Photo

7800 not booting, weird display / sound

47 replies to this topic

#26 tep392 OFFLINE  

tep392

River Patroller

• 2,825 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 4:19 PM

Did you give the cartridge port a good cleaning?

#27 AtariLeaf ONLINE  

AtariLeaf

Epic Godlike Canadian

• 10,320 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 5:30 PM

Sounds like one of the main chips might be going out but I'm no expert.

#28 SignGuy81 ONLINE  

SignGuy81

Stargunner

• 1,111 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 5:37 PM

The title is "7800 not booting, weird display / sound" yet I see know mention of the sound issue in the posts.  Also the first post with the videos I'm not seeing the audio cable connected to the TV, just the video cable.  Can you describe what it is doing with the sound, or give us a video as well with the audio connected.

#29 Osgeld OFFLINE  

Osgeld

River Patroller

• 4,415 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 6:11 PM

in theory a 7805 is good for 25 volts ... course cause of the heat dissipation you would have to draw very little current, or bolt it to an ingot  

#30 Nmitchn47 OFFLINE  

Nmitchn47

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted Fri Dec 8, 2017 8:03 AM

Did you give the cartridge port a good cleaning?

Yes, one of the first things I tried. Used both a cartridge to clean and a credit card with a cleaning swab soaked in rubbing alcohol. Slot was not dirty at all. All pins look to be in place and not bent.

The title is "7800 not booting, weird display / sound" yet I see know mention of the sound issue in the posts.  Also the first post with the videos I'm not seeing the audio cable connected to the TV, just the video cable.  Can you describe what it is doing with the sound, or give us a video as well with the audio connected.

This was before I knew the NTSC versions didn't have a boot screen. And yes, the first two videos didn't have the audio cable attached as I was more worried with the game loading. Audio from both jacks of the AV mod are good.

in theory a 7805 is good for 25 volts ... course cause of the heat dissipation you would have to draw very little current, or bolt it to an ingot  

Good to hear. That would be bad since I replaced all the larger electrolytic capacitors.

#31 Nmitchn47 OFFLINE  

Nmitchn47

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted Fri Dec 8, 2017 8:07 AM

Here are two vidoes that I uploaded this morning of the 7800 running a 2600 game and what is doing with a 7800 game. I got Venture to work this morning surprisingly. So it seems (3) 2600 games are working with a few presses of the power button. Take note of the different sounds and screens that are shown with the 7800 Dark Chamber game inserted. Each time I press the power button is something different.  

https://youtu.be/v0mZLunxCH0

https://youtu.be/Zb92OU8_hoM

#32 DrVenkman ONLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 2,414 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Fri Dec 8, 2017 3:39 PM

Have you seen the heatsink on a 7800? :P 

#33 Nmitchn47 OFFLINE  

Nmitchn47

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted Fri Dec 8, 2017 3:52 PM

Have you seen the heatsink on a 7800? :P

Before I cracked open the system, I had never seen one so large for a 9v setup. :o

#34 Nmitchn47 OFFLINE  

Nmitchn47

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted Fri Dec 8, 2017 3:58 PM

I'm following the 7800 repair flowchart and it says to check a low depression on some of the pins. How would one go about doing so?

#35 -^CrožBow^- ONLINE  

-^CrožBow^-

Quadrunner

• 5,315 posts
  • Collector of Fine Atari and Sega Antiquities!

Posted Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:45 PM

Before I cracked open the system, I had never seen one so large for a 9v setup. :o

And yet the 7805 in the 7800 is prone to failure more often than the 2600s 7805 regulators....go figure.

I think the largest heatsink assembly for a 7805 would go to the either the 5200 as it has two of them each with their own large heatsink, or possible the heatsink used on the Genesis model 1, although those heatsinks have two 7805s attached.

#36 SignGuy81 ONLINE  

SignGuy81

Stargunner

• 1,111 posts

Posted Fri Dec 8, 2017 5:06 PM

I'm following the 7800 repair flowchart and it says to check a low depression on some of the pins. How would one go about doing so?

Can you take a pic zoomed in on the cartridge port so we can see the pins.

#37 Osgeld OFFLINE  

Osgeld

River Patroller

• 4,415 posts

Posted Fri Dec 8, 2017 5:32 PM

if you flip the board over there's a couple screws holding the cart guide, take those out and it should come free, then you have a clear view of the connector 

#38 AtariLeaf ONLINE  

AtariLeaf

Epic Godlike Canadian

• 10,320 posts

Posted Fri Dec 8, 2017 8:15 PM

Would a flaky power switch cause these issues? Seems to take a few presses to get a game going.

#39 Osgeld OFFLINE  

Osgeld

River Patroller

• 4,415 posts

Posted Fri Dec 8, 2017 10:27 PM

could be, in the video the LED fires right up though (which is on the 5 volt side of the power on circuit) 

Edited by Osgeld, Fri Dec 8, 2017 10:28 PM.

#40 cbrown319 OFFLINE  

cbrown319

Combat Commando

• 1 posts

Posted Sat Dec 9, 2017 11:55 PM

I’m having a similar issue with my 7800. I was playing it just fine, and switched games and never could get it running again. Anyone have a link listing troubleshooting steps? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#41 Osgeld OFFLINE  

Osgeld

River Patroller

• 4,415 posts

Posted Yesterday, 4:26 PM

just an update on mine, got parts in sometime last week, dropped in a new 74LS32 and a 74LS174, and had already replaced the 4013 and now it boots all the time every time

I got a couple of each so if the OP wants to pay for postage and is willing to solder some chips I don't really need the extra's now

#42 Jinks OFFLINE  

Jinks

River Patroller

• 3,922 posts

Posted Yesterday, 8:21 PM

How manay different games have you tried?
All games clean?
The 7800 hates being dirty.

#43 Nmitchn47 OFFLINE  

Nmitchn47

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted Today, 8:17 AM

Can you take a pic zoomed in on the cartridge port so we can see the pins.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4320.JPG
  • IMG_4322.JPG
  • IMG_4321.JPG

#44 Nmitchn47 OFFLINE  

Nmitchn47

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted Today, 8:24 AM

Would a flaky power switch cause these issues? Seems to take a few presses to get a game going.

Tested it after the regulator didn't work, working good.

#45 Nmitchn47 OFFLINE  

Nmitchn47

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted Today, 8:25 AM

just an update on mine, got parts in sometime last week, dropped in a new 74LS32 and a 74LS174, and had already replaced the 4013 and now it boots all the time every time

I got a couple of each so if the OP wants to pay for postage and is willing to solder some chips I don't really need the extra's now

Osgeld, I would be hugely interested in whatever leftovers you might have. PM me and I'll forward payment via Paypal. :)

#46 -^CrožBow^- ONLINE  

-^CrožBow^-

Quadrunner

• 5,315 posts
  • Collector of Fine Atari and Sega Antiquities!

Posted Today, 8:36 AM

Looking at the first pic, have you verified that those nicked traces about a centimeter from the lower right of the cart port are good? hard to tell in the pic if they are fully intact or not and I believe those traces comes from the rightmost pins off the cart port. Those pins would only be used by 7800 games.

#47 Nmitchn47 OFFLINE  

Nmitchn47

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted Today, 8:45 AM

Looking at the first pic, have you verified that those nicked traces about a centimeter from the lower right of the cart port are good? hard to tell in the pic if they are fully intact or not and I believe those traces comes from the rightmost pins off the cart port. Those pins would only be used by 7800 games.

After looking back on the picture again, you might be on to something. I'll check them out later today.

#48 DrVenkman ONLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 2,414 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Today, 11:14 AM

And yet the 7805 in the 7800 is prone to failure more often than the 2600s 7805 regulators....go figure.

I think the largest heatsink assembly for a 7805 would go to the either the 5200 as it has two of them each with their own large heatsink, or possible the heatsink used on the Genesis model 1, although those heatsinks have two 7805s attached.

The heatsink on the 1200XL is pretty ginormous - also two 7805's, but in that machine, the heatsink also helps the 12V rectifier; what a silly power system design that system has: 9VAC from the wall, rectified to 12VDC, then stepped down by two 7805s to 5VDC. What kind of grass were those guys on? And why they didn't just spec a 9VDC power supply I'll never know.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users