28 replies to this topic

#26 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• Topic Starter
  • 10,463 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Mon Dec 4, 2017 8:16 PM

In the 90s, I would constantly hit salescircular.com for prices on PC upgrade parts, then visit the box stores for price matches on things like CD burners, blank media, USB hubs ...gaah what a racket. It's so nice that things are decently integrated now, that you don't need to futz with dedicated sound boards and the like.

#27 AMenard OFFLINE  

AMenard

Chopper Commander

• 164 posts

Posted Mon Dec 4, 2017 8:26 PM

The C64 was $200 cheaper than the Atari at launch and came with 64k of RAM. What was the advantage of getting an Atari 800?

The C64 at first wasn't all that great. We tend to judge the C64 by the later releases on the system and not on what was available at launch. Both the atari and the apple had a few years under their belt and the games and apps developper had time to learn how to code for those two arch. In the 8bit scene both the atari and the c64 were comparable and would trade blow over their career. Neither disapointed me.

#28 davidcalgary29 OFFLINE  

davidcalgary29

Quadrunner

• 5,485 posts

Posted Mon Dec 4, 2017 8:29 PM

It was much the same in Nova Scotia; I do not remember Sears ever selling video games, but many (most?) of my Atari cartridges came from Consumer's Distributing -- there was a location very close to my house. 

Eaton's sold the Colecovision and, later, the Genesis -- I remember playing demos of both consoles in store. They were sold in the (ground-floor) toy department; the electronics department was upsrtairs on the third floor (with furniture, rugs, etc.).

Did Eaton's still offer a catalogue into the 1980s? I do not recall having seen any after produced about the 1970s.

Yes, I saw Eatons catalogues in the 80s. Cant remember seeing consumer electronics in them, though.

And at least Consumers was better than Service Merchandise. I stopped ordering from them when I heard the thump and rattle as items were thrown on the conveyor belt...

The C64 was $200 cheaper than the Atari at launch and came with 64k of RAM. What was the advantage of getting an Atari 800?

Inferior software selection until 1984. It wasnt clear until later that year that the C64 was going to run away from the field. Plus, the Commodore line (before the Amiga 1000 and the C128) is really, really ugly. :P

#29 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 18,894 posts

Posted Mon Dec 4, 2017 8:34 PM

I remember with the Apple II. It was a non-stop ride of something new every week. Whether it be peripheral card or software or some other add-on. Didn't stop till I got into the PC in 1992/1993

In the 90s, I would constantly hit salescircular.com for prices on PC upgrade parts, then visit the box stores for price matches on things like CD burners, blank media, USB hubs ...gaah what a racket. It's so nice that things are decently integrated now, that you don't need to futz with dedicated sound boards and the like.

I remember that, USB hubs, CD-ROM Multi-Media kits, 2x, 4x, 6x speeds, talk about elite! Arguments over a 2MB or 4MB videocard and which bus and chip it used. Baggghh!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users