Photo

Mappy

166 replies to this topic

#151 imstarryeyed OFFLINE  

imstarryeyed

Moonsweeper

• 401 posts

Posted Mon Apr 9, 2018 4:11 PM

That release looks so tight and better than the last in so many ways!

Keep up the amazing work that is being made there what a great release this is going to be.

#152 Tangentg OFFLINE  

Tangentg

Moonsweeper

• 394 posts

Posted Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:12 PM

You even included the opening cutscene that was omitted from the NES port? wow..

#153 iesposta OFFLINE  

iesposta

River Patroller

• 3,622 posts
  • Retro-gaming w/my VCS

Posted Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:54 PM

You even included the opening cutscene that was omitted from the NES port? wow..

Johnny has all the scenes including the introduction, they were just removed to squeeze the music in. 

It would be easy if this bank switching had 64K, but he thinks he can get it all in 32K --  that's kind of a fun thing to do.

IMG_3350.JPG

#154 Csonicgo OFFLINE  

Csonicgo

River Patroller

• 2,788 posts
  • OPL Goddess

Posted Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:26 PM

The more I see homebrew like this the more I believe that Jay Miner was a genius and deserves the video game equivalent of sainthood.

You could have told me this was an ATARI 7800 game, and I would have believed you without giving it a gram of thought. It's just that good.

#155 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

Thrust, Jammed, SWOOPS!, Boulder Dash, THREE·S, Star Castle

• 23,090 posts
  • Always left from right here!

Posted Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:36 PM

The more I see homebrew like this the more I believe that Jay Miner was a genius and deserves the video game equivalent of sainthood.

Don't forgot to worship e.g. Sophie Wilson too. ;)

#156 Csonicgo OFFLINE  

Csonicgo

River Patroller

• 2,788 posts
  • OPL Goddess

Posted Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:47 PM

Don't forgot to worship e.g. Sophie Wilson too. ;)

I can't imagine how it would feel to know your life's work is in everything from phones to thermostats.

Back on the game though, is there a way to get a "ballpark figure" of a typical game frame in terms of CPU logic, time spent drawing, etc? I bet it has been a tight fit! 

#157 iesposta OFFLINE  

iesposta

River Patroller

• 3,622 posts
  • Retro-gaming w/my VCS

Posted Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:04 PM

I can't imagine how it would feel to know your life's work is in everything from phones to thermostats.

Back on the game though, is there a way to get a "ballpark figure" of a typical game frame in terms of CPU logic, time spent drawing, etc? I bet it has been a tight fit! 

ARM chip maker. Wow, really everything.

My friends will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm good at music, sound, speech, sprites, layout, but not the game programming logic.

But I will rant, if you care to read. :D

What I know about the game frame is in a reply I made to the last youtube video.

"Sorcery, yes. But really a slight improvement on the helper chip found in Activision's Pitfall 2 cart, with the leftover 15% of the ARM processor cycles doing game logic. Carts are made from cheaper 70MHz ARM processors pretending to be ROM and RAM, instead of a more expensive ROM chip or EPROM chip (plus adding RAM to a game would need an old chip scavenged out of old carts or hardware). The 2600 still only has 76 cycles per scan line to draw the display, sound, and the rest, from its 1.19MHz 6507 computer."

SpiceWare wrote it exact in a reply that I don't remember exactly, but say a single line color player took 13 (?) cycles of the scan line to draw originally, the DPC in Pitfall II brought that down to 10 (?) cycles, and the DPC+ and the new CDF bank-switch bring that down to 5 (?) cycles per scan line. Something like that.

Really that's all it is, plus brilliant coding, optimizing, compressing, that does things just a little bit faster.

It all adds up to making the 2600 do things that doesn't seem possible.

Bus Stuffing is the most extreme fast way to put values, because it is literally forcing a value on to the path that goes to the chips that do 2600 things, instead of 10's of cycles to get a value there.

Atari developed and tested this and Bus Stuffing was to be used for their computer add-on that never was made and would have fit the 6-switch, 4-switch, and Vader style systems. It would have used a faster processor and more RAM and just forced or Bus Stuffed its code, kind of like stepping on top of the 2600's 6507.

Development backed away when it was shown to not work consistently on the many, many Atari 2600's & 7800's made over its 13-years of production, and the fact that CDF is almost as fast.

Someone is still working on Bus Stuffing, running a check and test and configuring it to work on more systems.

That along with larger ROM sizes (64K, 128K, 512K, 1MB?) will allow things like higher fidelity samples, and more graphics and animation, and games and demos we haven't even dreamed up yet.

#158 Csonicgo OFFLINE  

Csonicgo

River Patroller

• 2,788 posts
  • OPL Goddess

Posted Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:39 PM

Someone is still working on Bus Stuffing, running a check and test and configuring it to work on more systems.

That along with larger ROM sizes (64K, 128K, 512K, 1MB?) will allow things like higher fidelity samples, and more graphics and animation, and games and demos we haven't even dreamed up yet.

Holy smokes. This sounds *very* promising.

#159 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

Thrust, Jammed, SWOOPS!, Boulder Dash, THREE·S, Star Castle

• 23,090 posts
  • Always left from right here!

Posted Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:13 AM

You are aware that her work is in Mappy too? 

#160 4ever2600 OFFLINE  

4ever2600

Dragonstomper

• 711 posts

Posted Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:18 PM

Mappy translates to mouse. Why not make that the English translation?

#161 4ever2600 OFFLINE  

4ever2600

Dragonstomper

• 711 posts

Posted Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:20 PM

Mouse. I like that.

#162 Machine OFFLINE  

Machine

Moonsweeper

• 411 posts

Posted Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:34 PM

Truly amazing work!

Can I bribe you to get my initials in the default hi-score?

#163 iesposta OFFLINE  

iesposta

River Patroller

• 3,622 posts
  • Retro-gaming w/my VCS

Posted Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:43 PM

Maybe because this is maximum strange?

IMG_1479.PNG IMG_1478.PNG

#164 johnnywc OFFLINE  

johnnywc

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,706 posts

Posted Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:07 PM

Truly amazing work!

Thanks!

Can I bribe you to get my initials in the default hi-score?

Good idea!

I've been considering having a contest of some sorts to have the default 5th high score initials be given to one lucky winner. The other 4 will be reserved for the development team. :)

#165 ColecoGamer OFFLINE  

ColecoGamer

Moonsweeper

• 366 posts

Posted Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:18 PM

When will pre-orders open for Mappy? I want to own this game on cartridge badly!

#166 kdgarris OFFLINE  

kdgarris

Moonsweeper

• 274 posts

Posted Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:46 PM

The Mappy wikipedia page says that the name "Mappy" probably comes from mappo, which is Japanese slang for policeman.  So - I don't think calling it "cop" or the like would quite cut it.  :)

#167 digdugnate OFFLINE  

digdugnate

Stargunner

• 1,230 posts

Posted Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:02 PM

When will pre-orders open for Mappy? I want to own this game on cartridge badly!

i know, right?!?  i sooooo can't wait to slide that bad boy into my 2600...

....er....

looking forward to the cart :)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users