Photo

replacing LED in 99/4a black/silver

10 replies to this topic

#1 digdugnate OFFLINE  

digdugnate

Dragonstomper

• 724 posts

Posted Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:42 AM

After 36 years of valiant service, the LED power indicator in my 4A has gone kaput.   

Here's my question for the more electronically-minded folks- is it easy to replace the LED in the console?  I'm thinking all you do is desolder the old one and put the new one in its place.

I have a bunch of 5 mm LEDs from a project of my daughter that are 20ma, 3V-3.2V according to the package.  Will these work?

If it is "that easy" I'll need to find someone with a soldering iron.

Thanks in advance!

#2 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

River Patroller

• 4,069 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:00 AM

Yes.  Very.

#3 Pepper OFFLINE  

Pepper

Space Invader

• 17 posts

Posted Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:37 PM

Here's my question for the more electronically-minded folks- is it easy to replace the LED in the console?  I'm thinking all you do is desolder the old one and put the new one in its place.

I have a bunch of 5 mm LEDs from a project of my daughter that are 20ma, 3V-3.2V according to the package.  Will these work?

Yes, just make sure you get the polarity correct. At the bottom of the plastic part of the LED there is a flat. This corresponds to the the Cathode (-) lead. Make sure you place this in the same orientation as the current LED. 

If you can't find a flat on the LED, you can also look inside the LED. One leg looks like a post (+) and the negative side is much bigger. You can match to the current LED.

#4 digdugnate OFFLINE  

digdugnate

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 724 posts

Posted Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:27 PM

Yes, just make sure you get the polarity correct. At the bottom of the plastic part of the LED there is a flat. This corresponds to the the Cathode (-) lead. Make sure you place this in the same orientation as the current LED. 

If you can't find a flat on the LED, you can also look inside the LED. One leg looks like a post (+) and the negative side is much bigger. You can match to the current LED.

very cool info. thank you!

#5 save2600 OFFLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 14,420 posts

Posted Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:28 AM

Don't know why exactly, but the color changing LED's are very popular with console gamers today. Or super blinding bright blue... blech. A color changing LED came with a video mod I purchased for the Atari 7800 recently, figured what the heck and threw it in. Used the old Atari red LED in my Final Grom99. :lol:

Maybe you could get one of those super bright color changing LED's for your TI... you know, to make it a little more psychedelic. Seems to be all the rage. lol

#6 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

Stargunner

• 1,958 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:26 AM

After 36 years of valiant service, the LED power indicator in my 4A has gone kaput.   

Thanks in advance!

Super easy.  as stated verify polarity.  I used a cool bright blue in mine when i replaced them.  Same ones i used to replace in my modded cards.  don't have a pic of the 4A, but here is one of a FDC i did.

Attached Files

• Attached File  FDC7.jpg   157.37KB   1 downloads

#7 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

River Patroller

• 4,069 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:48 AM

Don't know why exactly, but the color changing LED's are very popular with console gamers today. Or super blinding bright blue... blech. A color changing LED came with a video mod I purchased for the Atari 7800 recently, figured what the heck and threw it in. Used the old Atari red LED in my Final Grom99. :lol:

Maybe you could get one of those super bright color changing LED's for your TI... you know, to make it a little more psychedelic. Seems to be all the rage. lol

Yeah, those color-changing LEDs are popping up everywhere and I really dislike them.  When I replace LEDs I prefer the more subdued blue ones, though in my PEB they are the brighter water-clear ones.

The Sega Genesis Flashback controllers come with activity indicator LEDs... bright blue ones that flash in your eyes while you play.  Yeah, I will be replacing those with much dimmer ones.

#8 dphirschler OFFLINE  

dphirschler

Moonsweeper

• 395 posts

Posted Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:39 PM

Super easy to replace.  I'd say the main thing to look out for is leave the leads long enough to you can bend it just right.

Darryl

#9 digdugnate OFFLINE  

digdugnate

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 724 posts

Posted Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:37 PM

coolness :)  ive got some cool colors to pick from- i think the package we bought for her had orange, red, green, blue, pink, UV(!), and 'transparent'.  

sounds like i have a project!

#10 Pepper OFFLINE  

Pepper

Space Invader

• 17 posts

Posted Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:54 PM

coolness :)  ive got some cool colors to pick from- i think the package we bought for her had orange, red, green, blue, pink, UV(!), and 'transparent'.  

sounds like i have a project!

I happened to have a PSU that needed the LED replaced. So I made a terrible video showing the replacement. My mic was apparently not working, so there's no audio. I will add that later.

https://youtu.be/Ztcp4WSLvrE

#11 dphirschler OFFLINE  

dphirschler

Moonsweeper

• 395 posts

Posted Sun Dec 3, 2017 3:47 PM

Also (assuming you haven't already done the mod), check this thread. 

http://atariage.com/...d/?hl= led mod

It's a beige console, but the power supplies are the same.  Pretty good pics in the thread.

Darryl

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users