Photo

HSC Season 9 - Game 2 - Shark! Shark!

58 replies to this topic

#26 crade OFFLINE  

crade

Chopper Commander

• 109 posts

Posted Fri Dec 1, 2017 10:06 PM

I have never tried this game before..  Not really my kind of game it takes too long to get challenging.. also apparently I'm no good at it :)  I love how the manual describes the speeds as

"very slow, slow, medium slow and normal"

Attached Thumbnails

• shark_shark.jpg

#27 mr_me OFFLINE  

mr_me

River Patroller

• 2,646 posts

Posted Sat Dec 2, 2017 5:33 AM

That's a good way to describe Intellivision games that are speed based. The slower speeds are simply achieved by the Intellivisions' internal function that lowers the frame rate. These games are designed for normal "disc" speed. Other speeds aren't necessarily easier, just slower. People who don't know often start games by pressing "1" and play at a slower speed. You should always start games like this by pressing the "disc".

After 50k ,
It shark get stupid after that. (Crazy Shark)

Lol

After 50k? I wonder if your version is different, because when I played the game some years ago in the challenge the shark went crazy at around 100k.

The shark probably gets more aggressive at 50k, but that also makes it easier to kill. At 100k, or is it 90k, the shark becomes very tough to kill and chases you around the screen. Use the "dart" function to get away; any keypad button darts. Dart can also help kill the shark especially with the first bite. Like Ignorama said, collect as many lives as you can before 100k or 90k. After killing the shark is a good time to get the lobster.

Edited by mr_me, Sat Dec 2, 2017 5:56 AM.

#28 m-crew OFFLINE  

m-crew

River Patroller

• 4,509 posts

Posted Sat Dec 2, 2017 6:05 AM

I have never tried this game before..  Not really my kind of game it takes too long to get challenging.. also apparently I'm no good at it :)  I love how the manual describes the speeds as
"very slow, slow, medium slow and normal"

Crade this is a great score for the first time playing it...!!! lol I really sucked at it the first time I tried.. lol

#29 m-crew OFFLINE  

m-crew

River Patroller

• 4,509 posts

Posted Sat Dec 2, 2017 6:08 AM

That's a good way to describe Intellivision games that are speed based. The slower speeds are simply achieved by the Intellivisions' internal function that lowers the frame rate. These games are designed for normal "disc" speed. Other speeds aren't necessarily easier, just slower. People who don't know often start games by pressing "1" and play at a slower speed. You should always start games like this by pressing the "disc".

The shark probably gets more aggressive at 50k, but that also makes it easier to kill. At 100k, or is it 90k, the shark becomes very tough to kill and chases you around the screen. Use the "dart" function to get away; any keypad button darts. Dart can also help kill the shark especially with the first bite. Like Ignorama said, collect as many lives as you can before 100k or 90k. After killing the shark is a good time to get the lobster.

I also notice that the Shark comes out and acts in three different actions .. Youll notice the pattern by watching what the shark does when it comes on screen and not touched...

#30 Ignorama OFFLINE  

Ignorama

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,739 posts

Posted Sat Dec 2, 2017 8:33 AM

The shark is pretty predictable. When he changes the direction, he also turns around with his head. Its pretty easy to kill him by just swimming up and down, waiting for his moves. And exactly that is what changes in the late game. He turns around way too fast to react and sometimes doesnt even turn around, which makes it impossible to predict him safely. So while I try to kill as many sharks as possible in the first 100k points, I really try to get away from him and eat small fishes for the rest of the game.

#31 crade OFFLINE  

crade

Chopper Commander

• 109 posts

Posted Sat Dec 2, 2017 8:49 AM

Crade this is a great score for the first time playing it...!!! lol I really sucked at it the first time I tried.. lol

Had to try several times to get that score! :)  The first time I was trying to figure out how to play and why my fish kept flashing.  I didn't know there was a dart feature though, I will have to try that one

#32 Ignorama OFFLINE  

Ignorama

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,739 posts

Posted Sat Dec 2, 2017 10:48 AM

This time I had the time to finish it and I had 80 lifes to spare. I am not very satisfied with my endgame, but in fact the game really changes there extremely and just says "no no no dude, enough is enough".

Its hard to believe for me as well, but its as it was back then. Just a insane new difficulty.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC03254.JPG

Edited by Ignorama, Sat Dec 2, 2017 10:49 AM.

#33 m-crew OFFLINE  

m-crew

River Patroller

• 4,509 posts

Posted Sat Dec 2, 2017 2:50 PM

This time I had the time to finish it and I had 80 lifes to spare. I am not very satisfied with my endgame, but in fact the game really changes there extremely and just says "no no no dude, enough is enough".

Its hard to believe for me as well, but its as it was back then. Just a insane new difficulty.

80 lives at 100 000 and you scored just over 3 k with 80 lives. Wow it must become just crazy

#34 alpha_male OFFLINE  

alpha_male

Space Invader

• 21 posts

Posted Mon Dec 4, 2017 8:03 AM

20171203 113651

Getting better at this game a little bit at a time...

#35 Intymike OFFLINE  

Intymike

River Patroller

• 2,839 posts

Posted Mon Dec 4, 2017 1:59 PM

Improved my score today.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5074.JPG

#36 S.BAZ OFFLINE  

S.BAZ

River Patroller

• 2,491 posts

Posted Mon Dec 4, 2017 8:48 PM

Shark Shark (Intv) 77050 best.jpg

#37 m-crew OFFLINE  

m-crew

River Patroller

• 4,509 posts

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 5:48 PM

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2993.JPG

#38 m-crew OFFLINE  

m-crew

River Patroller

• 4,509 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 4:55 PM

Man that shark does not want me to break the 100k mark.
100 points better this time. Lol

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2995.JPG

Edited by m-crew, Thu Dec 7, 2017 5:03 PM.

#39 Gernot OFFLINE  

Gernot

Moonsweeper

• 336 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 8:05 PM

crade, reading manuals isn't a bad idea

yes i know you don't have to tell this a 50 year old gamer how urgent it can be to play a game for 4 hrs and not using 10mins to read the manual, "oh dammit i didn't knew"

edit: i was wrong, you can use all keypad keys

Spoiler

a score i will post probably tomorrow

Besides here's the Manual especially for crade to read.

(how to catch a crab, to be honest i haven't read it myself since 30 years, but really it's this way if you like to get really good in any game you have to read it)

Attached File  Shark! Shark!.pdf   2.7MB   14 downloads

Edited by Gernot, Thu Dec 7, 2017 8:26 PM.

#40 crade OFFLINE  

crade

Chopper Commander

• 109 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 9:00 PM

I can't read and I'm very sensitive about it if you don't mind!

#41 crade OFFLINE  

crade

Chopper Commander

• 109 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 11:11 PM

Managed to improve a bit, but hit a wall

Attached Thumbnails

• shark_shark_2.jpg

#42 crade OFFLINE  

crade

Chopper Commander

• 109 posts

Posted Fri Dec 8, 2017 2:29 PM

finally got a good run in

Attached Thumbnails

• shark_shark_3.jpg

#43 crade OFFLINE  

crade

Chopper Commander

• 109 posts

Posted Fri Dec 8, 2017 5:17 PM

A little bit further

Attached Thumbnails

• shark_shark_4.jpg

#44 m-crew OFFLINE  

m-crew

River Patroller

• 4,509 posts

Posted Fri Dec 8, 2017 6:28 PM

Its tough to add to your score once you hit 90k , Ive been hitting that mark plus or minus most games I play but to add to my high score its like baby steps.. I was lucky to add 100 points last time.. That's what makes Ignorama's high score that more incredible in my opinion.. but im sure a double acting controller would help.. you wont need to let go of the disk to dart away from the shark or...

#45 S.BAZ OFFLINE  

S.BAZ

River Patroller

• 2,491 posts

Posted Fri Dec 8, 2017 7:09 PM

none of the keys are giving me any result.  I have not yet learned how to dart.

#46 Ignorama OFFLINE  

Ignorama

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,739 posts

Posted Fri Dec 8, 2017 7:58 PM

1, 2, 3. These are the boost-buttons.

#47 crade OFFLINE  

crade

Chopper Commander

• 109 posts

Posted Fri Dec 8, 2017 8:06 PM

Its tough to add to your score once you hit 90k , Ive been hitting that mark plus or minus most games I play but to add to my high score its like baby steps.. I was lucky to add 100 points last time.. That's what makes Ignorama's high score that more incredible in my opinion.. but im sure a double acting controller would help.. you wont need to let go of the disk to dart away from the shark or...

Trying to release the disc and give it enough time before the dash is part of the game though!

#48 crade OFFLINE  

crade

Chopper Commander

• 109 posts

Posted Fri Dec 8, 2017 8:07 PM

1, 2, 3. These are the boost-buttons.

Actually all the keypad buttons seem to work for dash.  You have to not be touching the disc at all though when you dash or it won't do anything

#49 m-crew OFFLINE  

m-crew

River Patroller

• 4,509 posts

Posted Sat Dec 9, 2017 5:39 AM

Actually all the keypad buttons seem to work for dash.  You have to not be touching the disc at all though when you dash or it won't do anything

I would love to try to play this game with a double action controller which would allow you to dash with the disc is being used... That was the point I was trying to make. :)

#50 mr_me OFFLINE  

mr_me

River Patroller

• 2,646 posts

Posted Sat Dec 9, 2017 7:32 AM

The key is getting as many extra lives as possible before 90k; 100+ lives is possible. You should be able to get a couple hundred points or more per life at this point and get scores over 120k.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users