IGNORED

Channel F Console Issue

Tombstone

I have a Channel F that will occasionally operate just fine. Most of the time, however, i get a garbled screen. The garbled screen looks very much like when you have your tv on the wrong channel and you can "sort of" see the desired screen within the wavy lines. The game is on and i can start it and hear the proper sounds, but the screen is just bad. Any ideas? I have tried three different Rf cords with the same result. When the console does work it stays working until i turn it off at the switch. If i immediately try to switch it back on it is hit or miss whether i get a good screen again. I notice that if i use the reset button when it is working the reset works fine and the screen stays clear everytime.

Any help would be appreciated.

I had the Channel F 2 years ago, it didn't have a regular RF modulator but had this UHF type prong deal off one end, wire to the system on the other, and a TV <-> GAME slider on the thing. Is that what you're using and you have more than one or something else? It seems to me if the system itself was dying it wouldn't kind of choose when to work, and not also be chill about the on system reset leaving it working just fine either.

• Like 1

So after pulling and reseating the three main ICs there was no difference in how the console was reacting when turned on. However, after adjusting the Rf Modulator adjustment "screw" I appear to have a consistent picture. The inital picture seems to have very slight garbling, but when it is reset it always resets to a clear white screen withe the G? prompt. Crossing my fingers that this is an easy fix. Wish I had better electronic skills and those that do are probably cringing at my descriptions, but maybe this will get this old machine up and running again.

The G prompt for some reason I think from rotten fuzzy memory is a normal operation of it. I think it means it's looking for a game (G?) when that is there.

Yes, that is exactly what I wanted to see on the screen. Issue appears to be resolved. Fires up every time now. Thanks for all your help folks.

• Like 1

What was the issue? RF modulator out of tune?

Yes, you nailed it! Thanks a million. Now I have a Slot Machine cart that is not behaving. It won't consistently seat/lock when inserted into the console. I don't see any obvious differences in the case compared to the other carts. When it does seat it wants to work but won't. Screen freezes eventually. I am going to pull the pcb and resolder the chip. This console is determined the teach me a thing or two!

• Like 1

I've got a cart 10 that doesn't seat either, but works fine if I can get it to stay put. I've love to know if/how you solve that one!

Yeah, so the weird thing is that every other cart (1-27, except 22) will seat fine and play. I have another Channel F and cart 22 seats fine in that. I don't know what to make of it. I think it is just 1976 funk, so I am ok with that. :)

And yes, I did mean 1-27 (Pac-Man included).

Yes, you nailed it! Thanks a million. Now I have a Slot Machine cart that is not behaving. It won't consistently seat/lock when inserted into the console. I don't see any obvious differences in the case compared to the other carts. When it does seat it wants to work but won't. Screen freezes eventually. I am going to pull the pcb and resolder the chip. This console is determined the teach me a thing or two!

It could be the cart- I have actually encountered dead Channel F carts. I don't know if it was from static electricity or a board component being out of whack, but they do happen. I actually have a few such dead carts. One is even a #23: Galactic Space Wars one. All the rest are commons, luckily.