought it was some type of issue with it, but the culprit appears to be my Quintopus. Maybe voltage drop? This is the first issue that I've seen that I could trace to the Quintopus. I get things to repeat now, and they more-or-less follow the "docs". So I'm happy with that. Has anyone else seen odd behavior from their SIO2SD and traced the issues to a root cause?

Also, I can't get SIO2SD.XEX to work on my system. Is there more than one version of this and/or some docs? I always get "SIO ERROR" when I select a drive. Once upon a time, I remember this working. Maybe when I upgraded the firmware things went awry? Are older firmware versions kept somewhere? Edit: found older software at this page: http://sio2sd.gucio.pl/wiki/SoftwareAVR_en

The only other thing that I now really find annoying is the operation of those itty-bitty tactile switches. Way too close for my fingers. And this is a pet peeve of mine -- for probably another $1 (or less), the pcb could have been slightly larger to spread out the buttons so that they would be easier to press (especially when you need Shift + another key. For you folks with Lotharek's SIO2SD, do you find the operation of the switches acceptable? And since I am considering replacing this beast with one from Lotharek, are there any other issues that you see with his device?

-Larry

Hi Roy-

Thanks! The first of the files appears to be the same as the one I already had. What is the 2nd file -- do you know what the "fb" in the filename is?

The "Atari Software" page from the link above has the matching .xex files, so I downloaded the V2.2 xex file and it works fine. So now I'm just down to the tactile switches!

-Larry

FWIW, my SIO2USB flickers badly (the built in screen) when connected to my Quintopus. I stopped using it for fear it was going to blow up or something. I'd say there's a lack of voltage going on.

Good to see I'm not the only one. I really like the Q, so I'll probably end up powering the SIO2SD separately.

Has anyone else here used a separate +5V line to the SIO2SD?

-Larry

Good to see I'm not the only one. I really like the Q, so I'll probably end up powering the SIO2SD separately.

Has anyone else here used a separate +5V line to the SIO2SD?

-Larry

Larry,

If you have not got 8 drives to show up with your SIO2SD, can you try this file to see what it does for you..

sio225.xex

Good luck I get 8 drives with this file..

Yes my old one is by Pigula? I upgraded to version 2.5 so I could get 8 SIO drives. Never was able to upgrade to any of the version 3.x Flashing never took. Seems like I have had it for 8 or 9 years. I quit using it after I got the Sdrive NUXX and the mini SIO2SD By Panos.

I will post a picture tomorrow. Hopefully.

This SIO225.XEX mostly works, but not quite correctly. Looks to have been written for PAL, so not all of the screen lines are visible. And puts spurious characters on the screen. But it actually is functional. Does anyone know what these were written in? I would think assembler, but I noticed that one of the 2.5 versions (Mad Team, IIRC) says "rewritten in assembler." That seems to imply that the original was something other than assembler. So if it is compiled, it might be fixable by me -- maybe.

I will look on the internet about reprogramming the Atmega. Has anyone done it or can add anything about the process with the SIO2SD? And is the "....all.bin" file used for the complete program? I have a programmer that will do the Atmega32, so if that "...all.bin" file is used, I should be able to reprogram it.

-Larry

post-8008-0-43380100-1512041848.jpg

• Like 1

This SIO225.XEX mostly works, but not quite correctly. Looks to have been written for PAL, so not all of the screen lines are visible. And puts spurious characters on the screen. But it actually is functional. Does anyone know what these were written in? I would think assembler, but I noticed that one of the 2.5 versions (Mad Team, IIRC) says "rewritten in assembler." That seems to imply that the original was something other than assembler. So if it is compiled, it might be fixable by me -- maybe.

I will look on the internet about reprogramming the Atmega. Has anyone done it or can add anything about the process with the SIO2SD? And is the "....all.bin" file used for the complete program? I have a programmer that will do the Atmega32, so if that "...all.bin" file is used, I should be able to reprogram it.

-Larry

I don't see this with my SIO2SD and 800XL. Mostly clean screen and I see all the viewable.

post-10165-0-30834800-1512050250.jpg

My Sio2sd and the small thing to the side is a avrusb500 flasher for atmega32.

• Like 1

Mine is a little different. I don't have the 20-pin IC anywhere on my pcb. What is that chip on yours? I've seen pictures of several like yours.

My Atmega is an Atmega32 16PU 0641B. You indicated that you couldn't update yours past 2.5 -- did you use your programmer and wouldn't update or did you use the internal?

I'm going to plan on somehow updating mine to 2.5 for the next step.

-Larry

post-8008-0-07535600-1512057707.jpg

This is part of why I asked about the crystals on the pcb... to upgrade... If your SIO2SD doesn't already have a 14.31318 MHz crystal, you will need to replace the crystal and update the firmware. Otherwise you're stuck with "D1:-D4:" and a maximum speed of 51000 bps.

please understand there were 2 complete versions with revisions, to upgrade you had to make small mod and replace the crystal. If memory serves, and there was a step by step to do it.

http://sio2sd.gucio.pl/wiki/Hardware_en

is the only 3 versions (3rd a work in progress) and some revisions I am seeing at the moment, the changes might have been on wolfram fischer site. mghz

http://www.mega-hz.de/Angebote/angebote.html

I haven't looked lately but somewhere are the instructions to update and upgrade the sio2sd's and some notes to use different transistors to help lower the power consumption

could have sworn there was english versions but I can't find them, wolfram really moved the ball on a lot of projects, I don't think he got much credit. If you wander about his site... some links that are dead in one place work in another

http://www.mega-hz.de/Angebote/

some other sio2 stuff

https://sourceforge.net/projects/sio2sd/

choose another atmega

http://www.kernelcrash.com/blog/sio2sd-with-an-atmega328p/2016/10/16/

another that's arduino and this and that all rolled into a microsd version (early)

https://diskwiz.wordpress.com/sio2microsd/

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the links -- will check them out! Yes, I have the 14.3xxx crystal on mine. It's default is at Pokey 6 -- 68Kbs. IIRC.

Thanks again for the info. Every bit helps!

-Larry

Edit: Looking at the pcb layouts, looks like mine is a V1, but with the crystal upgraded to 14.3 MHz instead of 7.32.

• Like 1

@Larry asked?

What is that chip on yours? I've seen pictures of several like yours.

My 20 pin chip IC is 74HC245. Originally with 74LS245 but problems with it and seller suggested I put in the 74HC245 because it is a faster chip.

I always tried upgrading with button selection except for when I flashed to get the correct fuse setting....BROWN OUT failures.

I'll keep that in mind, but I'm running firmware 2.2/2.3. If I use the xex file that corresponds, everything looks normal. It is when I use 2.5 xex with 2.2/2.3 firmware that the screen issues show up. And when I use the "alt 2.5P" the screen is fine, but the keyboard doesn't respond. What firmware are you running and what xex paired with it? BTW, the auto spell corrector insists that an xex file is a sex file. Gotta love these things...

Larry

I'm using the selectable boot image on the one... You just pick from the list... and run the one you want at that moment. works fine.

I have updated to each one in the full course of time....to whatever the latest flavor was. I even put on the alternative firmware at on point so I could have the full range of drives... not even sure the computer I downloaded those on even works or hasn't been recycled yet, the wife has a funny way of cleaning up x86 machines and toasted lcd monitors. When they run the free household hazardous waste drive the strangest things poof disappear. I have two left that still need a re-flashing though, They work fully but won't update via the SD card... the bar grows but nothing happens... I have to use pony prog and a parallel cable hack to do it. That's all on AA somewhere. The two being silly didn't have the correct Fuse bits set, and had crappy wiring, a recurring theme for these things. Don't know how many have needed to redone but it's too many...

Found a promising search term -- "sio2sd firmware". I kept trying "update....", and that didn't produce useful results. I've got a programmer, so hopefully that will solve my update problem and that in turn take care of the screen issues.

Edit: Progress! Got it updated to V2.5 firmware. Operator Error -- I had left an extra "." in the BIN filename. Fixed that and it updated just fine from the config menu.

Display. Tried a bunch of things, and neither of the 2.5 XEX files display properly. Interestingly, in addition to the display discrepancies, each key must be pressed twice to get a response. I've never seen that one before.

But... I found that the 2.2/2.3 XEX which displays properly (it doesn't try to use too many scan lines for my display) can display drives 5-8. By default, it displays 1-4, but if I press 5, then it displays 5-8. I think I can live with that. It looks like from the Source Forge files that the regular 2.5 XEX and it's brother 2.25 are written in C, so fixing it may be possible for me. But in the meantime, the 2.2/2.3 XEX is usable. BTW, the 2.5 & 2.25 XEX files display 28 lines of what appears to be regular Gr.0 text. That's a lot of lines for NTSC and appears at least one too many for my ATI AIW capture display. Kind of the same issue as the XEP80.

Thanks for the help and suggestions -- I do appreciate it!

-Larry

• Like 1

Here's a case for the original 2+3 button versions if anyone is interested:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-for-Atari-SIO2SD-2-3-button-rear-SD-version/172862827191?hash=item283f6d6ab7:g:9FkAAOSwRFdZuDPA

$25 + modest shipping, for a 3D printed case. I'll post about my results when I get the one I just ordered. I asked for what I thought were the critical dimensions of the case, and a few were off by .5 - 1 mm, but everything looked like it would fit.

-Larry