IGNORED

Champ Games - Mappy - 2600

johnnywc

Received my copy from the AA store today. Probably the nicest presentation of any homebrew I own -- super high quality box, manual, poster, insert, and cart.

As others have noted, the game itself is phenomenal. It looks and runs great on my S-Video modded 7800 and Sony PVM!

Glad your package arrived safely and that you're enjoying Mappy! And, yes, S-Video with a high-quality CRT is the best way to go!

Please feel free to leave a review in the store. :)

https://www.atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1171

..Al

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I love playing Mappy on any platform and i'd really like to feel this port's gameplay.

Any idea when the final version ROM will be available?

Will a PC emulator play it? (as it was said incompatible with Stella at a time in this thread).

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

I love playing Mappy on any platform and i'd really like to feel this port's gameplay.

Any idea when the final version ROM will be available?

Will a PC emulator play it? (as it was said incompatible with Stella at a time in this thread).

Thanks in advance.

Hello! The final ROM will most likely be released in a few months. The gameplay has not changed much since the last public ROM from 6/6 (most of the changes since then were for menus, options, etc.) so it should be a very good example of how the final version plays. :)

It is also compatible with the latest version of Stella as of version 5.0.2 (6.0 is the latest version).

Here is a link for the build from June 6th.. have fun!

• Like 4

How does this work exactly? Is the final rom not the rom on current carts? Will newer carts get the final rom? I had this same question for the game ladybug since the video on the cart page shows an older rom than the one posted public.

@keebz : As said in some previous posts, the final version is on the cart release.

And it will be made available as ROM file download in a future time.

(what i wanted to know was "when" - that is still undefined)

@johnnywc : OK thanks for the hints, i'll try that version already then. icon_smile.gif

Edited by dma
  • Like 1

I had this same question for the game ladybug since the video on the cart page shows an older rom than the one posted public.

Videos for the store are sometimes done before the game is completed. Unfortunately, YouTube doesn't let you update old videos, you can only delete them - losing comments, views, and changing the links. The carts always have the final ROMs.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Doesn't work in android :(

Mappy uses CDF, a new bankswitch scheme that we developed in 2017. This blog entry from March talks about why we developed it, followed by this from April which talks about a new FastJump feature, and finally this from August discusses a fix required for finicky 7800 systems broke compatibility with earlier versions of CDF.

As such you need to use at least version 5.0.2 of Stella, which was released in August 2017.

Doesn't work in android :(

If your Android device has a very new, fast ARM, you can put the Mappy .bin file on a cloud drive, then try this browser 2600 Emulator.

https://6502ts.github.io/stellerator/#/cartridge-manager

Yes it has rudimentary (crappy) touch screen controls, but at least you can experience it a little as a last option ( before using a PC MAC or Linux with Stella 5.0.2 or later), or buying the real cart or Harmony Flash cart or Uno Flash Cart and real 2600.

Double tapping upper left goes full screen.

The button area is bottom left, joystick area right side.

Hope this was helpful.

If your Android device has a very new, fast ARM, you can put the Mappy .bin file on a cloud drive, then try this browser 2600 Emulator.

https://6502ts.github.io/stellerator/#/cartridge-manager

Yes it has rudimentary (crappy) touch screen controls, but at least you can experience it a little as a last option ( before using a PC MAC or Linux with Stella 5.0.2 or later), or buying the real cart or Harmony Flash cart or Uno Flash Cart and real 2600.

Double tapping upper left goes full screen.

The button area is bottom left, joystick area right side.

Hope this was helpful.

I play with Stella 6 in windows and works, but I have an android TV with an android 6 and doen't works.

Has anyone tried the game on some modern android?

Stella 6 (nor v5 or v4 for that matter) is not available on Android. I believe the most up-to-date version is 3.9. So until someone updates Android for a newer Stella, this ROM will never work. It's not a matter of a 'modern' Android; none of them have anything beyond Stella 3.

Mappy runs on my android phone as well as draconian and wizard of wor arcade. 2600.emu for android runs off android 5.1.1 as where the stella plugin for Retroarch is a lower version like 3.1 or something. I play those games on my phone before I got a harmony cart. I had a s7 edge before and now on a Note 9 if that helps.

Hmm, didn't realize that any Android was running above 3.x. If it's running 5.1.1, then it may even be able to run 6.0 (which has better sound). Of course someone has to port it, but if someone managed to get 5.1 there, going to 6.x shouldn't be too hard.